Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: why I like aerostitch,

Quote Originally Posted by 35675 View Post
    So, Alex, I've only used Aerostitch myself and I quite like the gear (and the service). I've noticed several times that you feel that the design is outdated. What would you change in the design?
    For starters, I do not want to cart a rainsuit along on my multi-week tours anymore. I know the suit is not claimed to be waterproof and I accepted that for a long time, but no more. I am not interested in the Darien suit. It is supposedly waterproof, but lacks many other features.

Even protection is not what it can or should be.

I will be looking at a Stadler which I will likely pick up in Germany next year.

My roadcrafter is waterproof I wore it through the begining of a hurricane to get out of Fla. once, survived 3 days of rain in Nova Scotia, and 2 days of downpours in the Alps with no problems plus regular rains and the Georgia Mountain Rally this year. It has been as dry as all the rain suits I've had Frog Toggs, BMW, and others.
    Knick
    F800GS
    WR250R
    Vespa ET4

Quote Originally Posted by hexst View Post
    my roadcrafter is waterproof...
    bs!

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    For starters, I do not want to cart a rainsuit along on my multi-week tours anymore. I know the suit is not claimed to be waterproof and I accepted that for a long time, but no more. I am not interested in the Darien suit. It is supposedly waterproof, but lacks many other features.

Even protection is not what it can or should be.

I will be looking at a Stadler which I will likely pick up in Germany next year.
    The reason above- not having to carry a rain suit is exactly why I am stepping up to Rukka gear.
    Hey, out of curiosity,
    how does Stadler compare to Rukka?
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Quote Originally Posted by hexst View Post
    My roadcrafter is waterproof.....

bs!

He didn't say yours was.
    Ride Well

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider88 View Post
    How does Stadler compare to Rukka?
    I've been to some of the large motorcycle gear outlets in Germany where they carry multi lines, so I got to see the products. I prefer the Stadler. Their line is broad, so it matters what you are comparing. I was looking at the upper end gear. I hope to visit their plant next summer. I already punched in their coordinates.

As for how they perform, whenever I get the chance I talk to owners when stopped on the passes. I also ask how long they've had them when asking about how waterproof they are. Gear might perform well in the first year or two...who cares...how does it perform in the fifth or tenth year? But you know how it is, owners have a tough time admitting to faults in anything they own.
    Last edited by GlobalRider; 10-16-2013 at 10:38 PM.

bs!
    Don't know about yours, but my 'stich has almost 200,000 miles on it, been down hard once (subsequently repaired) and among those miles are literally dozens of day-long frog stranglers ... I have never had a single spot of dampness on any clothing under the 'stich. My riding buddy's 'stich is a similar age and similar condition and he, like me, has never had a drop of moisture inside the suit. However, I do treat the suit each year with Nikwax cleaning and re-waterproofing.

Does not matter whether you believe me or not, but there are likely many on this forum with similar testimonials about 'stich products. They work (fact) and they are worth every penny they cost (opinion).
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Quote Originally Posted by sibud View Post
    He didn't say yours was.
    So what you are saying there is no consistency in production?

After 22 years of using one, I'd know. They are sort of waterproof for a half hour and then it also depends on the intensity of the rain. Zippers leak...period!

Try 4 hours in a heavy downpour. Anyone who tells me they are dry in the crotch or chest is full of you know what.

Been over four hours in driving rain no problem you don't have to believe me but you don't have to attack folks who's stuff works.
    Knick
    F800GS
    WR250R
    Vespa ET4

So what you are saying there is no consistency in production?

After 22 years of using one, I'd know. They are sort of waterproof for a half hour and then it also depends on the intensity of the rain. Zippers leak...period!

Try 4 hours in a heavy downpour. Anyone who tells me they are dry in the crotch or chest is full of you know what.
    No, I was just trying to make a lighthearted comment regarding your assertion that others, who claim their Stich suits don't leak, are lying.

YMMV
    Ride Well

11. 10-16-2013, 11:57 PM

Or maybe they are a little more observant.

Sit on your bike wearing a roadcrafter suit. Look down. What do you see? Many (most?) will find a little pocket formed by the bunched material around the crotch. The pocket is made up of waterproof material, but... there is velcro and a zipper at the bottom. Neither Velcro nor the zipper are waterproof. Any water caught int the pocket will leak through the velcro/zipper and give you the infamous 'crafter crotch.

If you grab the loose material and adjust it such that there is no pocket to catch water the roadcrafter will not leak. That does assume that at some time you've applied sealer to the full length of the zipper tape. It is a pain, though, as moving around on the bike is likely to lead to the re-formation of the pocket. For that reason I prefer a Darien for long rides. My roadcrafter suit is used for running errands and other shortish rides.
    Last edited by marchyman; 10-18-2013 at 10:08 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    If you grab the loose material and adjust it such that there is no pocket to catch water the roadcrafter will not leak.
    My experience as well. I just reach under the jacket and give the waistline a tug up, no wet crotch. I do however get wet underarms if I forget to close the vents. I also have found a good wash then hanging it outside on a tree branch to fully dry and then liberally applying heavy duty Scotchguard works better than Nikwax.
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

I know Aerostich changed their zippers a year or two ago, supposedly to prevent the crotch leakage problem.

Anyone able to compare old vs. new?
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

The new zippers will keep water out longer than the old zippers. That said, if the zipper and velcro are at the bottom of a pocket full of water the only difference is how long it takes for the water to leak through. The new zippers won't prevent crotch leak, it may slow it down.

I find riding with beads helps reduce crotch leak, no matter what suit I am riding in.
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com