• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Change Rally to September timeframe

G

GSCOOKEMNSTER

Well, I just looked at the weather forecast for the coming week in Lima and points I'd me riding thru, and its just too damn hot and humid for me. I'm thinking of bagging the rally and heading north to cooler rides.

I do have to ask, why the hay we have the rally in July? I think July/August are the worst months for riding a bike, the heat & humidity are just too much. Now September is about the perfect month. I see the RA has their's in early Oct. Why don't we change the time of the rally to a cooler time of the year?

September rally?

I agree. It would also open up more rally sites in the southern states.

Rob Lessen
Arma, KS

Cold front moving in

Cold front moving thru tonite will drop temp to 80's and humidity to 60's.

GS Cooke Mnster said:
I do have to ask, why the hay we have the rally in July? I think July/August are the worst months for riding a bike, the heat & humidity are just too much. Now September is about the perfect month. I see the RA has their's in early Oct. Why don't we change the time of the rally to a cooler time of the year?

i agree, i'd honestly rather ride in 40 degree weather in late march or november, i don't do well in heat and humidity

I was outside all day Saturday at the Rib Cook Off, pretty wilting humidity levels, same on Sunday, but when riding, that weather never bothers me. I do like September, but I wonder how a fall date would affect attendance?

Too hot in July. Was all packed last night but after seeing the weather forcast I went ahead and made hotel reservations so I'd at least have a cool room to retreat to... I hate tent camping when the dewpoint is 75F. If the rally needs to be in the summer, it needs to be north, perhaps north of the border.

Tomorrow I leave Virginia for the rally and the forcast is for 96F. Ouch.

I think September (after Labor Day) has many benefits that would increase attendance

1) cooler riding and camping
2) less road construction
3) cheaper lodging
4) more lodging availably (summer crowds are gone)
5) less stormy weather
6) easier to schedule time off (everyone w/kids is fighting for summer time off at work)

I'm sure there's more.

GS Cooke Mnster said:
I see the RA has their's in early Oct. Why don't we change the time of the rally to a cooler time of the year?
Hurricanes? Last years RA rally in WV was a good excuse to test your raingear. Nice time though :thumb Mid September might be nice.

We are hotelling it due to the heat as well. Concealed behind tall windscreens makes for some toasty riding. God Bless MESHTEX. But hot/cold, humid or dry,no matter when it is all about the ride, plus...that is what the beer tent is for. It is a plot to get you to drink more.... :drink

Late May.

No hurricanes, and no conflicts with college football.

September would have more conflicts with people who have school age kids.

It is gonna be hot this week.

Rally date

Biff's R said:
Late May.

No hurricanes, and no conflicts with college football.

September would have more conflicts with people who have school age kids.

It is gonna be hot this week.

:dunno
When does the RA have their Rally? October? This year in TN? Hmmmm......are we on to something?
Adios

GS Cooke Mnster said:
I think September (after Labor Day) has many benefits that would increase attendance

1) cooler riding and camping
2) less road construction
3) cheaper lodging
4) more lodging availably (summer crowds are gone)
5) less stormy weather
6) easier to schedule time off (everyone w/kids is fighting for summer time off at work)

I'm sure there's more.

We're not all retired, many of us need to put the kid in summer camp to even consider a rally. Something during the school year would not be good.

non summer internat'l

I thought someone would bring up kids and summer! While I'm a LONG way from retirement, worrying about children is not a concern for me. :D How about every couple of years having an Internat'l during good riding weather? :D

Ozarks in the fall, Smokies in the spring, Rockies in July, Florida in January! Every decade or so we could go west into Northern Cali. (Hummmm, Napa!)

Something to think about.....

Rob Lessen
Arma, packing the bikes, KS

'73 Honda XL250 (not going)
'91 R100GSPD (not going)
'96 R11RS (Going!)
'05 R12RT (Going!)

SheRidesABeemer said:
We're not all retired, many of us need to put the kid in summer camp to even consider a rally. Something during the school year would not be good.

Have to agree with Gail. May and September are great months to vacation but they don't work with the school schedules...and some of us have very limited vacations days.

If you are concerned about September and kids...they are called baby sitters. It is only a weekend for God sakes.

SheRidesABeemer said:

That's right we aren't all retired and I'm far from it! I also have two kids, one in high school and one in elementary school, and during the school year is far easier to schedule coming to the rally. I'm not bringing them anyway.

Callmethebreeze said:
:dunno
When does the RA have their Rally? October? This year in TN? Hmmmm......are we on to something?
Adios

The RA Rally is usually from late Aug to Early Oct. That is why it's first on my list. But that can be a problem in the Hurricane area. The July time frame the MOA uses is bad for me and I only go when it's a MUST SEE location. It's not possible for me to do both.

i'll bet $100 that no matter when the rally is held, 10% of the membership will complain about it and want a change.

same goes for where.

personally i dont have a preference. but i can see that one of the benefits of having it in july is that the days are long. people get more time on the roads in daylight. local rides around the rally can start earlier and end later for people that like riding in full light.

too hot behind your giant fairing and windscreen? errrr, so we should move the rally time, or should you get a smaller windscreen, pour some water down your shirt, or consider a nekkid bike?

is this a question that could be included in the ON member surveys and be used to take the pulse of the club, or at least the 7% of members who bother to send the survey back? :D

username said:
too hot behind your giant fairing and windscreen? errrr, so we should move the rally time, or should you get a smaller windscreen, pour some water down your shirt, or consider a nekkid bike?

Geez "username", I didn't know that the small windscreen on my GS was considered a "giant fairing and windscreen"! God, get a life.

Back