• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2010 K1300GT Advice

matchless1227

Long time motorcyclist (40 years ) who bought my first BMW motorcycle this past March. Previously owned many bikes that were either British or Japanese. Not a kid any more and not a large man I opted to buy a F800GT.
From a size and weight perspective the 800 appealed to me and I must admit it is a fine bike but at highway speeds being a twin it vibrates and lacks the all around power, that for me at least is problematic.
Certainly not a deal breaker but for those retro moments when I like to twist the throttle I find myself wishing for more.
Soooooo last week in my area a very clean, fully optioned, low mileage, ( 16,175 ) 2010 Red K1300GT became available. Not being even close to a BMW aficionado I was hoping for some expert advice from MOA members about that K bike and it's easy of riding for a rider of average skills and stature?
The asking price is $13,500
Thanks in advance for your valuable input.
Mitchell

This post is in the wrong place- the motor is a wedge motor, not a brick.

Mod attention please...

The 1300 is the end of the 4 cyl K bikes. As such it has improvements or fixes to most of the problems of the earlier version, the 06-08 K1200.

The bike is not a comfortable as an RT but has more top end power. (I own both). The services are much more work and therefore more expensive. It shares many of the design flaws of the R bikes in addition to its own unique ones.

Its got enough power to get you in serious trouble. I much prefer my RT for touring- the K's are more for local fun. Others may differ..

Price is OK but may be bargainable- there is a less demand for 4 cyl Ks than used Rs. The owner has already or probably wants to trade for 6.

The 4-cylinder GT's are extraordinary machines.
But, I agree that they have a lot of quirks that can be expensive. If you have the opportunity to get an extended warranty, do it. Mine has paid for itself several times over.
With the right seat, it's a great tourer. I ride several times at 5-6 hour stretches without issues, stopping only for gas and water. But I do most of my riding in the local canyons and mountains. It's great in the twisties.
It has insane amounts of power, and it took me a while to learn to ride slowly. At first it was like, "I'm already speeding, and I haven't shifted into 2nd yet..." It's intoxicating, so be careful.
If this one comes with ASC, that's a big bonus. I've activated mine a few times.
I also have a GS (boxer engine), and I really like the smoothness of the 4-cylinder by comparison.

The RT, on the other hand, is a fantastic tourer as well. Several of my buddies ride them. They're pretty bulletproof compared to the GT. My friend just sold his RT and bought the F800GT, and he loves it. He just came back from a 20-day California tour on it.

Bottom line:
If you feel the need for speed (and can live with the issues), The K1300GT will make you very happy. Like INSANE happy. 'Weeping tears of joy' kind of happy.
If you want a great tourer that's more reliable than the GT, and still has respectable power, maybe the RT is a better choice.
My opinion, based on my buddy's experience, is that the F800GT is a really good compromise between both. He is a lot faster, especially in the canyons, on the 800 than he was on the RT.

I agree with all of the above except I wouldn't call a GT great in NC twisties which are typically tight. The GT is heavy and has a long wheelbase, both of which work against it. Its OK but not great. The real strength of K bikes is wider sweepers where the long wheelbase and power make hard drives out of corners easy, not the back and forth of tight radius S types.

The RT has enough weight up high that riding it quickly in twisties requires moving body mass around on the bike or putting up with the sore wrists that will result from forcing it into turns without that.

The GS is the lightest handling of the larger BMW bikes in tighter twisties with a small advantage over the RT.

I do not know if the K1300 has some of the handling issues of the earlier K1200- a few of which had premature ball joint wear that causes back and forth wandering off a straight line track- its recognized by the fact that its at its worst or may first appear when the bike gets new tires. Can be easily spotted in a short test ride on the highway if present.

The 4-cylinder GT's are extraordinary machines.
But, I agree that they have a lot of quirks that can be expensive. If you have the opportunity to get an extended warranty, do it. Mine has paid for itself several times over.
With the right seat, it's a great tourer. I ride several times at 5-6 hour stretches without issues, stopping only for gas and water. But I do most of my riding in the local canyons and mountains. It's great in the twisties.
It has insane amounts of power, and it took me a while to learn to ride slowly. At first it was like, "I'm already speeding, and I haven't shifted into 2nd yet..." It's intoxicating, so be careful.
If this one comes with ASC, that's a big bonus. I've activated mine a few times.
I also have a GS (boxer engine), and I really like the smoothness of the 4-cylinder by comparison.

The RT, on the other hand, is a fantastic tourer as well. Several of my buddies ride them. They're pretty bulletproof compared to the GT. My friend just sold his RT and bought the F800GT, and he loves it. He just came back from a 20-day California tour on it.

Bottom line:
If you feel the need for speed (and can live with the issues), The K1300GT will make you very happy. Like INSANE happy. 'Weeping tears of joy' kind of happy.
If you want a great tourer that's more reliable than the GT, and still has respectable power, maybe the RT is a better choice.
My opinion, based on my buddy's experience, is that the F800GT is a really good compromise between both. He is a lot faster, especially in the canyons, on the 800 than he was on the RT.

Thank you very much for a quite helpful response.

2009 K1300 GT owner

I too am a long time rider. My "normal" bikes are a 1980 CBX and a 1983 CB1100F. I sold my Harley because the wife hated to ride on it. I ended up buying the 1300GT. She loves it and so do I. It is incredibly fast and handles very well (especially compared to my older bikes). I have the K1300GT Premium with all of the bells and whistles. I would recommend the premium vs. the "plain Jane" version. The brakes are great as well as the acceleration. I would get he extended warranty if available. Mine was not available but the dealer replaced both ESA shocks that were found during my pre-buy inspection. Get all of the recalls accomplished prior to delivery. Mine has almost new Michelin PR3's. Great tire IMO. I looked at the 1600GT but too much heft and money for me. The 1300 has all that I'll ever need for a street bike.

Good luck with your decision.

I suspect that most people will be faster in tight stuff on the F800GT than on any heavier BMW. Based on both my own test ride of it, currently riding 4 1100-1200 cc BMWs (brick, oilhead, hexhead, wedge), and the Michigan State Police evaluation where it was faster around their test track than any other cop bike- including the RT. It has sufficient power, light handling with excellent grip and outstanding brakes.
Was impressed enough that I'm thinking about getting rid of my K wedge for an F800....

K1300gt

Long time motorcyclist (40 years ) who bought my first BMW motorcycle this past March. Previously owned many bikes that were either British or Japanese. Not a kid any more and not a large man I opted to buy a F800GT.
From a size and weight perspective the 800 appealed to me and I must admit it is a fine bike but at highway speeds being a twin it vibrates and lacks the all around power, that for me at least is problematic.
Certainly not a deal breaker but for those retro moments when I like to twist the throttle I find myself wishing for more.
Soooooo last week in my area a very clean, fully optioned, low mileage, ( 16,175 ) 2010 Red K1300GT became available. Not being even close to a BMW aficionado I was hoping for some expert advice from MOA members about that K bike and it's easy of riding for a rider of average skills and stature?
The asking price is $13,500
Thanks in advance for your valuable input.
Mitchell
I've had a 2010K1300GT for 2/5 years after a series of 'RTs, and I love it, except for the cost of maintenance. It rides smoothly at all speeds, is very stable on freeways and fun on twisties. Great fairing protection. But last year it needed new front and rear shocks and a new headlight. I'm still trying to explain to my bride how I spent over $5000 last year...

Still got my K1200GT that is now sitting idle waiting for warmer weather to see if I have to go in and fix its malfunctioning shift indicator or whether it will clear up on its own when it warms up.

But I did add an F800GT now in process of farkling with all the stuff needed for touring. Sure won't beat the K in a drag race but it will be a lot more fun in tight twisties than either of the Ks I ride (other is K1200RS brick which is a much nicer bike than the wedge. A bit less top end but a nicer powerband and smoother transmission) or my RT. The F800GT even handles lighter than the SOs R1100S.. And I can still hop on one of the Ks for a power infusion if I feel the need.

Back