• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Rider/Member: One month on the road

J

jason.c.dodge

Hey,

I recently got back from a 32 day trip from Virginia to Oregon via mid US and then back home via northern US. I was and am still a new rider having aced the rider safety course at the end of June, 2013 and put on only 1,000 miles from July to mid-August before setting out.

The trip totaled to just over 8,000 miles with no major mishaps, visiting with family/friends and AMAZING sites around the US. It's documented at the link below (I've still 3 more posts to complete the story from South Dakota to home).

I was initially inspired by the book Ghost Rider back in 2008 when I first read it and it's a bug that's always stayed with me. I was further inspired and reached my tipping point earlier this year when I read about Simon and Lisa Thomas at www.2ridetheworld.com and their statement about dreams and consequences.

I rode a 1996 BMW R1100RT I picked up off a fellow moving out of the area who wasn't taking long trips anymore. It's funny to compare my comfort level from mid-June when I got the bike and had a friend drive it home for me to where I'm at now.

Hopefully my experience will inspire people (especially would-be riders) to follow their dreams, respect their riding level always and enjoy the open road!

www.soiride.blogspot.com

Welcome, Jason! That was a pretty ambitious trip as a new rider. I'm glad all went well. Nice intro post! I look forward to hearing about your adventures and how you feel you progress as a rider.

Welcome, and congrats on the ride! I'm still a new rider at 2 years and 24,000 miles ... haven't gotten to anything that ambitious yet. Next summer, though.

I just looked through a bit of your blog, and noticed you got AAA roadside assistance after a towing distance problem. When I last looked, our California AAA's motorcycle roadside assistance coverage was pretty sketchy -- it was only with the "premium" membership, and only "if available." BMWMOA's coverage has less weasel-words, and they did come through for me with a 50-mile tow out of our local mountains one night. Just - buyer beware!

Fantastic. Glad to have you here and look forward to reading more of your ride reports.:clap

Welcome!

Jason, welcome to the fold! Glad you had a great long distance ride. There are lots of places to see in this great land...and always better on two wheels.

Welcome, glad things went well and you returned safe and sound. I agree, there is no way to see the world as exhilarating as on a motorcycle. Looking forward to hearing of your future adventures. I'll see you out there.

Back