• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Need a new bike....had an RT considering a 1600

Yammer

R1200RT Accept No Other
A month ago I had a bad accident with my RT and am currently in the hospital recovering. I will be okay but got some serious healing to do, sadly my 08 RT is in a better place now. I will ride again and want to give a fair shot at my options. I had over 90k km's on my bike and loved it.*Has anyone reading this gone from an RT to a 1600 and if so could you share your thoughts on good and bad?

I currently am awaiting word on the 2014 RT not sure why its taking so long.... but since I have been waiting I got thinking maybe I should consider the 1600 also.

So I appreciate any feedback...and it gives me something to do as I can't currently walk and won't be able to for a little while yet. Got a lot of time on my arse to read.

Thanks for any input.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4

Heal quick, new RT's out in a few months
Went from a 1200gs to the 1600. Weights more for sure, power comparison, their is none as the 1600 has it all
I too am waiting to try the new RT, 100 pounds less weight 130hp may be the ticket, but the 1600 is sooo smooth

K1600gt

Get well soon! Here's an idea,I bought a slightly used 2012 K1600GT with 6K miles. It is BMW #11 for me and bike #29. I kept my 2003 R1150RT, but have not ridden it since the purchase in June. I traded in a 2009 R1200GSA and a 1982 R100 RT that just didn't get ridden enough. I was waiting for the new RT but don't expect to see one until maybe December or later. Thought about the 2014 GT sport which is just now arriving but the GT I bought was loaded and cost less than all the above, but had a sticker of $28K. I am very happy with the GT and put 6K trouble free miles on in 100 days. I don't know if you have ridden one, but the test ride sold me. I had ridden the GTL and didn't really care that much for it. The GT feels right to me and the power is addictive. I don't really like riding some of my other bikes due to lack of power handling. I find the GT easier to handle in a parking lot than the GSA since I can get both feet firmly down and it does not feel as "tippy" as the GSA which fell over a few times due to not being able to support the weight and balance. Consider riding a used GT if you can locate one they represent a lot of value.

I have a 05 RT and am waiting for the new 14 RT's to come out. I have been thinking of riding a K1600. Which ever way I go, it will be our 4th BMW. Really, its a good thing to have the problem of deciding between a couple of cool bikes. Can't wait to ride the new wet head RT !
Hope you get well soon ! Let us know which bike you choose.

Update ! Rode the K1600GTL today. Really like the bike, on the plus side.... super smooth engine, very easy to ride, great balance, fast, fun ! On the down side, lots more wind and wind noise than my RT, about 20mpg less than the RT, didn't seem to handle as well as the RT in the curves but that just might take some getting used to the bike. Overall a great machine, I like the K bikes but I think I love the R bikes. Based on this 1 hr. test ride, my wife and I think we will stay with the RT. Thats just our opinion, we know others would choose the K1600 but thats what makes the world go round.
Hope you get well soon !

Sounds like the OP and I are in similar situations. My new-to-me RT was totaled in a hit/run accident a couple of months ago, and I've been healing for the last 8 weeks. I had the same question (RT or GTL), and I got rid of my cane 2 weeks ago so my doctor said I could ride if I wanted. So today I test rode an RT and a GTL to answer the question to my satisfaction. I rode each about 45 minutes, mixed freeway and curvy roads. Enough to reacquaint myself with the RT and make an educated decision.

RT and GT both have a more sporty position (and seat height) than the GTL, and I had been trying (with mixed success) to make the RT ergos work. I found the seating position on the GTL worked great for me. More upright, could flatfoot the bike (29" inseam), actually narrower at the seat (didn't spread my still-healing hips as far). The RT I tried had the low seat/low position which is advertised by BMW as having the same 29.5" seat hight as the GTL but the best I could do on the RT was put the balls of both feet on the ground. RT stock seat is considered by some (including me) to be a piece of ****. I never even noticed the GTL seat, which is a statement in itself. GTL pulls from idle, never needed to see 3500 RPM and still moved out smartly. Of course the RT doesn't really show any signs of life until 3500. The six will surely get your attention if you whack it open, though. I felt like I got more engine braking on the RT. The GTL is a couple hundred pounds heavier than the RT but still way lighter than the Goldwing I traded on the RT. Longer wheelbase made a noticible difference in ride, although neither matched the Lexus I drove to the dealer :)

I didn't play too much with the various controls, although I did cycle through the modes (Rain, Normal, Dynamic) and there is a definite difference in throttle response. Not sure how much I'd use it though, probably just set it to Normal and leave it alone. Same with ESA - I'm not a good enough rider to really take full advantage of it. On my RT I just set it to normal, 1+luggage and left it alone. I like the RT's dedicated buttons for grip and seat heaters as opposed having to cycle through menus with the the wonderwheel on the GTL. The GTL relies much more on the wonderwheel than the RT, and I expect the RTW will be the same way when it's finally released. On the one hand it cuts down the button count, on the other you have to pay more attention to the dash instead of what's around you. Not good for the easily distracted.

Mirrors on the RT showed my hands and the underside of my forearms, plus some of the road. Mirrors on the GTL were higher and much more useful, so I saw a little of my shoulder and much more road. Also, I didn't have to move my eyes so far from straight ahead to check the mirrors. I preferred looking over the RT windshield instead of through the one on the GTL. The K1600GT windshield is shorter and narrower than the GTL, and has a lowered center so you can look over it. The sales guy suggested buying one of each and using the GTL windshield for weather protection and the GT for hot weather. The air wings on the GTL are quite effective but increase the noise level noticeably. I usually wear earplugs but didn't for these rides. On the RT I mostly heard wind noise at a constant speed, on the GTL I heard the exhaust. The dealer sent me out with no panniers on either bike in case their demo bikes wanted to take a nap (they didn't), but I doubt if putting them back on would make much of a difference.

I've been hearing complaints of driveshaft lash and transmission clunks on the GTL but didn't experience either on the one I rode. I thought the GTL shifted much better than the RT. Can't say I experienced either the buffeting some have reported on the GTL. There were neither crosswinds nor high-speed trucks on my ride so I have no opinion on the wandering in crosswinds or next to trucks that others have reported.

The RT is fun to ride but doesn't fit me. The GTL just fits me out of the box. It's a different experience but one I think I'll enjoy more than the RT, given the way I use my bike. I plan to ride a GTL home next weekend.

Awesome info

Thanks so much for the feedback so far. Extremely informative and words of support are always appreciated.

Wbrownell9, yaaaa sounds like you got hammered too. At week 8 they say I may be able to put weight on one of my feet and start hard core therepy to get walking again....very frustrating. Excellant info though thanks so much and hope yoru healing is on schedule also.

If anyone else has input I am still all ears. If I was to go the 1600 I thnk I would be more inclined to go to the GT I think, I am about 6' 1" so height isn't a big deal for me. RT has me folded a bit at times. I have read a lot of trash talk on the RT seat but in all honesty...I never had issue with it. I've done 5000 km long weekends too. I am a little concerned about the control wheel. I've heard about some fail issues on it and its pretty pricy. I have always loved the handling of the RT and a interested in if the ride in corners is comparable or better b one or the other.

Yammer

Just my opinion but the RT handles much better in the curves.

+1 That said, I'm still going with the GTL because, much as I wish it were otherwise, the RT just wasn't working for me.

Yammer, hope you heal fast and well, and are 100% by the time next year's riding season begins.

Great write-up on your experience with the K1600. I too found the GTL suited my riding style much better than the GT. It was easier on my aging framework and very comfortable to ride. There are some issues with longevity of electrical switches and water pumps but if you buy into one knowing about these matters you will not be surprised. The K1600 isn't a perfect motorcycle, but it is the best one out there for me at the present time. I am still not going to sell off thinking about the RTW though. I will have to try one out before doing that. The potential is there at 130 hp for a very spirited motorcycle. I doubt it will be as smooth an engine as the K1600, but one never knows. RT's always seem to handle much better due to less weight so a test ride will be in order to prove or disprove.

Again, thanks for sharing your experience........

Rick

Great feedback

Thanks again everyone for feed back and words of encouragement. I'm hoping to be able to try walking next week if the medical gods approve....interesting to see if these appendages still work (six weeks in a wheel chair does suck seriously).

Does anyone have any idea when an announcment of the RTW may be made....even a best guess.....? it is so quiet on the subject....I am tired of all the links to the camoflaged ones in the parking lot in the video. Looks cool but how close to the end product are they. I have no problem finding info on the GT LOL.

I also had taken a Ducati Mutistrada out for a test ride prior to the incident and must say it has some pony I liked it but too much sport for the current riding I am doing and forsee doing (long exploratory rides into twisty situations). The RT never let me down on long rides no matter what the weather and I have ridden in some nasty stuff. One of the guys in the local shop got taking to me about the new gs and how the new engine on it made it a completely new bike. I foresee that may be the story with the new RT as it should be the same engine. Just don't want the RT getting too big. This is where I hesitate with the GT....size. It sure is heavier. But any reviews I've read say it handles like a lot lighter bike. That is why I feel I should consider it. I had looked at the Triumph Trophy and it is such an RT knockoff I'm suprised they are not getting sued LOL. It does bug me that the press seems to have forgotten about the RT even going so far to compare the GT to the Trophy when that is not what it went against it was made to compete against the RT. The chief designer even admitted they used the best sport tour bike to model after....the RT. Did sit on one and it was a bit bigger feeling but no experience riding and know no one who has ridden on one. The british bike mags love it....of course....still bitter about the war thing I suspect LOL (yes an obvious bias).

The more opinions of people riding the GT's the better

Thanks again

Yammer

Thanks again everyone for feed back and words of encouragement. I'm hoping to be able to try walking next week if the medical gods approve....interesting to see if these appendages still work (six weeks in a wheel chair does suck seriously).

Does anyone have any idea when an announcment of the RTW may be made....even a best guess.....? it is so quiet on the subject....I am tired of all the links to the camoflaged ones in the parking lot in the video. Looks cool but how close to the end product are they. I have no problem finding info on the GT LOL.

I also had taken a Ducati Mutistrada out for a test ride prior to the incident and must say it has some pony I liked it but too much sport for the current riding I am doing and forsee doing (long exploratory rides into twisty situations). The RT never let me down on long rides no matter what the weather and I have ridden in some nasty stuff. One of the guys in the local shop got taking to me about the new gs and how the new engine on it made it a completely new bike. I foresee that may be the story with the new RT as it should be the same engine. Just don't want the RT getting too big. This is where I hesitate with the GT....size. It sure is heavier. But any reviews I've read say it handles like a lot lighter bike. That is why I feel I should consider it. I had looked at the Triumph Trophy and it is such an RT knockoff I'm suprised they are not getting sued LOL. It does bug me that the press seems to have forgotten about the RT even going so far to compare the GT to the Trophy when that is not what it went against it was made to compete against the RT. The chief designer even admitted they used the best sport tour bike to model after....the RT. Did sit on one and it was a bit bigger feeling but no experience riding and know no one who has ridden on one. The british bike mags love it....of course....still bitter about the war thing I suspect LOL (yes an obvious bias).

The more opinions of people riding the GT's the better

Thanks again

Yammer

Ahhhhh Yes, the Ducati Multistrada! The only bike that could potentially tear my BMW away from me. The Multistrada is one very nice motorcycle and a pure gas to ride!!!

Rick

Just my opinion but the RT handles much better in the curves.

You guys with that opinion are a rather small group. If I consider my own experience and that of basically every motorjournalist and tester out there, there is no way I can agree with that. Yes, the K16 is rather heavy, but that weight totally vanishes once it is rolling. I am doing things with my GT, two-up,
that I can not do with any other bike I ride or ever rode two-up, including the latest R1200RT.

Better step up to get the new RT

Both of my local dealers have been taking names and deposits for the new RT and GSAW since June. I would bet the original shipments are spoken for. I think there was a similar situation for the GSW when released. If you are going to want a bike in the Spring I would think you should talk to your dealer and let them know you are interested.

I had a K1200GT that I loved. I was in an accident and they totaled the bike. I picked up a new K1600GTL and did not like it as much as the K1200GT. I replaced the original seat with a Corbin Seat and it feels great. Just like the K1200Gt.

It's been decided

Hi All,

Thanks for the input everyone. I've made it home from the hospital, can almost walk....and the big unveil happened in Milan of the new RT.....

Dang it...seems one of the pics nabbed me. It looks good...somethings not liking on the look....but most I am really liking. The geometry looks good and I like some of the new options.....needless to say. My deposit is in and a new loaded Quartz Blue 2014 RT is currently in the que to be built for lil ole me. I may have the first one here..... wahoo....

I am pretty pumped to hop on it. Ordered it with the higher seat and all the options. I feel that is better for value retention later. I was very presently surprised with the payout of my 2008 RT .... it sadly didn't do as well as me in the crash (not that I did that great shattered ankle, busted and dislocated other foot, several broke ribs, two fingers broke, both knees torn mcl's and an acl, punctured lung, cut liver, some road rash and a kick in the knarlies to the pride LOL). Hard to engineer in 600 feet of violent bouncing in the design I guess (gps tracked it and yup it bounced for 600 feet...me another 20 yards lol). Witnesses said it was pretty spectacular. Ah well that is all done I am looking forward to being healed up and hopping on me new ride.

Thanks again for the input all.

You guys with that opinion are a rather small group. If I consider my own experience and that of basically every motorjournalist and tester out there, there is no way I can agree with that. Yes, the K16 is rather heavy, but that weight totally vanishes once it is rolling. I am doing things with my GT, two-up,
that I can not do with any other bike I ride or ever rode two-up, including the latest R1200RT.

Have you done any track days at Nelson Ledges on the big K? Just kidding:whistle

Have you done any track days at Nelson Ledges on the big K? Just kidding:whistle

Not a track day, but I've done a lap on the Indy MotoGP track on mine - was a major hoot. Felt like my elbow was dragging, but bet photos would show I was almost vertical. :)

:laugh If I would take it to a track, it would be Mid-Ohio, which I prefer over Nelson Ledges. That being said, I have to add that I have no desire to take the K16 to a track day. I have several other bikes that are always in line ahead of the GT for an activity like that. If you read my post again, my positive comments about the K16 were made regarding two-up riding
Track days can have a variety of purposes:
- you get to know your bike better in a controlled environment and learn how it reacts when you approach the limits of the equipment and your skills
- you hone your skills as far as turning, breaking and accelerating is concerned - you can do this on a school bike
- you get additional practice time for a specific track before a club race
- you satisfy your need for going fast and you do this in a realtively safe way without public traffic or the police interfering.

Back