• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Oil spray Left Side

MUSICMAN

My 95 R1100 GS with 115,000 happily traveled miles blew oil on to my left boot and shin yesterday. As soon as I noticed the leak (my toes slid of the shift lever) I had about 6 miles to go to home. It seems it was coming from the left valve cover when at highway speed. Glad I was close to home. Oil light never came on.
I have changed my valve cover gaskets before. After taking the covers off on both sides (time for a valve and rocker arms adjustment) I noticed both spark plug grommets were slightly torn and a small O ring on each valve cover was torn. I'm going to replace all the rubber. However I feel last time I did an adj the rubber was in the same condition and it didn't leak. (I know I should have replaced them but I was on a trip)
Could this possibly be another problem? The oil is not over filled.

I can't seem to find the tiny o rings that go on the thread end of the valve cover bolts on Max's micro fiche.

Also what do I do about stripped thread on the cylinder head? Can I tap it, or put an insert?

Thank you,
Andy

Could this possibly be another problem? The oil is not over filled.

I can't seem to find the tiny o rings that go on the thread end of the valve cover bolts on Max's micro fiche.

Also what do I do about stripped thread on the cylinder head? Can I tap it, or put an insert?

Thank you,
Andy

Oil leak, think simple, first. Check your oil fill O rings, there are two. one on the cap and one on the insert in the valve cover. Next check your oil sight window. Leaking is a common problem on oil heads and easy to fix.

Stripped thread? Are you talking one of the threads for the valve covers? If yes, heli-coil or one of the other inserts works well for a fix.

Can I tap it, or put an insert?

Other than a "Heli-coil", which are good, you can also look for a "Time-Sert" (Canadian term, I think). Wurth has them. They are my preference for screws/bolts that will be removed fairly often. "Heli-coil" are good but find they aren't the most friendly when you need to take it apart again.

A tougher find are "Stak-Em". They look like "Time-Sert" but you can stake them in place, not relying on Loctite. Those are the best but very hard to find.

+1 on what DY said. For high use threads the time sert will work really well. You do have to get the right tools to install them properly and they are not cheap but when done right they are an excellent and permanent fix.

Not a helicoil fan... too soft, too easy to strip again.

Back