• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Navajo Reservation Roads

burnszilla

In the Navajo Indian Reservation there are roads named BIA-18, BIA-594 etc.
Are these paved, dirt or gravel? How are they to ride on?

Many of the BIA roads are not paved. I have even had my 2610 take me to dirt roadheads when I selected "major" roads only while traveling in riural NM and AZ. Find a comprehensive resource tif you can, but don't assume all roads are paved.

>How are they to ride on?

Lots of fun, but be aware that some are by invitation only, like fishing on private land. ASK first.

>I have even had my 2610 take me to dirt roadheads when I selected "major" roads only while traveling in riural NM and AZ.

If it's the "only" road, doesn't that make it a "major" road? ;) I'm sure it does for the people who live there.

dlearl said:
If it's the "only" road, doesn't that make it a "major" road? ;) I'm sure it does for the people who live there.

Darn Dlearl - I guess I need to learn to speak "computer!" Thanks for the insight. :D You are probably right - if it's the only road within 20 miles, that's where one will end up. You can tell I'm a city boy.

You need the Navajo map

Burnszilla said:
In the Navajo Indian Reservation there are roads named BIA-18, BIA-594 etc.
Are these paved, dirt or gravel? How are they to ride on?

Stephen - I found that a number of the roads in the Navajo Indian reservation were not on the Rand McNally-style maps... or on my GPS. (Garmin V with Mapsource Roads and Recreation).

When riding through the area, it's advised that you stop and buy a Navajo Nation road map.

Even with the Navajo map, the roads can be confusing.... and poorly marked. Many times I found myself riding up a canyon to find some folks' house... sometimes with a mean dog or dogs.... and having to scramble a u-turn and gtf-outta there!

Pay close attention to your surroundings. If you notice the walls of a canyon starting to rise on both sides of the road, it is highly likely you're heading up a dead-end road.

Also, on one recent traverse north of the monuments, I started out east on a beautiful, wide, hard-packed dirt road and wound up riding the wall of a canyon on a fully-loaded GS, with long stretches of deep sand and rocks... and steep switchbacks, just to reach the US Hwy that I could see on my GPS what appeared to be just a half mile ahead. That can be quite stressful when you're out there alone.

Many of the roads are dirt and hard-packed... easy to ride on any bike. But, as in my description above, you may find yourself backtracking if you don't want a serious dual-sport ride.

The best thing to do, as suggested above, is stop and ask someone.

Ian

bumpy

You'll have a good time on the reservations. They are sad places,the roads are often terrible(fun on a R1200 I'm sure).
Make friends quiclky,buy drinks.

oak ya te hey= How ya doin (greeting) Navajo.
oak ya te hey she qus= I'm fine and good,(something like that) Navajo.

I never had a problem having a drink on a reservation.

Put up a "no fishing" sign and what happens?

Back