• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Change Rally to September timeframe

I like it hot! The days are longer and you can ride early in the morning or later in the evening. Save the midday hours for a pool or napping. OK , so I'm lazy, I still get my share of miles in and I lOVE the summer weather.

n1hnr94 said:
If you are concerned about September and kids...they are called baby sitters. It is only a weekend for God sakes.

But not necessarily a weekend ride...

GS Cooke Mnster said:
Geez "username", I didn't know that the small windscreen on my GS was considered a "giant fairing and windscreen"! God, get a life.

i suggest you read post 9 to better understand the seed that was planted and bloomed as my comments. i was not referring to you.

copernicus died for the heliocentric model - that means the world does not revolve around you. ;)

apology accepted. :D

username said:
i'll bet $100 that no matter when the rally is held, 10% of the membership will complain about it and want a change.

I can live with 10%.

And I would love to see a May, June or Sept rally. I don't have one of those "nekkid" bikes, nor will I.

In either event, if I can get the time off, I will go, heat or no heat. Unfortunately it won't work out for me this year.

Keep it in the summer.. there's the RA rally in sept or oct.. vote with your feet, and go to the RA rally. But please MOA execs, don't change it from July!

GS Cooke Mnster said:
None was offered, nor will any be forthcoming, since there is no reason for one

too late, i accepted one from you. youre hosed. you cant take it back. :stick

and the only reason i could think of that you might consider one was snapping at me and acting as if i were discussing your bike, which even someone like you, the kind of guy who tries to retract a well-deserved and graciously accepted apology, can understand.

ride well, ride safe.

any time other than end of June, July and begining of August risks wet weather. i would suggest that a rainy forecast would keep more folks away than heat. Ican't tell you how many trips i've taken in April/May or Sept/Oct that involved rain.............keep it a summer event, there are plenty of other rallies the rest of the year.....

Just too HOT

July is just too hot for Texas riding. Regardless of where the rally is, I still have to get out of Texas to attend.
I would vote to move the rally Date to Sept or May. Or maybe a floating date announced a year or two in advance so people can schedule their time off.
If Sept or May, we could have another MOA rally in Texas, and this time some one would come.

It will be the RA for me, even in the wet.

Last edited:
All of the people, all of the time...

...are not going to be happy. But since many others are weighing in, I will as well.

I have kids, 4 of them. 2 older, now adults, and 2 younger, 1 in high school, 1 still in middle school. My choice is to be very involved with my kids by coaching their summer sports, supporting them in summer activities by hauling them to camps, and being there in the off hours. That said, the July date for the rally couldn't be a worse week/weekend for me. That's when we have ball tournaments, that's when we're in the middle of summer camps, etc. The weather, yeah, I'd rather NOT ride in high temps, but could do it, if not for my other commitments.

That said, a September date would be wonderful for me personally. My oldest daughter could run the house in my absence, but chances are my wife wouldn't accompany me anyway, so "kid care" is a moot point for me. Days would be shorter, but temps would be cooler, riding more pleasurable.

Lima, Ohio, is a fairly long, 1 day ride for me, or 2 very doable short days. This, right in the middle of one of my busiest weeks/weekends of the summer. It's my personal choice to do what I do, so I'm definitely not whining about the date. I've made my choices, and a September date would suit me personally much better.

I'd forfeit some beer to get a different date

It's pretty obvious that no month is just right for everyone, so it seems logical that the choice of rally dates should be based on what works for the largest percentage members.
Parents with childcare issues notwithstanding, moving the rally to a more temperate month - like May or September - opens up a much wider selection of venues across the country at a time when the summer tourists are off the roads and not clogging up the lodging.
Even though my July 14 birthday is alway close enough to the rally date to get me a free beer or two from friends, I favor ending this unfortunate attachment to mid-July for the 'MOA rally.
:drink :drink :drink :drink :drink

Rally Tally

I'd be in favor of just putting it to a vote...

I agree that going with a more Fall / Spring date would open things up to the possiblilty of visiting places that are just too hot in July.

RW

Take a vote, eh?

IndyGT said:
. . .it seems logical that the choice of rally dates should be based on what works for the largest percentage members.
. . .moving the rally to a more temperate month - like May or September - opens up a much wider selection of venues across the country at a time when the summer tourists are off the roads and not clogging up the lodging. . . .I favor ending this unfortunate attachment to mid-July for the 'MOA rally.

WHAT HE SAID!!!

I'm an elderly teenager too and riding in July in 90+ temps with ATGATT, lumbago, arthritis, sciatica, nasal drip, hammer toe, double vision, furry tongue, gimpy knees and 4-speed shiftitis (the increasing inability to shift through the gears properly in rush-hour traffic) is all getting to be too much for my old frame. :D

Somebody. . . TAKE A POLL!

gambrinus said:
I'd be in favor of just putting it to a vote...

I believe it's been tried before. With surveys and such. But the return is quite low. Hard to tell if those that don't respond don't care about rallies at all or just want things to stay the same.

RA in TN sounds like a winner. With my luck it will snow.
Jim

Rally Site and timing

How about if we had the rally at a place that was at a higher elevation? Such places are cooler no matter the season. They also tend to have interesting approach roads and scenery. Add in the mix a resort location and you'd have a real winner.

Jon-Lars
Beverly, WA

Attachments

• BCtour.jpg
    BCtour.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 199
Back