• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Corn lobby's response to all our ethanol threads

How about, "Hey, we're converting a food crop into fuel causing the price of corn to go drastically higher all around the world so the less fortunate have less too eat."

good PR doesn't let pesky facts get in get in the way. you believe how nasty those big oil companies can be? :D

I'm not certain they are not telling the truth. So, let's accept as 100% fact what they write.

Such as:

"...the EPA...approved a 15% blend of ethanol for all 2001 and newer automobiles."

OK, great. I drive a 1989 truck and a 1974 motorcycle. That statement does not put me at ease.

I like the study by the Iowa State University regarding corn ethanol and fuel prices. Now there's an objective study. :deal

pete

The problem is that manufacturers don't necessarily approve E15 and in some instances expressly forbid it. EPA approval only addresses the environmental issue. That is their responsibility.
The fact that 11 years after it was approved by the EPA, E15 is still forbidden in some cars shows manufacturers are not going out of their way to accommodate themselves to the change over, if there is going to be one. Or maybe they just see it as a potential out on fuel system warranty claims.

But then we face more pressing issues as passengers headed towards the fiscal cliff.

good PR doesn't let pesky facts get in get in the way. you believe how nasty those big oil companies can be? :D

Ethanol has nothing to do with oil companies. It's simply extra expense for them and the profit goes to farmers and politicians, not them. They're not buying up farmland to get in on it.

Ethanol has nothing to do with oil companies. It's simply extra expense for them and the profit goes to farmers and politicians, not them. They're not buying up farmland to get in on it.

"...and the profit goes to farmers..."

Let me guess - you are not a farmer. Don't confuse Archer Daniels Midland and the other big agribusiness for the average farmer.

Never believe anything out of the mouths of those who stand to profit the most from whatever it is that's being discussed. The only issue I'm concerned with is the manufacturers refusal to cover any fuel system problems that surface as a result of the higher alcohol content in our fuel supply. I was out in California a couple of week ago on a job. We rented a 2013 Toyota Rav4. I enjoyed the car as it's on my list as a possible replacement down the road for my current car. I couldn't help but notice when I filled it up before returning it to the rental company that the gas cap was stamped in big white letters, "NO E15 / E85" Personally, I don't care what E15 does for the environment if it's going to cause me a bunch of expensive problems with my car. And I'm an NOT impressed with the government certifying anything on this subject. Obviously, the manufacturers aren't buying into it. Unfortunately, I think we'll just have to wait and see!

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Ethanol blended fuels "may" burn cleaner than pure gas fuels in our vehicles. But the net result of producing, distributing (as in more tanker loads of E10 or E15) by diesel trucks, and getting less miles per tank, meaning more tank loads purchased, to me does not add up to any gains other than the dollars going into the pockets of the E10 and E15 producers.

I don't buy E10 whenever I can avoid it up here in Wisconsin, and I certainly will NOT buy any E15, if possible. Interesting that the "facts about the TRUTH of ethanol" makes NO mention whatsoever about the reduced mileage per gallon when using ethanol blended fuels comapred against whole gas fuels.

The quote strikes me as nothing but hype, "NASCAR has run on Sunoco Green E15, a fuel blended with 15% ethanol, for
over 4 million miles." So what! NASCAR engines need the extra cooling capability of ethanol (water) partly because of the very high compression engines they run. The ethanol also helps reduce detonation issues, again in very high compression engines. Engines that can run at a far more rich fuel/air mix than we run in our cars and bikes. Engines that are also REBUILT at a very high rate to insure max power and durability. The ethanol fuel is just a small part about NASCAR, that has very little relationship to our everyday driven cars.

Just a reminder guys, we try to stay off the politics of issues did to the end result of "no win"- and bad feelings.
The Mod Team.

FACTS: Both are carbon based fuels and we need to get off both of them, if you are concerned with the quality of life our kids and their kids will have.
Both have skin in the game and we receive propaganda from both.
If you add in what it costs us (from our taxes) in subsidies to the oil giants, the actual price we are paying for gasoline is absurd! Many of us would stop driving our cars and trucks.

Just saying.

the actual price we are paying for gasoline is absurd! Many of us would stop driving our cars and trucks.

Just saying.

Look at Europe! These guys are still driving cars and trucks at $7.00/gallon. 65% diesel powered vehicles, however.

Politcs and fuel/motorcycles

When analysing fuels, cars/trucks, motorcycles, and the synthesis of same, it is virtually impossible to discuss any of it without stepping into the political arena. All vehicles today are de facto government designed by the various laws applied thereto. Same for fuels. So, we either agree to not post about fuel and or vehicle designs, engine management systems and the like, all now mandated by federal/state agencies through regulations, or we give in and have at it. Guess it's not possible considering the vast rift now apparent in our society when it comes to atempting a rational discussion bordering on these gov. agency designed parameters. Last time I checked, guess what?, agencies are nothing more than a bunch of humans just like ourselves, and if we don't discuss what they tell us to do, they just keep telling us what to do.

Tried to not state anything about ethanol, fuels, vehicular design, etc., and fully accept a time out, but I couldn't help saying something as innocuous as possible.

Purpose

I posted this piece because I thought it reflected a nervous lobby desperate to sway the masses away from the facts and issues. I thought it reflected a victory in a way; if they are that nervous and desperate our exclamations on-line, voting at the pump with our pocket book, must be working. And I also wanted to illustrate how insulting the corporate landscape can be, pontificating with hubris from their bully pulpit.

Look at Europe! These guys are still driving cars and trucks at $7.00/gallon. 65% diesel powered vehicles, however.

True, but diesel prices in Europe are notably lower than gasoline prices. That, coupled with the fact that, in general, diesel engines get better fuel economy and it's easy to understand why they are more popular than here in the States.

You can not compaire Europe prices to US

Make no mistake: the price of the raw gas is about the same as the U.S., but Europe taxes gasoline at a higher rate. At the moment, taxes in France make up about 56 percent of the pump price.

Back