• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Lima Chamber of Commerce (Thumbs Down)

bmwgreenrt

Retired Firefighter
I just called and spoke with a Shelly at the Lima Chamber of Commerce.

I am a really easy going kind of guy and was just calling to ask if she could recommend an Italian restaurant for a small group dinner.
She told me that there would be information available at the check-in.
I told her that I was trying to make reservations in advance as I was going on the road today.

Then she said that the "BMW" people calling in are all in a hurry and cannot wait and accused me of having the same attitude. She also stated that she had dealt with GoldWing people for functions and that they all treated her like a sweetheart. I explained that our group is every bit as nice and cordial as any other group. She said I didn't need to have an attitude?????

I immediately asked her what I had done to offend her and that I felt in no way that I had any kind of attitude. She said that we just were not as nice as the Goldwing peope.
I said " If you cannot be bothered to help me than I am sorry you feel that way" and I hung up.

This really pissed me off. I'll still be coming to the rally, but I sure won't give the time of day to any Chamber of Commerce people.
Maybe she was having a bad day...but if that is the case she should not have a position dealing with people.

I sure hope the rest of the city isn't like her.

Had to vent,
Jim

You called the Chamber? The Visitors and Convention Bureau would be better; they are quite helpful, and are involved in the Rally. Anyway, just call Burgundys at 419-224-5080. They are the ticket! Also check out the several posts re; restaraunts.................
You can call me at 419-234-4155 for any other help or specifics.
Mike Baker

Edit; quick research shows no Shelly at the Chamber, but two Sherrys at the Visitors Bureau. I called them and requested that if the call came to them, that it wasn't received well.

Last edited:
Mike,
Thanks for the response, I will check into Burgundy's :)
As for the Chamber, The number I found online and called to, was
419-222-6045. The person answering the call switched me to "Shelly".

Thanks also for the call you put in to them in reference to my complaint.

am i the only one with the urge to sneak into lima in the middle of the night and spray paint, "GOLDWINGS RULE!" across the front door of the chamber of commerce?

username said:
am i the only one with the urge to sneak into lima in the middle of the night and spray paint, "GOLDWINGS RULE!" across the front door of the chamber of commerce?

I'll be your alibi.

username said:

I say paint it across the whole trailer, not just the door

I have spent a whole lot of time with the wing crowd before I purchased the LT and I can tell you that the Wingers are much more friendly than the BMW crowd. I think it has to do more with the age of the riders than anything else. Wingers have all day to chat about the grandkids, wait in line at resturants, etc...

Its my expereince that the majority of the BMW riders have not yet hit retirement. As a group, we have to rush around to get in our fun becuase we have such little free time to stop and smell the roses. If given the choice to "stay home becuase "X" activity is too far away" or "bullet up to the next rally - get in as much as you can - bullet home" the BMW riders chose the latter. We always have somewhere to go and not a lot of time to get there. Our haste can sometimes be viewed as arrogance to people that dont really know us.

So done your tee shirt and shorts, zip tie a little stuffed animal to the front of your bike and head to the furthest Dairy Queen in your state. Bring a wallet full of "fake" grandchildren pictures to show around and expereince what its like to be one of the "nicest people" crowd.

Jim in Dublin, OH

jsciullo said:
So done your tee shirt and shorts, zip tie a little stuffed animal to the front of your bike and head to the furthest Dairy Queen in your state. Bring a wallet full of "fake" grandchildren pictures to show around and expereince what its like to be one of the "nicest people" crowd.

Jim in Dublin, OH
You forgot the AARP card so you can get the Banana Split at a 20% discount!! AARP cards DO come in the owners manual don't they??

This is the email I got from the Convention and Visitors Bureau this a.m. (The phone number above IS for the Chamber, and they should be bypassed.)

Hi Mike,

So good to hear from yousorry about the circumstances of the email however. There is no Shelly here at the Convention Bureau but I will research this with my staff and if necessary go down to the Chamber of Commerce to check into it as I know theyre getting lots of calls too. Either way, Ill take care of it.

We are looking forward to having the BMW Rally in town and hope everyone has a great time. I was at the fairgrounds yesterday and will be back and forth out there the rest of the week and weekend. IÔÇÖm looking forward to meeting lots of people and do hope they enjoy our community.

Thank you again for contacting me. Have a good week ahead.

Mike, you deserve a real pat on the back and thank you for following up on this matter. And it's nice to know it's taken seriously. Thank you.

Gold Winger's Requirements

I think Jim Scuillo hit the nail on the head- different priorities for a much busier younger age group.

My (younger) wife, a longtime committed BMW K75s'er ("it's not just a bike...") tells me that the other two requirements for Gold Wing ownership (apart from the AARP) are 1) being within one move from the nursing home, and 2) ownership of Farmer Bob overalls as your preferred riding getup. I myself wouldn't know...

She wouldn't be caught dead driving a bike with reverse....

Back