• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Considering buying new rt

I am thinking of replacing my 04 r1150rt with a new rt. Any comments pro or con. My 04 is in perfect condition but I have the bug.

Get a vintage British sports car. That'll take your mind off a new bike!

Attachments

• 040-XL.jpg
    040-XL.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 156
Get a vintage British sports car. That'll take your mind off a new bike!

...and then you don't have to worry about motorcycles , period. Because you will have no time. You will be too busy wrenching on the thing and fixing the Lucas electrics...

I'm in the same boat with a great '02 R1150RT that is in excellent condition and runs like it's brand new. The FD was rebuilt recently so that issue is a long way down the road before it rears its ugly head again. However, as good as my present RT is, it can't compare to the new R1200RT Wethead coming out in 2014. No one knows what it's actually going to look like (except for recent spied photos) but the expectation is the same refined bike with K1600GTL dash and this year's GS1200 Wethead with a few tweaks to gear ratio's.

For me, my '02 will find a new owner and a new 2014 RT will take it's place.

I am thinking of replacing my 04 r1150rt with a new rt. Any comments pro or con. My 04 is in perfect condition but I have the bug.

I know, there are a couple of other factors to consider, but your 04 RT represents a certain value to you, I assume.
You will NOT get this when you sell it or trade it in.
So, - if you have the room
- if you have the money
- if you have the passion

keep the RT and add a new one to it. Better yet - unless you are a diehard Boxer fan - get soemthing else other than an RT and broaden your horizon by experiencing a different bike concept.

Well I'm always happy to help. Send me your addy and I will mail you a check for $3,000 and I will come pick up the bike.

Nice down payment on that new RT don't ya think????? :dance:dance:dance

No, you don't have to thank me, really. :thumb

I've bought 2 new RT's in the past 3 years, and they are great bikes. I also have an R60/6 that I bought new, and it's fun tinkering with that, but my daily work ride is the RT. I'll probably trade the RT in another year or 6 months for another RT. The only problems I've had are with the funky left control switches, and this is across the model lines that share the same type of switch.

R1200RT is lighter with more power, smoother with balance shaft, way more modern radio even with Sirius.

R1200RT is safer with ASC, ABS is simpler, warmer with heated seat, coolest tankbag mounting ever, you can have ESA and TPMS.

Can't think of a single thing better about the older bike.

Biggest difference in my case is ability to maintain. Oilheads can be maintained by the dedicated user with some mechanical ability and the desire to learn. The hexheads present a lot of barriers to self maintenance. Not to say you cannot learn about them also but all that plastic and Canbus electronics make it less straightforward.

There are a few other things about the 1200 I don't care for mostly around unnecessary complexity and I really don't like the glove box. You drop something small down that deep narrow space and have fun getting it out.

Sure is a nice bike to ride though. Brakes, handling, smoothness is all improved and the one I rode did NOT surge. Very nimble and easy to ride bike.

My opinion is worth exactly what it cost you of course. :laugh

Biggest difference in my case is ability to maintain. Oilheads can be maintained by the dedicated user with some mechanical ability and the desire to learn. The hexheads present a lot of barriers to self maintenance. Not to say you cannot learn about them also but all that plastic and Canbus electronics make it less straightforward.

There are a few other things about the 1200 I don't care for mostly around unnecessary complexity and I really don't like the glove box. You drop something small down that deep narrow space and have fun getting it out.

Sure is a nice bike to ride though. Brakes, handling, smoothness is all improved and the one I rode did NOT surge. Very nimble and easy to ride bike.

My opinion is worth exactly what it cost you of course. :laugh

I agree that the 1200's are a better motorcycle in most every respect.

I also agree that Oilheads can be maintained by village idiots such as myself. A good manual, a lack of fear of screwing up and viola, you can do it yourself.

And this will cost you less that the quoted advice. :laugh

Back