• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Out of WV and pretend my Beemer is a Vette on Rte-66

Heading back home after visit in West Virginia. Plan is to Nashville to visit the Antique Archaeology there. Then up to Missouri to catch Route 66 or what there is of it. Have purchased a couple of guide books from Amazon. (EZ66 Guide for Travelers) and ( Dining and Lodging Guide Route 66). Anyplace that I should visit, let me know.

Today was an easy ride on secondary roads and bit of freeway to the Lexington, KY Motel 6. Stopped for coffee at MickeyD’s and WiFi. When leaving 4 gals in the parking lot were yelling and screaming, threatening to punch each other and other things. Quite the brouhaha. Early afternoon and they were all blitzed!!! Bad time for the camera to be locked up. Saw lots of what must be horse farms but didn?t see any horses! Will swing by the Four Roses Distillery on way to Nashville tomorrow. Alas, no samples for me!

For those who have not ridden the roads of the east side of West Virginia, you have missed out on some of the best roads ever!! Roads are all in good shape, well marked, both high and low speed sweepers. And importantly for riders, tons of great places to grab a bite to eat.

Planning to post progress daily or so.

Last edited:
Route 66 for us, too, we hope...

I see you're from Sunriver - we're from Salem. We've been thinking of taking 66 from Chicago to LA and then returning north to Oregon. We'll be looking forward to your updates. Were you happy with the two guidebooks you mentioned? Thanks, and good luck!

Rode past a really big horse farm call "Keeneland", didn't see any horse's though! Didn't see any horse's in Kentucky at all, when I crossed into Tennessee saw some in a field. Missed stopping at 4 Roses, too early, wasn't gonna wait around especially when I don't get to taste!

Seeing how I plan to pretend to be a Vette figured I better stop at the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY. Factory is there also. Cool deal if buying a Vette, you can pick it up at the museum with some fanfare and factory visit etc. If you own a Vette I bet its on your bucket list! Good museum and worth the visit.

Down the road to Nashville. Not a music guy so only place I visited was the Antique Archaeology store there. Bought a t-shirt and a mug! They do ask premium prices for the stuff they bring in. Just clerks, no stars... Said just missed em, ya right!

Heading north west toward Missouri and have made it to Paducah, KY. Should make it to someplace on Rte66 tomorrow where I will break out my guide books and see how good they are!

If your route takes you through Holbrook, AZ, which has Route 66 heritage, and you like Mexican food, try the El Rancho restaurant. Was just through there a couple of weeks ago. The food was great, the service good, and the prices reasonable. Things to see near Holbrook include Painted Desert and Petrified Forest.

In Holbrook, AZ. Went out for dinner planning to visit the El Rancho, but its closed down!!! The motel is dark also and no signs anywhere. So went to Joe and Angie's cafe as recommended in the EZ66 Guide. Really good food, planning bfast there tomorrow. The Dining and Lodging guide hasn't been helpful at all. Actually it has steered me wrong. Visit the old motels and take pictures but DON'T stay! They charge extra, the rooms are really small, the quoted remodeled in period is a giant reach. Got burned three times, I am a very slow learner!

Sorry to hear about the El Rancho. Had planned on a re-visit on my next trip west. Will give Joe and Angie's place a try.

Back