• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

State of Tourism in WV

I agree totally on the great riding available in West Virginia......................it's our favorite destination by far!
I started this tread because I see a diminishing tourist industry, not a lack of great roads, wonderful people or beautiful scenery.

jason

The mountain counties near me in VA, NC, WV, TN and KY have been hit hard by more than the decline in coal. The area has also suffered from the textile and furniture manufacturing that has moved to foreign countries. With the good riding roads, beautiful mountains and friendly people, we have to evolve and promote the area's advantages with tourism. We have been promoting the Back of the Dragon to draw more people to the area so we can get more restaurants, motels and other attractions. However, the problem is a chicken and egg problem. Tourists don't come because there are few places to eat and sleep. We can't get motels and restaurants to locate here because we can't show enough people to make it profitable for them.

I'm not sure the closing and deteriorating motels and restaurants is as much a matter of a diminishing tourist industry as much as a declining of other industry. The motels and restaurants were build to service mining and manufacturing industries and the tourist business was a bonus. When mining and manufacturing fell, the tourism part of their business was not enough to sustain them.

Much of PA & WV are affected by coal decline & poverty-a fact! My part/county of eastern KY has zero coal. We were poor before,during & after each boom cycle. Having moved here by choice in 1973 from my native KS I was often asked why did you come? My patent answer has always been that "my area" has all the "right things wrong with it"! I used to tell my people in KS (when hearing a hard times story) that they didn't really know what hard times were ( my Mom & other dust bowl people knew/know as she lived on squirrels during the depression!)
Where I live: there are no mansions beside the home's of the poor here. There are no coal trucks. There are(never have been) zero factories. There are no motels. There are no doctors,dentists(as in live here) or -yes we have a couple of lawyers and they moved in from NJ & ?.There are zero red lights. Zero jails. No fast foods-we do have one Subway & two Dollar stores.
I wish I could say zero crime but it is the real world and pillheads & drugs are here like elsewhere...fewer though I suppose.
What we do have is forest, lots of it!-A 2012 tornado totally wiped out one of our most scenic areas & a nearby town.
Cliffs, lots of them! Critters, lots of them too-huge Primitive Weapons Hunting Area too. Hills, (called mountains here) and I live in/on/amongst them & this is my home in spite of no jobs,no lot of things- you name it! Oh, the roads are twisty & we have a beautiful Corps of Engineers lake-very scenic & closed for now. This county is cleaner than most any "coal county" & lacks most all of the franchise type businesses you do see (open or closed) in coal counties, WV,PA,VA,TN or KY.
Watch what you wish for?:thumb

How do you know this? I worked with people who lived in the coal fields for 25+ years. I didn't find anyone who thought it was paradise. Most of the folks who live there would love change if it improved their lives but it has not been forthcoming because businesses won't move to where it is far more expensive to build as well as transport goods and raw materials to and from isolated locations. People are reluctant to leave the support of family and friends to move to places they don't know regardless of where they live.

I'm done.
I thought you were done? Ha! I knew you were too passionate about your mountains...:dance:thumb

Much of PA & WV are affected by coal decline & poverty-a fact!

Kantuckid,

I appreciate your attempt to moderate this side issue. And yes, these regions do offer wonderful riding, especially for those folks that live nearby in the suburban sprawl of DC, Northern VA and Southeastern PA. But, when we talk of the "Coal Industry", many of us in our 50's knew that as the dead industry that father's and grand-fathers talked about. Remember that Jack Riepe story in the ON a few years ago about the MACPAC ride to Centralia, PA? That mine fire was started in 1962 and the mines were abandoned at that time!

During the oil crisis in the early 1970's there was bit a resurgence when the price rose due to demand as an alternate to oil, but that was short lived. During the following decades, as the price of electricity dropped, most all of the domestic manufacturers of boilers, combusters, turbines and generators went out business due to lack of demand. Today, we produce electricity using very old equipment and the cheapest fuel. The new abundance of NG is great and the GE tubine-generator systems can be delivered for modular construction, but why build new, clean and efficient when old and acceptable allows you to produce cheap electricity?

So, when someone laments the "Coal Industry", I do feel sorry for those folks economically displaced near the strip mines But, those jobs truly went away more than 50's years ago, when Pittsburgh still made steel. Today, coal is just a cheap fuel, burnt in old powerplants, maintained with imported parts. Accordingly, we don't need anyone that knows about building or designing this type of equipment until the powerplants become truly unrepairable in, perhaps, a few more decades. In other words, just like those taxi cabs in Havana.......those Desoto's and Hudson's are still moving.

Kantuckid,

I appreciate your attempt to moderate this side issue. And yes, these regions do offer wonderful riding, especially for those folks that live nearby in the suburban sprawl of DC, Northern VA and Southeastern PA. But, when we talk of the "Coal Industry", many of us in our 50's knew that as the dead industry that father's and grand-fathers talked about. Remember that Jack Riepe story in the ON a few years ago about the MACPAC ride to Centralia, PA? That mine fire was started in 1962 and the mines were abandoned at that time!

During the oil crisis in the early 1970's there was bit a resurgence when the price rose due to demand as an alternate to oil, but that was short lived. During the following decades, as the price of electricity dropped, most all of the domestic manufacturers of boilers, combusters, turbines and generators went out business due to lack of demand. Today, we produce electricity using very old equipment and the cheapest fuel. The new abundance of NG is great and the GE tubine-generator systems can be delivered for modular construction, but why build new, clean and efficient when old and acceptable allows you to produce cheap electricity?

So, when someone laments the "Coal Industry", I do feel sorry for those folks economically displaced near the strip mines But, those jobs truly went away more than 50's years ago, when Pittsburgh still made steel. Today, coal is just a cheap fuel, burnt in old powerplants, maintained with imported parts. Accordingly, we don't need anyone that knows about building or designing this type of equipment until the powerplants become truly unrepairable in, perhaps, a few more decades. In other words, just like those taxi cabs in Havana.......those Desoto's and Hudson's are still moving.

http://www.tricities.com/news/article_d9aff672-3653-56d8-a3dc-8b3dfd1f152c.html

Ok, so trying to stay on focus ..........................

Is anyone going to Bridge Day this coming weekend?
http://www.officialbridgeday.com/

After staying in Richwood WV at the 4 season motel last year and being disappointed in it's condition & lack of upkeep we're staying this year at the Mineral Springs Motel in Webster Springs. Drove through the parking lot two weeks ago and the place looks nice.
http://www.mineralspringsmotel.net/

jason

Thanks for demonstrating my point.............sift through the website and find out who equipment fabricators were?

The only mention I see is one of Toshiba for the generator assembly which was shipped from Japan.. For all the verbiage, there is no picture of the prime mover which should be even more massive than the generator. However, It's probably safe to assume that Toshiba built the steam turbine, also.

So, while you can be happy that local funds supported this project to use coal, the valued added plant equipment was purchased from a non-domestic supplier so the profit and design experience went to a foreign country. The local residents get to dig coal and pay the bills to build and operate the plant.

So, which do you want to be...........The guy that designs and builds the value added equipment or the guy that digs the coal and pays the smart guy for his equipment & expertise?

Ok, so trying to stay on focus ..........................

Is anyone going to Bridge Day this coming weekend?
http://www.officialbridgeday.com/

After staying in Richwood WV at the 4 season motel last year and being disappointed in it's condition & lack of upkeep we're staying this year at the Mineral Springs Motel in Webster Springs. Drove through the parking lot two weeks ago and the place looks nice.
http://www.mineralspringsmotel.net/

jason
Wouldn't that be nice.......

Thanks for demonstrating my point.............sift through the website and find out who equipment fabricators were?

The only mention I see is one of Toshiba for the generator assembly which was shipped from Japan.. For all the verbiage, there is no picture of the prime mover which should be even more massive than the generator. However, It's probably safe to assume that Toshiba built the steam turbine, also.

So, while you can be happy that local funds supported this project to use coal, the valued added plant equipment was purchased from a non-domestic supplier so the profit and design experience went to a foreign country. The local residents get to dig coal and pay the bills to build and operate the plant.

So, which do you want to be...........The guy that designs and builds the value added equipment or the guy that digs the coal and pays the smart guy for his equipment & expertise?
If you guys would like, I can move all the posts about the industry that has left the area and why it's no longer viable into a separate thread of it's own and the OP can get back to the roads in the area. Just let me know the post numbers and what you would like it titled.
Gary

Wouldn't that be nice.......

If you guys would like, I can move all the posts about the industry that has left the area and why it's no longer viable into a separate thread of it's own and the OP can get back to the roads in the area. Just let me know the post numbers and what you would like it titled.
Gary

Gary,

You're right. I'll shut-up.

Jon

The hospitality industry crashed with the economy. It has not fully recovered, and it probably never will. Franchise Chain motels are a tough thing, the chain sucks off the top, you compete with the little guys. The American owned, owner lives there and does much of the work is still viable. If the owner is talented at fixing and plumbing. (broken toilet seats from the 300+ lb asses and people that can **** a hedge apple). You will have customers that can destroy an anvil with a q tip. Stolen towels, etc, ruined carpet and beds. And BED BUGS. It is a tough industry.

Rod

I understand the intent behind initiating this thread. Recent economic realities and technological advancement have re-defined the landscape for many of the areas in Canada where I spent my youth and earlier working years. I don't have to look very far right now to find close family members who are out of work. In some cases it's because they haven't kept pace with the evolving workforce, in others it's because they couldn't for one reason or another.

The only reason that I became interested in visiting WV at all was from reading comments in the AdvRider Forum. I lived in Washington DC for five years at one point (was not motorcycle touring then) and there were no "tourist brochures" attracting me to WV at that time - so, I never went. Other Forum threads contain comments relative to Deals Gap and WV like, "... there's no need to drive any further south than WV...." and other similar comments. These comments, along with the fact that I had previously ridden many of the fantastic roads further south (so I had a benchmark for comparisons) peaked my interest and I just had to experience WV for myself.

I was not disappointed and I am very grateful to those on the Forum who have posted their riding experiences in that great State. I only spent 2.5 days in WV and it was not enough. When I left, I continued on into PA where once again the Forum had prepared me for some great roads, attractions that I would not otherwise thought of and experiences. I've told my friends who haven't been to WV that they don't know what they're missing.

I guess that's my long-winded way of saying that this Forum has been a considerable influence in selecting my adventure interests. Everyone's viewpoints have been invaluable in my trip planning, gear purchases and other interests. I have several other adventures in the planning stage but I will definitely be getting back to WV at some point.

I

I guess that's my long-winded way of saying that this Forum has been a considerable influence in selecting my adventure interests. Everyone's viewpoints have been invaluable in my trip planning, gear purchases and other interests. I have several other adventures in the planning stage but I will definitely be getting back to WV at some point.
Great :thumb Welcome to the forum.
Gary

We've stayed at the Brazen Head a few times. The rooms are cozy and nice. The bar and restaurant leave a lot to be desired, mostly at a service level. I understand Will, the innkeeper recently had a major health scare so I'm not sure what's happening there now. I was last there in May.

There is a decent restaurant over on the river in Marlinton but I don't know the name of it. It's nothing fancy, just good down home food.

The riding area can't be beat in that area tho.

Across near Buckhannon is the Stonewall Resort. Great roads to ride over that way too. The resort is beautiful with three good restaurants, a golf course, spa, indoor and outdoor pool, hot tub, and all the ameneties you'd expect. Also a camp ground and marina. There are some nice sites to visit like the Stonewall Jackson birthplace and the insane asylum if you're into the haunted tours. Of course this all comes with a price tag of $100+ per night. Worth an annual visit in my opinion tho! :whistle

Gary,

You're right. I'll shut-up.

Jon

Me too! I will throw out that this is more like school than a real conversation? Hard to talk about the topic-"State of Tourism in WV" when the state lines are sort of blurry here in this area & the economies are a wreck...

Go to www.motorcycleroads.us , then to WV if you want some more curvy roads & rider comments to pick & choose. :D

a bright spot

Well we found a bright spot in the West Virginia Tourism world...........

The Mineral Springs Motel in Webster Springs WV. http://www.mineralspringsmotel.net/

The motel was clean, well cared for, and inviting! The rooms are HUGE and seem to be well cared for. There were tables and chairs in front of every rooms, a BBQ in the yard, picnic tables and a spot for a campfire. There is a community pool just across the walking bridge that you can use in the summer time for $3.00 a day

4 choices of places to eat, 2 diners, on full service restaurant and a Subway; within walking distance, and nice big new Stop n Go station for gas, beer and coffee in the morning.

Great riding too! Route 20 & 15 are sure to please and there are plenty of county roads, both paved and dirt nearby.

Price was right too with an additional discount if paying with Cash.

We'll go back.
Jason

Does anyone have a listing of good motorcycle camping (tent) in WV? Especially along Rt. 77. I'm from Ohio and make the trip to SC a few times a year, and would like to do the trip on my BMW.

Thanks,
JimmyLee

Does anyone have a listing of good motorcycle camping (tent) in WV? Especially along Rt. 77. I'm from Ohio and make the trip to SC a few times a year, and would like to do the trip on my BMW.

Thanks,
JimmyLee

Camping in WVa:eek You never watched the movie "Deliverance", I take it:brow

Back