• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Size/Type of Oil Filter Wrench?

royce

So ... how many different types of wrenches are there for an F800 oil filter? Thus far I have found at least three different types, all the same size 76mm, but with different "teeth" for different brands of filter wrenches. This oil changing stuff is gonna get expensive in a hurry if I have to buy one of each in order to be able to remove any filter. Had two oil changes by the dealer and each time they installed a different type of filter--they likely don't care about different wrenches cuz they have 'em all--and when I went to buy a filter at a parts place, the different brands required different wrenches. What's the solution?

I use a small metal band style that I purchased at Walmart or some such place. Works well, cost less.... much less.

I use a small metal band style that I purchased at Walmart or some such place. Works well, cost less.... much less.

Wow! Don't I feel stupid. Didn't even think about a band type wrench. I used to have one of those for oil filters on old Chevys, but much larger than 76 mm. Thx for the reminder/suggestion.

If your dealer is not installing BMW parts you should complain.

There's only one BMW part number for your filter.

Back