• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Anyone enjoy ATV's?

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
I do but the state of Taxachusetts has really become a drag on anything off road, but there is hope. The state of New Hampshire has realized that an organized effort would be what a rather large group of ATV riders are looking for in this part of the country and it would do the economy in the north good as well. The concerted effort of regulatory agency's along with the various ATV clubs have stitched together around 700 miles of trails, mostly in the northern part of the state.
Previously, the next largest area to ride off road was in Southern West Virginia at the Hatfield-McCoy recreation area which has around an ever expanding 600 miles of trails.
I have read quite a bit about this "welcoming" of the ATV's in NH and I think it's going to be a great thing for those of us who enjoy a ride in the woods on 4 wheels.
I'm getting the itch for another ATV-

Thumb.aspx

Sweet!
OM

I think they are a blast, I've gone several times with friends, but not interested in owning one, Ive got too many other things going to find the time. Here in Maine there is an extensive trail system maintained by hundreds of local clubs with partnership from state agency's, reported to be over 5,000 miles. Lots of information about the Maine ATV trail systems on the net.

I think they are a blast, I've gone several times with friends, but not interested in owning one, Ive got too many other things going to find the time. Here in Maine there is an extensive trail system maintained by hundreds of local clubs with partnership from state agency's, reported to be over 5,000 miles. Lots of information about the Maine ATV trail systems on the net.
Yeah Maine too. I've ridden the Paris/Norway area in the past. NH has the jump on this new push for the ATV economy, even beginning to allow road use-with stipulations. Do I need another thing with an engine- not really. Sometimes I can;t help myself. :D

One of the best ATV rides I ever took was in SW Colorado.

We did two days.

Day one, Black Bear Pass.

Here is a photo at the top showing how steep it is and where motorcyclists walked their bikes down to the turn.

DSCN0125.jpg

Yes, in the lower center, that is an off road biker in gear walking back up.

The next day we did the Alpine Loop which included view such as these:

IMG_2367.jpg

IMG_2357.jpg

The Alpine Loop is part of the Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkS-XI4w61s

I would go back in a heartbeat!

Nice Bud :thumb Out in a lot of the "west" you can use an ATV as general transportation. kinda a second car. Where I live they are looked at in horror (for the most part).
OM

What blows my mind is the antagonism between many members of the ATV community and members of the off-road motorcycling community. Yes, the vehicles have slightly different impact patterns, but if all OHRV enthusiasts would work together in general, we'd have more places like Jericho State Park (which is a blast on a GS; I'm not sure if it would get boring on a dirt bike, but it sure as heck isn't easy on the big bike). I'm all for having some trails that are restricted to one mode of transit or another, whether that be bike, ATV, foot, horse, mountain bike or pogo stick, as it's always nice to have trails that are designed and maintained for precisely the use you want, but c'mon...a well-built and maintained trail can handle moto and ATV traffic together.

I really wish the whole ATV network in New Hampshire was open to bikes; I picked up an OHRV reg for my 1150GS this year, and being able to ride the Ammo Rail Trail as part of the trip to and from my parents' place in Maine made the ride quite a bit more interesting. Of course, if Vermont would let me register my bike as an ATV here, they could've had both my road reg fee and the ATV fee, since New Hampshire and Vermont have a limited reciprocal agreement. (and I would have paid an in-state registration fee in Vermont instead of the New Hampshire non-resident fee)

Baby steps my friend. This is a big deal really and like anything "organized", it sorta becomes a turf war........There was quite a push back in the past from the snowmobile crowd in the past IIRC. If this can survive the "growing pains", it will be miles ahead of anything in the past.
There are even rides to the top of Mt. Washington- seems like a good time- I've only been over the top on foot.
As for the registration fees between states- again, from memory, the snowmobile crowd used to fudge that a bit. I myself don't having to pay a fee/registration as long as I'm getting something for it.
OM

We got ATVs a few years ago after starting my daughter on a dirt bike that she never connected with. She loves the ATV so I got one for myself and one for my wife.
We live in the south central part of the state and rode some of the local trails. This summer we went up north and rode Jericho park and it is like nothing we have in the southern part of the state, it was a blast (we are going back up this weekend). We also went to Pittsburgh and it was fun, but we liked Jericho better.
It would be nice if all the trails were open to both ATVs and bikes but other than Jericho most trails are at least partly on private land with agreements with the land owners.
I think that the state and local clubs have dome a great job with the trail system and as time goes by they can get more access to all bikes and ATVs.

Sibud, I know it's off-topic a bit, but thanks for the photos of Black Bear and surrounding. I walked almost to the top many years ago (to the old stamping mill - is it still there?) Your photos bring back great memories. Also slid down the hills off to the southwest of there a few different times...
Regards, Marty

Sibud, I know it's off-topic a bit, but thanks for the photos of Black Bear and surrounding. I walked almost to the top many years ago (to the old stamping mill - is it still there?) Your photos bring back great memories. Also slid down the hills off to the southwest of there a few different times...
Regards, Marty

Marty,

I don't recall a stamping mill, however, there were several large cables on the ground at the summit.

That part of Colorado calls me back, over and over again.

73's

The "stamping mill"

Hi Bud,

I looked at this on Google Earth. THe stamping mill (if that is what it is, I think so) appears to be at the top of a rock outcropping above switchback #7, counting from the bottom. There is a path up from the switchback. I had forgotten that detail. AND - when I was up there, in about '73 or '74, the cable you mention was still stretched from the stamping mill across to the very top on the "north" side at the summit. Gotta go dig out my 35mm slides!

And, yeah, that part of CO often calls to me too. Magical.

Best 73,

MG

ATV, the multi-purpose vehicle

My wife and I run a couple of ATV. They are mostly used for plowing snow, hunting and fishing expeditions and also some trail riding. I fitted a set of tracks on the one for use in deep snow conditions for a maple syrup operation. And it takes a lot of snow to slow down this beast. Here , in my part of the province, there are some trail plans....I hear the province of Quebec is a MECA for ATV excursions. They are low maint. And a lot of fun. Last weekend we were adv riding,,my wife on her ATV, and I was riding my DR650...tons of fun. When the going gets technical, the DR is easier to handle than the big GS.
Happy trails....rob

Cool on the tracks :thumb I think it's New Hampshire, you can run tracks on the snow-mobile trails in the winter.
OM

I made it to the top of MT. Washington last Sunday- on the ATV- it was ATV day on the mountain. Last count I heard was better that 1200 ATV's went to the top. Pretty neat to be at the top. Last time I was up there was on foot- and it was snowing :hungover
OM

Attachments

• IMG_0229.JPG
    IMG_0229.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 100
I find ATV'ing as fun as motorcycling, if you are in the right area. So relaxing, and so much fun. If is also something the whole family can enjoy. It is especially fun if you get a group together for a day of exploring. We try to do that a couple of times a year.

Dirt Trax TV and CanAm decided to have some fun and combine one of CanAm's flagship ATV's and sorta mix it Jeep style-

:burnout

OM

I also have an Outlander, but it is used mostly as a tool. A plow in the winter and a utility trailer puller and weed sprayer in the summer. I've got to get out more. :banghead

NASCAR's Greg Biffle and his Pace Engineering group have started to squeeze out 280 :eek HP out of a Wildcat.

:burnout :burnout :burnout :burnout :burnout

OM

Back