• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Techronization: Definition

BC1100S

Left Coast Rider
Verb: The act of treating your bike to a bottle of Techron
Also see: Chevronology

Now, how necessary is it? I typically run Chevron Premium fuel in my R1100S. Its supposed to have "More Techron" in it than their other blends. When I'm not using Chevron, its Shell V-Power Premium which is "nitrogen enriched to clean fuel injectors, etc...".

Short story is my bike runs great with 60,000 km on it. Should I give it a Techron treatment which I believe is a full bottle in one tank of gas?

Your knowledge, input, opinions, and smart-ass remarks are always welcome.

Last edited:
Yes, just before your next oil change. A bottle treats 20 gallons, so you need 1/4 bottle. Keep the rest for your next 36,000 miles repeating the dose at 12K intervals

When I'm not using Chevron, its Shell V-Power Premium which is "nitrogen enriched to clean fuel injectors...".

All pump gasoline contains nitrogen. It is a byproduct of the refining process. Shell advertises the fact to get you to buy theirs.

While nitrogen by itself is inert (non-reactive), added to gasoline it becomes a catalyst and helps it burn better.
(Not a chemist, but I read it on the internet...)
Nitrogen (by itself) is also very effective for displacing water (personal experience).

Last edited:
It's what is recommended by BMW- see the same bottle with BMW label at your local dealer. It's a help with all the engines I run.
OM

Techron is rare to find here.

I use Techron when I can get it, sometimes it's a bit of stretch.

Just a few minutes north is the garter snake capital of the planet. Google "Narcisse Snake Pits".

For just a few days each spring and fall, they crawl across the highway and are subsequently flattened. A bunch of us usually go out and squeegee the highway to collect the juice. We have a real neat machine that sucks it up. Since we rarely remember to bring new containers, we put it in our old Amsoil bottles.

I use Techron when I can get it, sometimes it's a bit of stretch.

Just a few minutes north is the garter snake capital of the planet. Google "Narcisse Snake Pits".

For just a few days each spring and fall, they crawl across the highway and are subsequently flattened. A bunch of us usually go out and squeegee the highway to collect the juice. We have a real neat machine that sucks it up. Since we rarely remember to bring new containers, we put it in our old Amsoil bottles.

It took me a second read but that was very funny. I think it qualifies as a "smart-ass remark". :D

Thanks to all who responded!

I figure if I've gone over 50 years without putting anything in my gas and I never had any problems, it's probably not necessary.

I would use it as often as possible. Any improvement in performance will bring you closer to the RS experience. :)

It probably is not necessary, especially if you are running Chevron fuel.

I ran some through my truck years ago and the difference was quite noticeable. I use it a Paul Glaves recommends.

I would use it as often as possible. Any improvement in performance will bring you closer to the RS experience. :)

YOU again. Drat! :laugh

An "RS experience", eh? Precisely what I was trying to avoid. :sick

I'll give it a try anyway.

PS: I'm pushing off on another extended trip next week. SoCal this time.

Okay, my experience with Techron is with our '98 F-150, so prolly not relevant to an R11S, but what the hey!

Truck has 198,000 miles on it, and has Chevron gas in it 99.67453% of it's life under our care. At 120k took it into a Ford dealer for a routine service. Service manager said it was probably "due for another injector cleaning and set of spark plugs". When I said, "what do you mean by 'another', it's never had an injector cleaning, nor a set of new plugs", he did not believe me. Truck had all services done (other than routine oil changes that I did) at authorized dealers. We pulled out all the paperwork and verified that the motor had the original spark plugs and injectors never removed. Decided to let them do the cleaning and injector service... Mechanic noted on finished work report that the injectors were clean, and spark plugs still looked "okay". But given the mileage they did the cleaning and plug replacement. At 198k the truck still runs strong! Service manager said most 150's they saw in their shop really needed plugs/injectors around 70-75k, even though the 'service' life of the plugs was supposed to be 90k.

So, yeah, I'm a believer in this Techron magic! ((PS. I used to drive a tanker truck for another oil company (rhymes with ARCO) but won't use anything other than Chevron/Texaco in any of our vehicles.))

That's my plan, and I'm sticking to it,

YMMV! :groovy

While nitrogen by itself is inert (non-reactive), added to gasoline it becomes a catalyst and helps it burn better.
(Not a chemist, but I read it on the internet...)
Nitrogen (by itself) is also very effective for displacing water (personal experience).

All pump gasoline contains nitrogen. It is a byproduct of the refining process. Shell advertises the fact to get you to buy
theirs.

So, which of these statements are true? Is nitrogen added to gasoline or is it a part of the refining process as Paul indicates?

My source was a chemist who worked for an oil company other than Shell. I had a long discussion with him following an oil seminar at the National in Salem. I asked about "nitrogen in the gas" and he explained that nitrogen was part of (some long sounding name with nitrous or nitric in it) which is a result of the refining process of gasoline, period.

I also know that gasoline is considered a fungible product - the additive package is introduced when the truck loads at the terminal. That doesn't mean that Shell has the same additive package as Uncle Joes Convenience Store. It also doesn't mean that one tanker truck of Brand X is identical to the next tanker truck of Brand X.

I also have decided that it is futile to try to believe and act upon marketing hype from anybody. Does one brand of soap get rid of ring around the collar better than washing your neck? Are $499 basketball shoes necessary so you can jump higher, run faster, and hit more three point shots? Have women smokers really come "a long way baby"?

You all have to decide what you want to believe.

I'll go out on a limb and say that BOTH statements are true.
Yes Shell adds it (just Google "Shell V-Power" and get to the Shell USA site; they have a brochure that talks about it).
Also Google "nitrogen" and read the Wikipedia (et al) entries.

The most expensive and effective gasoline cleaning additive is known by the name PEA

Here is a quote about PEA and who has it from Gumout

Most truly effective fuel system cleaners utilize PEA based detergents and offer the best cleaning power of any of the fuel additives on the market. Not only do they clean better than PIB or PIBA, they can clean more fuel system parts. It takes an extremely powerful detergent to remove the pressure cooked deposits found on cylinder heads, piston tops and combustion chamber walls, and PEA can do this. In direct injection systems it will also clean up the injectors and keep them clean. Gumout has a few items in their portfolio including Regane, High Mileage Regane and All in One Complete Fuel treatments. Chevron Techron pour in fuel additives also have this type of detergent. Check out the various manufacturers? websites, MSDS and Technical bulletins and you may find what types of additives they use in their formula.

Now the down side is this is powerful stuff. If you mix it too strong, it can damage fuel pumps and injectors by attacking the insulation varnish, which is not that much different than the varnish in the fuel. Also some varnish in ring grooves is beneficial, since it promotes good ring seal to the groove and reduces piston groove wear. So about 1/4? to 1/3 bottle, maybe one half bottle on a GSA is a good dose.
Another thing is the oil change thing. It is not necessary. The little bit that ends up in the oil might be helpful since most of the black deposit in the intake comes from the crankcase vent in the air box, at the throttle plate and at the idle air screw there is a pressure change, so the temp falls and some of the oil gunk change to liquid and then to gunk. The detergent in there might keep the gunk liquid a bit longer so it will not build up as much.

Rod

Sometimes I wish acronyms were better explained, UFDA was explained.

As a Bosch rep, mostly diesel, additives, gas and diesel additives were endorsed to a degree. There were some additives that were good and some rather questionable, like my garter snake juice. The best diesel fuel additive had a pile of acronyms attached but was actually Stoddard Solvent. Remember that? It was used by dry cleaners, no longer, but fine in a diesel engine.

In Canada, and you can argue this forever, but ALL gasoline used in MOTIVE FUEL has at least 2% Ethanol. Not all octane numbers are actually what you put in the tank. It can be a Real Octane Number, RON at the tank facility but by the time it hits the tank at the gas station, can be different.

At the tank facility, usually called the Rack, individual fuel retailers would add their specific blend to the truck. It's the same in the Aviation sector. Not all Jet "A"-"B" or Avgas is the same.

We also have something called "Seasonal Adjustment" in Canada. Fuel, gas or diesel can be different on a late October Thursday in Winnipeg than it is on the same day in Toronto.

Bosch even put out a tech bulletin saying that their injectors would never need to be repaired or cleaned when using approved additives, like Techron. That one you could argue.

Bottom line, you do the best you can to have a fun ride with the minimum of hassle. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I am about to head out and grab some Garter snake juice from the highway right away. If you want, send me your old Amsoil containers or Guiness bottles.

Back