• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

R1100RT and Autolite 3923's

dieselyoda

So, I can read, and some of the stuff I read is rather questionable. I read somewhere that my expensive NGK Iridium plugs weren't worth the money. I have also read about the dreaded "tailpipe explosion" that occurs with these bikes. My buddies riding tail gunner started calling themselves the Beemer Fart Smellers.

Slammed a pair of Autolite 3923's into it a few days ago, the Fart Smellers couldn't complain today.

In my opinion, started nicer, less hesitation and felt like an Airhead under my but.

I use only Autolite 3923 in my '95 R1100R. About $3.00 for a 2 pack from Wal-Mart. Have never been disappointed.

Mark

Not 100% sure but I think the use of Autolite 3923 plugs in the 1100 Oilhead was pioneered by Rob Lentini on his 1100RS. His articles on surging and performance form the basis of a lot of what is known about oilhead surging and how to alleviate it on various forums. Autolite plugs are a great and inexpensive alternative to BMW's recommended Bosch FR5DTC dual electrode plugs. The Bosch dealer sold plugs are at least $12 each up here last time I checked and really don't work very well at all compared to the single electrode alternative
I tried the standard 3923 and now use Autolite AP3923 which is the platinum tip version. They are noticeably better than the Bosch plugs performance wise and after over 20,000 miles show no appreciable wear. I think I paid about $4 bucks each for them. :thumb

There is nothing particularly magic about the 3923 plugs. But they fit, they are readily available, they are inexpensive, and they are a single electrode plug.

To understand why I mention a single electrode plug, do a search on the terms "indexing spark plugs". Here is an example - short but sweet:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/content_Library-Indexing-Spark-Plugs___

The earliest Oilhead 1100 bikes had triple electrode plugs. I don't know why BMW used them but do know that Cadillac used them to extend plug life to extend tune-up intervals to 100,000 miles.

BMW later went to a dual electrode plug. Later they went to two whole spark plugs and the wretched stick-coil arrangement. Either 3, or 2 ground electrodes on a plug simply increases the odds that one of the electrodes is aligned with the incoming fuel charge and masking the spark. This hinders regular, complete combustion which is a primary cause of surging, less than optimal fuel mileage, carbon buildup, and probably a few other problems too.

If you want to chase this as far as possible, use a single electrode plug and actually index the plug to orient the ground electrode away from the intake valves.

I use only Autolite 3923 in my '95 R1100R. About $3.00 for a 2 pack from Wal-Mart. Have never been disappointed.

Mark

Oh my god! :eek Don't let some of the experts on this forum here know that you buy parts for your precious BMW at Walmart!!! They wouldn't even put that stuff in their lawn-mower....:violin

I have well over 150,000 miles on my 94 RS running the Autolite 3923s. No issues. bike runs great, fuel mileage in the 45 to 48 range (Techlusion equipped).

3923's

Have worked well in all my oilheads and absolutely more bang for the buck than the BMW/Bosch $12 alternative. Bikes seemed somewhat smoother as well

There is nothing particularly magic about the 3923 plugs. But they fit, they are readily available, they are inexpensive, and they are a single electrode plug.

To understand why I mention a single electrode plug, do a search on the terms "indexing spark plugs". Here is an example - short but sweet:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/content_Library-Indexing-Spark-Plugs___

The earliest Oilhead 1100 bikes had triple electrode plugs. I don't know why BMW used them but do know that Cadillac used them to extend plug life to extend tune-up intervals to 100,000 miles.

BMW later went to a dual electrode plug. Later they went to two whole spark plugs and the wretched stick-coil arrangement. Either 3, or 2 ground electrodes on a plug simply increases the odds that one of the electrodes is aligned with the incoming fuel charge and masking the spark. This hinders regular, complete combustion which is a primary cause of surging, less than optimal fuel mileage, carbon buildup, and probably a few other problems too.

If you want to chase this as far as possible, use a single electrode plug and actually index the plug to orient the ground electrode away from the intake valves.

I think this is why I like Bosch 4417 so much. 4 electrodes, and my surging is really minimized. On no alcohol fuels I often get 46 to 48 on spirited rides in the Ozarks.

I do switch from side to side, every valve check, to equalize wear. Eventually the gasket will not seal anymore and I buy new plugs to get new gaskets. Anyone know where to get gaskets?

Rod

Mark

Oh my god! :eek Don't let some of the experts on this forum here know that you buy parts for your precious BMW at Walmart!!! They wouldn't even put that stuff in their lawn-mower....:violin

I don't think there is a problem with that Rod as long as you use BMW specs in setting the gaps. :dance:dance :D

Now I wouldn't ever use a FRAM filter because everyone knows that it will ruin your engine in less than 3,000 miles. Haven't you seen the cut away pictures on the internet? I mean, come on now, cars are littered on the side of the road with blown engines because of cheap oil filters. :D:D:D:D

I've use the Autolites with no problems.

Mark

Maybe a bit off topic so take me right out and shoot me just please don't use ammo from Wal-Mart. I wouldn't buy 3923 plugs at Wal-Mart or anything else at Wal-Mart for that matter. In fact, if Wal-Mart were giving away 3923 plugs I'd still go to NAPA to get them.

Wasn't there a movie.......

Maybe a bit off topic so take me right out and shoot me just please don't use ammo from Wal-Mart. I wouldn't buy 3923 plugs at Wal-Mart or anything else at Wal-Mart for that matter. In fact, if Wal-Mart were giving away 3923 plugs I'd still go to NAPA to get them.

Isn't there a movie with Dustin Hoffman and Tom Cruise as brothers? Oh yeah, "Rain Man", I love that movie. OH, me bad, "K-Mart Sucks".

Back