• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Anyone have the BMW "SportDry" boots?

deilenberger

A bozo on the bus
Anyone have these?

They're not cheap ($390).. but they do have what appears to be rigid ankle support, which I need at the moment (small issue with my bike getting tired and resting on my leg - breaking a bone..)

51hzbrunioL.jpg

http://store.bobsbmw.com/product/bmw-sportdry-boots

Looking at the photos, it almost looks as if they might provide the support the ortho-boot I'm clumping around in does.. since it's my right foot, I can't even drive, but I think I'll be back on 2 wheels well before I'm back on 4..

First hand experiences?

BTW - bike is fine, I protected it with my body.

TIA! (Also posted to the IBMWR email list..)

Never tried those boots but heal fast! I suspect you'll be right about getting back on 2 first.
Be interested in your reaction if you get them- I fragged the long tendon in my right foot a few years ago while putting the RT on the center stand (tendon was almost entirely torn from a previous injury and I didn't know it) and ended up hobbling for a few months until the swelling went down.

You're right - they're sure not cheap. I would want a good look at the sole to make sure it's got a good non-slip tread on it. The thing I really like about my Combat Lites is the non-slip sole and the great support they provide my weak ankles.

Anyone have these?

They're not cheap ($390).. but they do have what appears to be rigid ankle support, which I need at the moment (small issue with my bike getting tired and resting on my leg - breaking a bone..)

51hzbrunioL.jpg

http://store.bobsbmw.com/product/bmw-sportdry-boots

Looking at the photos, it almost looks as if they might provide the support the ortho-boot I'm clumping around in does.. since it's my right foot, I can't even drive, but I think I'll be back on 2 wheels well before I'm back on 4..

First hand experiences?

BTW - bike is fine, I protected it with my body.

TIA! (Also posted to the IBMWR email list..)

Don, I know nothing about these boots (have been happy with my BMW Allrounds) but ya gotta tell us what you did to mess up your right foot! If you did something dumb with all your experience, you KNOW there are a bunch of us getting ready to do the same damn thing. A few years ago I wrote an article for the ON titled "Don't Drop the Bike," which is also somewhere in its entirety on this Forum along with numerous comments. The article was about the ways we have 0 -2 mph crashes. Look it up. I thought it should be a "sticky" since these dumb things so many of us do are MUCH more common than "real" accidents - and they both hurt and cost. So, 'fess up. I have no idea if the article actually prevented other folk from doing the same stupid things I did (and also read or was told about) but it did worlds for me! Haven't had a "tipover" accident since I wrote it. But always glad to add to my list of stupid things not to do.

As I remember, one solid piece of advice was "when the bike is going over, get the hell out of the way." It's probably cheaper and definitely less painful to fix the bike than to fix your body.

Don, I know nothing about these boots (have been happy with my BMW Allrounds) but ya gotta tell us what you did to mess up your right foot! If you did something dumb with all your experience, you KNOW there are a bunch of us getting ready to do the same damn thing. A few years ago I wrote an article for the ON titled "Don't Drop the Bike," which is also somewhere in its entirety on this Forum along with numerous comments. The article was about the ways we have 0 -2 mph crashes. Look it up. I thought it should be a "sticky" since these dumb things so many of us do are MUCH more common than "real" accidents - and they both hurt and cost. So, 'fess up. I have no idea if the article actually prevented other folk from doing the same stupid things I did (and also read or was told about) but it did worlds for me! Haven't had a "tipover" accident since I wrote it. But always glad to add to my list of stupid things not to do.

As I remember, one solid piece of advice was "when the bike is going over, get the hell out of the way." It's probably cheaper and definitely less painful to fix the bike than to fix your body.

Doug,

The protecting the bike was said in jest.. but to make a longish story short..

There was a recent local club rally held at a Jellystone Park campground. The actual camping grounds and rally site are down a dirt/sand road about 1/4 mile long. In prior years - the road was passable - packed down and somewhat potholed dirt and sand. The campground changed hands this season, and apparently the new owners decided to "fix" the road, by scraping it (leveling it off..)

When we arrived on Friday it initially looked nice - smooth and flat, and most of it was passable without a problem if riders stayed in the tracks left from trucks/cars/RV's. Saturday I was heading out for a ride around noon with a fellow club member, and left my camping area, came down a rather rough but hard-packed trail to the main road. To add to the fun - there is a motorized gate keeping people out who haven't registered - and it also covers the exit lane. I went to turn into the main road, slowing for the gate. In about 1 nanosecond, the front end dug into 4-5" of loose dry sand and washed out. Usually I have enough warning so I can step off the bike, in this case - either I was trying to save it (it was heading right) or I simply didn't have enough time or warning. The bike ended up on it's starboard side, and on my right ankle.

Preventable? Maybe.. but I'm not quite sure how. I had to make the turn, and I had to slow down for the gate. The soft sand was new from Friday - due to it being dry and the amount of traffic the road had seen. Quite a few other people went down on the same road on Saturday, but AFAIK, they avoided injury. The club is no longer going to use this campground for it's rally - the road is simply too dangerous.

That's the short version.

I ordered the boots today with a money-back if they aren't what I expect - from Morton's BMW (great people!).. will see how they work out. Talked to the MD/orthopedist today about using them, and he thought it was doable - at least in a few weeks. The break is healing about as well as it could be.. He felt I'd be done with the walking boot in 4 weeks, so if I have to wait, it's not eternity (although it seems like it - losing mobility is not a fun thing at all.)

Boots arrived.. and they're as rigid as I hoped for. The plastic connects from the base of the ankle up to the to of the boot on the rear (comes up to a bit above mid-thigh). No side to side rocking, no twisting. It has a sliding three point pivot for toe up/down - for shifting and braking. It will be a few weeks before I can give a ride report on them.. SWMBO has promised to leave me without transportation if I injure my ankle trying to ride before the MD gives the OK. They'll go with me to the next visit to the orthopedic MD - just have to decide if I want to ride to the visit... :p

The plastic connects from the base of the ankle up to the to of the boot on the rear (comes up to a bit above mid-thigh).

You sure a about that?

Attachments

• rick-owens-black-rick-owens-womens-midthigh-length-suede-leather-boots-product-3-4474652-643447.jpeg
    rick-owens-black-rick-owens-womens-midthigh-length-suede-leather-boots-product-3-4474652-643447.jpeg
    13 KB · Views: 1,816
As a new rider, I picked these up for ankle support and protection. I was really concerned about protecting my ankle and lower leg should I go down. So far I have found the boots to be extremely comfortable and I can walk around with them easily should I have to make a stop at the store on my ride home. I even forgot, for a few minutes, that I was wearing them when a friend of mine asked me to help "move" a few boxes in from the garage. I ended up doing the brunt of the work moving a washer, dryer, and refrigerator (with a utility hand truck) and rode home later without any foot fatigue or adverse affects. I definitely do not plan on do intensively labor like that with these boots but just wanted to show how comfortable these boots were even though they are restrictive in nature to twisting.

I hope this helps answer your question and I'm hope that you're healing quickly and out riding again soon.

acowabunga,

Thanks much for the 1st hand review. I think you and I may be the only people with the boots so far. I'm glad to hear they are walkable.. that was a bit uncertain in my quick try of one boot (my other leg is the injured one, and I didn't want to try it on quite yet..) They certainly do seem to have the protection I'm looking for and the support. I love my BMW "AllRound" boots - I'm hoping these become my new favorite boot.

Thanks again, and welcome to the MOA forum!

Back