• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Checking oil level on dipstick.

TZOLK

On a 2005 F650GS, do you check the oil level on the reservoir dipstick after the beast is warm or when cold. Ive found the levels at those times are different.

it depends on a few things:

1. are you using synthetic or dino?
2. are you using BMW oil or something else?
3. do you do your own maintenance, or take it to the dealer?
4. if one and a half chickens can lay one and a half eggs in one and a half days, how long does it take a monkey with a wooden leg to kick the seeds out of a dill pickle?

in case you cant tell, i cant help. but i'm curious, when does it read the highest? when cold?

it reads higher after its warmed up or ran just a bit. I put oil in it and when it is cold, sat overnight, the oil on the dipstick is ok. After I start it up and let it sit a few minutes its overfull by 1/4 inch. Im guessin I put too much in.

Checking the oil on a 2005

The owners manual suggests checking the oil when the engine is at operating temperature.

I have checked my oil after running the engine for 3/4 of a mile to the gas station. The dipstick was dry, but I could see quite a bit of oil in the tank when I looked down.

I tried it again after a 20 mile run, and the dipstick had oil at mid level.

I have 300 miles on my GS. It is relatively new. I put the centerstand down to check the oil, and I check it whenever I fill up the tank.

William

Hmmm.... my cs is this:

Have the engine at operating temp (the cooling fan comes on)

Unscrew the oil cap/guage

Wipe clean.

Reinsert the stick but DO NOT screw it in...

Check level.

The instructions were not very clear, but that is the procedure from what I can tell.

either screwing the stick in or not can give you very different readings..

-Xaque-

1. Engine at operating temp
  2. Place bike on center stand an let idle for one minute
  3. Turn off bike and check oil level
Make sure not to screw the dip stick in all the way when checking it, and obiviously start out by wiping the oil off.

Back