• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

America's Cup

I'm the OP, just for the record. In the beginning I found the racing exciting and the TV coverage excellent (I could do with a bit less graphics). Now I'm rapidly losing interest. Too much wind. Not enough wind. Wind 5 degrees from the wrong direction. It's starting to resemble NASCAR.

It's a sailboat race, fer crying out loud. Just get out there and race the boat!

The kicker for me was Friday's race when the Kiwis had a 2 minute lead but didn't finish in the allotted time, 40 minutes, so the race was abandoned. Why 40 minutes? Good question! That's so they can fit two races in a 2 hour TV schedule. Good grief.

Pardon me while I go switch to the poker on another sports channel.

pete
Another day with no plans to use calculus.

Watch today. The winds and tides should provide good racing.

GO ORACLE!!!

:dance:dance:dance

GO ORACLE!!!
Oracle doesn't need any encouragement- in any of the races :burnout :D
I was out on this-
columbia7.jpg
when we heard what we thought was thunder- on a sunny day.
It was Oracle's Motor Yacht that IIRC had just set a record for the Bahamas-Newport run. A rather large MY that was really haullin'
OM

I know I should feel differently........

One day, after an exasperating day of listening to colleagues drone on about wind turbines, I wondered how many passengers you could carry in a sailplane or the number of TEU's that could be mounted on a Clipper ship..........

As I said......I was frustrated. But, I do think they are all pretty and nice to watch.

I don't see anything scheduled for today on TV??

Probably, because they weren't supposed to still be racing this late in the month, the networks (NBC and NBCSN) have scheduled other programing. Here in California, it will be on COZI (ch 186 on bay area Comcast).

You can watch it on YouTube. I don't know if there is a way to watch it live or if you have to wait for hem to post the entire show after it's over.

From Americascup.com:

Race 14 is rescheduled to start at 1:15 pm PT and Race 15 at 2:15 pm PT. In the U.S., the America?s Cup Finals will be broadcast live on the NBC Sports Network. Replays will be available on the America?s Cup YouTube channel.

Internationally, the America?s Cup Final can be viewed in more than 170 territories. All racing is also live on America?s Cup YouTube channel (subject to territorial restrictions).

You can also follow racing with America?s Cup App for android and iOS devices.

My U-verse on-TV grid guide doesn't show any racing...I've been watching it on the NBC sports channel. Guess I'll have to catch it on youtube.

Rising Sun, perhaps. It'll do 28 knots. But apparently David Geffen owns it now.
I couldn't find a picture of the boat, it was a few years ago and my "all things nautical" (referenced previously) is out of town. I was told it was some sort of jet-drive and the cost to set the record was 40K :eek It was quite a rig with three decks(?) of bubble glass on the front.
OM

I couldn't find a picture of the boat, it was a few years ago and my "all things nautical" (referenced previously) is out of town. I was told it was some sort of jet-drive and the cost to set the record was 40K :eek It was quite a rig with three decks(?) of bubble glass on the front.
OM

That would be Enigma.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enigma_(yacht).

I'd lost track of all his yachts, after Orca and Rising Sun. But Ellison is a fascinating guy; I remember when his Maxi, Sayonara, with Ellison on board, won line honours in the terrible 1998 Sydney to Hobart race.

That would be Enigma.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enigma_(yacht).

I'd lost track of all his yachts, after Orca and Rising Sun. But Ellison is a fascinating guy; I remember when his Maxi, Sayonara, with Ellison on board, won line honours in the terrible 1998 Sydney to Hobart race.
That's it- you DA Man! Really strange to hear a boat before you saw it. The specs you found explain why! It seems you have an interest in the sport of sailing, I hope you have a chance to check out the links I provided earlier. Again, my previously mentioned Sea Expert, had purchased 2 Oracle "Tank Boats". They were shipped in from CA IIRC and we rigged them onto trailers for ease of use. I think they are currently in CO.
Most of Stephen's latest voyages have been on the Snow Lion
Gary

For those of you with an interest in sailing, this is a friend of mines site- http://stephenlirakis.com/ for current info and pictures of The America's Cup and for sailing and pictures of the world you can try http://www.stephenlirakisphotography.net/
Stephen is a world class sailor and has America's Cup, Trans-Atlantic, Fastnet, Block Island, Bermuda and countless other races under his belt. He has raced with all the big names during his career and his harness shop allowed a number of things now done in the sailing world- to be done.
He is a natural at photography as he can add perspective to a white room.
Enjoy, Gary

Next time you see him tell him I say hello. I think you will be quite surprised with our connection.

Next time you see him tell him I say hello. I think you will be quite surprised with our connection.
Yeah Rob, no surprise really. You and I have talked (briefly) about this before. I think he helped out with some pictures for a book on your Grandfather? recently- I kinda lose track. Stephen has got a great eye for taking a pictures and enjoy seeing his shots from around the world.
I'll be talking to him this week and will pass on the hello.
Gary

Maybe he can get a shot of Larry Ellison hoisting the "Auld Mug" on Tuesday.

Fingers and toes still firmly crossed.

GO ORACLE!!!

Well, do you believe? WOW!

I'm heading over there tomorrow to watch the race of the century!

GO ORACLE!!!

Last edited:
Back