• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Anyone swapped a '93 K1100 motor into an early K100?

beemerguru

Have replaced the K1100 engine in the '88 K100RSSE. Mechanically no problem.

Want to keep the K100 wire harness since it's set for ABS1 and almost all the sensors are plug and play. But the K1100 doesn't need the AFM and the TPS is now 4 pin vs 3 on the K100. Has anyone gone through this before...can't find anything in the history files.

Thanks

I'm assuming that you will be using the K1100 Motronic control instead of the K100 L-Jetronic control. If that is the case, you would need the K1100 engine harness. Wire the engine functions through the K1100 harness and the chassis functions through the K100 harness.

Some splicing will obviously be needed where engine and chassis interface (tach, power source from chassis to engine, kill switch, side stand switch if used, fuel pump power, etc.).

:dance:dance:dance

Over on the K100.com forum there is a build thread about the same thing.
If I remember correctly, the poster found it much easier to use the K1100 harness.

Ken

These should get you started! :) -Ken

K1100 engine in K100 frame and vice versa - K100-forum.com
www.k100-forum.com/t6607-k1100-engine-in-k100-frame-and-vice-ve...‎
Aug 30, 2013 - My K1100 is dead in the water for the time being but I have been offered a K100 at a very reasonable cost. My question is this - is it possible to ...

K1100 power plant g/box into k100 - K100-forum.com
www.k100-forum.com/t2556-k1100-power-plant-g-box-into-k100‎
Aug 29, 2011 - Hi all, does a K1100 engine g/box combination physically fit into a k100 frame? Assume I have the 1100 ECU wiring injectors etc I gather the ...

K1100 ecu into K100. - K100-forum.com
www.k100-forum.com/t4056-k1100-ecu-into-k100‎
K1100 ecu into K100. on Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:14 am .... really cheap and transplant everything over, but then you may as well transplant the engine as well.

k1100 into k100rs on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:35 am - K100-forum.com
www.k100-forum.com/t6267-k1100-into-k100rs‎
Jul 10, 2013 - Will a K1100 motor mate up to the k100 gearbox and is there ... use the K100 injectors into the K1100 manifolds and use the K100 coils with the ...

I'm assuming that you will be using the K1100 Motronic control instead of the K100 L-Jetronic control. If that is the case, you would need the K1100 engine harness. Wire the engine functions through the K1100 harness and the chassis functions through the K100 harness.

Some splicing will obviously be needed where engine and chassis interface (tach, power source from chassis to engine, kill switch, side stand switch if used, fuel pump power, etc.).

Would rather use the existing K100 harness and L system since this is an ABS1 setup and all the sensor and handlebar connections are compatible..just have to figure out how to mate the K1100 4 pin TPS to the K100 3 pin...and with no AFM now..how to use the sensor instead.

Engine is installed...just trying to wire the puppy so it starts and runs!

Would rather use the existing K100 harness and L system since this is an ABS1 setup and all the sensor and handlebar connections are compatible..just have to figure out how to mate the K1100 4 pin TPS to the K100 3 pin...and with no AFM now..how to use the sensor instead.

I suspect that may be a problem.

IIRC - the three pin klassic-K is simply a double-pole switch that tells the L-Jetronic if the throttle is closed or WFO. Motronic would likely use a resistive device (potentiometer).. and with no AFM - well, that's just not gonna work. I think you have to figure out a way to adapt the old TPS to the new intake, and to put the AFM on the intake for the K1100 engine.

FWIW - I once made a separate ABS-1 wiring harness when I added ABS to a FYK ('85 K100RT). I made the harness by taking an ABS harness and removing everything that wasn't ABS related. I then taped it back up (gotta use the cloth friction tape, vinyl tape won't allow it to bend enough) and ran it in parallel to the normal bike harness. It only required a few connections into the original harness - I believe one power connection, and perhaps one other connection.

Doing this probably isn't for the faint of heart - or someone without an EE degree.. but it IS doable. You could then use the K11 harness with the ABS harness running along side it.

Greg,

These are not "dumb" carbureted engines, they are separately unique computer controlled fuel injected engines. Each computer connection is expecting to see a very specific input. Just because the connectors fit and they ROUGHLY have the same function does not mean it will run properly. A temperature sensor that is not the EXACT one that the computer is expecting to see will guarantee that the engine will run poorly. The air flow device must be EXACTLY what the computer expects to see. I would imagine a computer calibrated for an 1000cc two valve engine would be a poor choice for an 1100cc four valve engine with a completely different intake tract.

Don's suggestion on a separate ABS1 harness makes sense too, but you would have to insure that if you used it with the complete K1100 harness, you would have to be sure the pin connections on the K11 harness are in the same order as on the K100 instrument cluster.

Back