• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Has Anyone Ever Gotten a Speeding Ticket on an R1200R?

If I ever get pulled over for speeding on my 08 RT, I will just look at the officer and say, "come-on you know I can't go 55mph on this thing".
I have a feeling I will get a warning. A buddy of mine was pulled over and the officer said you were going 76 MPH and he said, "my speedometer is dead on".
He got a warning. Just be honest, they get tired of the same old excuses.

Hot stuff - better known of as Oldwhatshername certainly did on the R in this link.
http://www.nmpcs.com/r11r/compare.jpg

She was hauling ass on NM 522 - downhill into Questa, NM - to get to the BMW RA RALLY in Red River, NM in 2002. She was only something like 40 or so over....:dance

So to answer your question - yes, and yes, police radar can snag you in a heartbeat if they want you - and you're over.

So Steve, were you ahead of her or behind her when she took one for the team??

I've been stopped twice, but got one with the second officer.
I went through the discovery and pre-trial hearing, and found out that the cop was using the vehicle off the clock and was not even suppose to be in the area.
The police could not account for him, so the judge dismissed the case. :D

Radar, by the nature of band is at its narrowest when it leaves the antenna and then widens the further it gets away. It is not "target specific" and depends on the unit and the skill or training of the operator. Hence the training involved. Laser on the other hand IS target specific and the target IS selected by the operator. And yes, I've been told that headlights on any vehicle make excellent laser targets.

Having used laser for several years, I can support that statement. Headlights, motorcycle helmets, and front license plates all make excellent laser light reflectors. And they are very target specific...as in a 3 foot beam width at 1000 feet distance.

What you probably are referring to is the fact that a motorcycle will generally be more difficult to detect than a larger vehicle due to less metal and less frontal mass showing to the radar. Radar will generally lock on the biggest target at the same range. But, if youre say, next to a bus and keeping pace with that bus, yes, the radar will lock on the bus, but since the officer says you kept pace with it, then you were doing the same speed and also can get the ticket.

IOW- the radar may not read you a 1/2 mile away, but it certainly will eventually as you get closer. And if you're the only vehicle on the road anyway, you're toast.

In my experience, the old VW Beetles were more difficult to get a lock on, probably due to the rounded front of the vehicle. Sometimes they were maybe only 500 feet from me when I would get the return.

As previously stated, with laser, it's much easier to lock on a particular vehicle in a crowded roadway. If they say they got YOU, they got YOU.

I was stopped in Arizona as a state trouper snuck up on me doing 85, he showed me the read out and I was the only one out there.

I was heading west on I10 toward California, not much out there once west of Phoenix a few miles.

I didn't get a ticket but the officer said you had better slow down some in California.

The speed limit on Arizona freeways is 75, in California it's 65, so the CHP is waiting just on the other side.

My father refers to the Arizona highway patrol as "state revenue agents."

I do like that the highest speed limit there is 75, but I don't have a good sense of what the highest tolerated speed is. I'm thinking you were pretty lucky there.

My father refers to the Arizona highway patrol as "state revenue agents."

I do like that the highest speed limit there is 75, but I don't have a good sense of what the highest tolerated speed is. I'm thinking you were pretty lucky there.

I've ridden and driven a lot of miles in Arizona. I have found that 80 seems to be safe in the 75 mph areas.

What one has to watch for in AZ are speed and red light cameras, they are in use from whatever direction you enter the greater Phoenix area from.

From what I've been told by various LEOs, you're usually OK in AZ if you're less than 7 mph over the limit. Not always, but that seems to be the magic number that most municipalities use. So I'm told...

And speed cameras aren't used on the state highways or freeways any more, they were taken out a year or so ago. Some towns & cities still use them, along with red light cameras, tho. But there has to be a sign warning if they're in use.

Seems like in town police chase you till you wreck and rural cops radio about you till ya run out of gas.

Per above: news of 12/19/2013 : Nearby area cop was in pursuit of a kid doing a drunken speed thing, kid wrecks in a guys yard and another cop that's called in goes to that scene; then the kid takes off again and as he is doing 100+ speeds, per policy cop backs off in effort to save kid; kid crashes again, then airlifted & critical as of yesterday.

Reminds me of a guy I worked with in supermkt in 1960's that did a drunk & speeding thing down Topeka Blvd-a main street in Topeka ,KS- in his MGB sports car & the cops in shooting at his tires, hit & blew out the windows of a new car dealer showroom(was Moorman Buick for those in the local know there)-which he had to pay for on his paltry hourly rate, stocking shelves. I remember thinking ( I know guns well)that it was a maybe a dumb place to shoot at a car & he crashed on his own a short distance later.

From what I've been told by various LEOs, you're usually OK in AZ if you're less than 7 mph over the limit. Not always, but that seems to be the magic number that most municipalities use. So I'm told...

And speed cameras aren't used on the state highways or freeways any more, they were taken out a year or so ago. Some towns & cities still use them, along with red light cameras, tho. But there has to be a sign warning if they're in use.

I know the city of Tempe removed the red light cameras because the short light trick was creating too many accidents. Once the traffic signals were restored to a normal time interval the program no longer was the cash cow they had hoped for.

I still see the AHP Explorers with the camera on top sitting by the high ways at times.

The city of Roseville in California went through the same issue that Tempe did, except Roseville got sued for short lighting and had to refund much of the money.

Back