• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

800 texting drivers and counting!

I'm reminded of having "tried" to turn in a driver that was all over the road-right in front of us for miles(before cell use)- while we were on our a.m. commute years ago. When I got to work the guy at the state police said if they didn't see it it didn't happen. With the in car camera does that shake out any differently? Could I have taken my own pic? Thing is we have all these multitudes these days taking pics of everything in sight as they carry their cell cameras (sort of) "imbedded in their bodies"..

I recall a similar incident in the news, I forget where or when exactly, when one motorist tried to alert an officer about an apparently drunk driver. He/she got the same answer you did. Then about ten minutes later a car matching the description, on the same road, a bit further down the road, hit another car head-on causing a few fatalities.

In this case the authorities had an extremely difficult time explaining their initial reaction.

Twice in Fairbanks I called in a seemingly impaired driver. On both occassions the police kept me on the line until they contacted the driver. In one case I got a follow-up call telling me the driver was DUI.

Good thing none of our motorcycle bretheren ride distracted, especailly not those "worlds toughest," "safe," long-distance riders.

2011IBR_20110620_71505591.jpg

Twice in Fairbanks I called in a seemingly impaired driver. On both occassions the police kept me on the line until they contacted the driver. In one case I got a follow-up call telling me the driver was DUI.
I actually followed this "white haired older lady to her job" as we commuted in that a.m. so as to help the police find her and (supposedly) to get to the bottom of the situ.-sadly that never happened.
My "other story" on this same page is some years back while driving back from KS to KY in the middle of the night-was after midnight- we came down the exit ramp on I-64 in Frankfort , KY too meet!!!!!!! another car which I avoided by driving onto the shoulder!!!! As we came to the stop sign at the lower end of the ramp, there is a state police car and the officer is shaking down what looks to be a hitchhiker. The guys "stuff" is spread around the general area at the base of the stop sign. I pull over, yes I was "energized" by the past moments & I get the officers attention verbally to which I'm told to essentially bug , "don't you see I'm busy". Well it seemed important to me that someone had just entered the I road in the wrong direction! so I ask him again for his attention to which I was told to "get out of there now". It wasn't like he had his weapon out on the hitch guy either. I went to the 1st gas station and called from there. Not either of these is a great advertisement for what is a respected police organization,huh?

Lexington,KY Herald-Leader paper yesterday states that a fed grant will be paying overtime for 2 officers per day to catch texting drivers-one to drive one, to watch. I worked with criminals professionally & think I have a fair understanding of the criminal mind (does anyone?) & the traditional "boogeyman" but as they say, "they are now us"?

Back