• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Opinions on reviving a 1977 R100/7 with problems

moralem

1977 BMW R100/7 1,000 CC ABOUT 30,00 MILES. NEEDS NEEDLE & SEAT WORK ON BOTH CARBS. BOTH CARBERATOR BOWLS OVERFLOW WHEN BIKE IS RUNNING, so says the ad. What are the thoughts about bringing the old girl back to life. The bike is pretty rough all the way around but I need a project and reviewing an old airhead intrigues me. The asking price is 500 bucks.

Carbs are generally pretty easy to work on. More than likely, the floats are sinking, thus not shutting off the gas flow. Pretty easy to repair that.

It's hard to go wrong for $500...you'd have to see it to be sure, but there's probably enough there to get at least $2K in parts. But if it look relatively decent, might be an interesting project. He says that the bike overflows when running, so maybe that means that the engine actually runs? :dunno

The key piece of information from your brief description is "30,000 miles." The bones should be good unless it has been abused, outdoor storage, etc. Having said that, you can consider your labor rate for restoration work will be zero. Then you'll need to track your parts bill carefully. Believe it or not, it's still possible for your costs to exceed the retail value (paint, tires, carb work, electrical). However, that's not why we do it. You'll have fun. The price is right, especially if it's running. Old airheads belong on the road looking fresh and new. Go for it.

Thanks for the feedback. I have 2011 RT but want something that I can really get my hands into. I am not looking for resale value just something to return back to the road. I hate that we are such a disposable society and if some of us don't keep the past alive who will.

I have seen complete, working Bing carbs on ebay for little money, if you do not want to get into them yourself. But as Kurt said, working on the Bings is a walk in the park. Always worth it!

the answer to your question will depend on your view of ownership and what you want out of the bike, AND how much you want to spend.

To me, I say go for it! I admit, that I have more in my '78 R100/7 than it's market value, but to get the ride I want and the enjoyment I want, I would have had to spend $15,000 on a bike and it still wouldn't have the "class" of my old Airhead. My cost isn't even 1/3 of that $15,000 and I love it!

It will be determined what YOU want out of it!

Pictures plus the bike location and phone number of the seller would be a nice thing to add to this post.

$500+Rough all around- I have met women who fit that description......I said met, not used! :brow

Back