• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R75/5 with bent frame

tshammack

I have a 1973 R75/5 in my basement. It has not run in 23 years. It has a slightly bent rear frame. Is it possible fix a bent rear frame? I used to use it for delivering messages in Washington,DC, in the early 80s and it ran and handled just fine: bent frame and all.

I bought a 2011 R1200R a couple of months ago. Now that I am riding again, I am wondering if it is worth restoring my old bike.

The rear sub frame can be unbolted and replaced. The main loop frame holding the engine is a different story.

As for the 23 year old bike: Get $3,000 to $5,000. Then decide if you want the old bike in good running shape or something else.

I had to replace the sub frame on my '76 R75/6 and I found one on IBMWR for $25 + shipping. I have put about $3,000 into mine (not including original purchase) and that is "functionally" restored. I bought it off the sidewalk where it had been sitting under a tarp since 2008. That money included a new seat which was a pretty big number. It also includes the $200 for the electronic ignition and $300 for tires. The rest of the $$ went to small stuff like cables, various rubber parts, gaskets, seals, bearings and that sort of thing. The time spent is the biggest investment and I will spend this winter going over my mistakes and omissions. For me, the time and $$ are well spent and I have already made room in the garage for the next once this one is finished.

Chip

Now that I am riding again, I am wondering if it is worth restoring my old bike.

That all depends on how you are judging it. From a monetary point of view--Probably not, but could be. From a fun hobby sort of way, then I would say definitely. This bike clearly has some meaning to you otherwise you wouldn't have kept it for the past 23 years. Since you've got the R1200R to ride, take your time and have fun restoring the bike. At the end of the day (or project), you'll have your old bike back on the road.

As far as the frame is concerned, you might be able to get it straighten. My attitude is anything man made can be repaired, rebuilt or replaced. However, with no photos, or description on how bad it is, I doubt you'll get a definitive answer here. If you take your time and start hunting, you should be able to locate a good used one, which will most likely be the best option as cseltz noted.

Disclaimer: Keep in mind this is the opinion of one person who is a weekend mechanic with an average ability, but by no means an expert with regards to these bikes.

It's not worth the time and effort to restore your /5. You should probably just drag it up out of the basement and dump in next to the curb. Someone will haul it off and get it out of your hair.

Where did you say you live?

It's not worth the time and effort to restore your /5. You should probably just drag it up out of the basement and dump in next to the curb. Someone will haul it off and get it out of your hair.

Where did you say you live?

What he said. . . .heck I'll even haul it to the dump for ya for free if you've got the title. . .

Speaking of "bent", I finally ordered a new set of handlebars for my R60/6. They've been bent since '94, but the bike tracked straight and true through all its commuting days in Detroit and then Virginia. Now, maybe, I'll buy a strobe (or at least a test lamp) and set the timing for the first time since the factory. Did I hear the splines are supposed to be lubed now and again? Ha!

I think I'd change the engine oil before I went to the trouble of lubing the splines... . .. [wink, wink, nod, nod]

Back