• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New GSA Rider question about shifting - '13 R1200GSA

jla658

I just got my first BMW 2013 GSA and I have had it about a week. When I was riding today I was having a hard time finding 1st gear from neutral after coming to a stop at a red light etc. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this or if its me and I just need to get used to the bike. I have about 100 miles on it right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Common issue among new beemer riders. When you pull in the clutch the transmission stops spinning. The beemer setup with dry clutch and separate transmission stops spinning sooner than many other bikes. Unless it happens stop in exactly the right spot the shift dogs won't align and you won't be able to get the bike into first. The solution is simple... don't give the transmission a chance to stop before shifting into first. Pull in the clutch and near simultaneously depress the shift lever. It will soon become habit.

Until it becomes habit you can easily get the bike into first by lightly feathering the clutch as you gently depress the shift lever. Once the bike slips into gear you can pull the clutch in again... or give it more gas and take off.

Hi - I'm moving this to the correct forum - which would be hexhead/camheads.. and adding some bike info to the title.

Hang on.. and please keep your fingers and tootsies inside the browser frame for your safety and protection! Wait for the thread to stop moving before attempting to exit it.

An alternative to easing out the clutch as you shift into first is to roll the bike as you shift into first. It does not matter if things turn from the engine end or the wheel end. It will shift into first easily as long as something is turning.

Double clutch while in neutral, works every time. Over the last 3 years, this has been so ingrained that I do not even think about it anymore. Pull clutch, let it out, pull again and shift to first. :dance

Back