• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1300GT vibrations

sonnyb

I'm still new to K bikes and my '10 1300GT(23000 miles) gets vibration while decelerating,at any speed and any rpm's.it doesn't occur at acceleration and crusing.
I just wonder is it normal? Anyone have this issue before?
thanks
Sonny

Is it a sound that resembles a loose baffle ? Buzzing sound. If so, I returned a K1300 to BMW for the very same reason. There is a defect in the design which shows more pronounced on some K1300's than others. The dealer changed just about every component of my drivetrain. Some say it is in the generator shaft area. Anyways, don't even bother getting it fixed, it will empty your pocket. Read some forum entries, especially from Europe and it is a very well known issue. The engine design was outsourced to an Austrian firm, so BMW didn't even design it ! Trust me, as I've been through the learning curve, you either accept the vibrations or sell the bike. I tested a whole bunch of brand new K1300R's and K1300s's at various dealers, and they all had the issue. Mine was a 2010, I don't know if they fixed the problem.

thanks gpw,luckly it is still under warranty.
any websites and forums you know of on this subject?

Just Google "K1300S, K1300R, K1300GT vibrations" and you'll get some forum entries. My bike did not do it when it was cold, but as soon as it warmed up it was vibrating like crazy at 3000-4000 RPM and especially on deceleration. I was very disappointed, as the bike could have been awesome but it just didn't work out. The GT is just a slight de-tuned version of the S and R versions but has the same defect. There are many guys who say they don't have the issue, but again I rode several new bikes and they all had the problem. They should have had a Japanese firm design the engine. LOL

I read in a different Forum there was a problem with the ball joints on some. I had a K1200GT but never had that particular issue.

I'm still new to K bikes and my '10 1300GT(23000 miles) gets vibration while decelerating,at any speed and any rpm's.it doesn't occur at acceleration and crusing.
I just wonder is it normal? Anyone have this issue before?
thanks
Sonny

Pretty common complaint over at other K bike forums...

I just purchased a used 2008 K1200GT w 7,000 miles...
Same issue while decelerating... not to my liking either.

Like another wrote, expensive (and frustrating) ghost to chase.

I might try to re torque my engine mount bolts, bit honestly, I think that, to one degree or another, that's just the way they are.
Some bikes may be better or worse than others, and some folks are blissfully unaware, or at least, unperturbed.

This entire design had a very short run. Came out in what, 2006?
All but gone now. Maybe a K1300S will be available in 2014, but I'd bet that that'll be the last of them.

my .02... whatever that's worth
I'm with the other that wrote
Learn to live with, or bail out of it.

d'milan

Back