• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

SPEED KILLS (Your Pocketbook)

How to fix it

It has to come from the top. Leadership/government has to fix it. I the. Driver, voter cannot. A lot of people think we can fix every problem in America by just voting the right people in, but it hasn't worked so far, don't expect it to work anytime soon. In the last year I've recently had my eyes opened to some fairly serious schanaginas local law enforcement is pulling and it's disappointing. I don't think we can fix this sort of thing unless police use a different approach. It seems like I remember watching a show on law enforcement in a troubled area, Bronx maybe, where the police did a full 180 with their approach and turned the whole city around. It took some retraining on their part, but when they saw results, they realized its all about the results and not how you get there.

Agree, completely. Unlike 'most' politicians, i think it does matter who you vote in as your local sheriff.

Here in Ft Collins, Colorado (Larimer County) we have a Sheriff who actually uses common sense. For example, our new State laws regarding gun registration and magazine limits is now under heavy scrutiny, not only by him filing law suits and refusing to enforce the new law, but also by other county Sheriff's in the State, mostly those north of Denver.

At every opportunity, each of us should do whatever we can to protect and take back our freedoms. There are folks in Washington DC and primary in California who would like to see your BMW limited to a 1:15 ratio of horsepower to weight (lbs dry weight). Just think of it, a new 2014 R1200RT with a whopping 38 hp. Where do I sign up?

Freedom is like credibility. Once you lose it, it is very difficult to get it back.

Sent from my iPhone

I think this video could go viral; it has already been picked up on another board that I frequent. It's obviously a position piece, but it's well done.

We spent several miserable hours on the B.C. section of the Trans Canada Highway yesterday, coming back from Nakusp. We thought we would avoid summer traffic this weekend but, no joy.

Excellent video. Hopefully it'll convince a majority of lawmakers to up the speeds like Texas recently has.

Here's my fix. Increase all highway, byway, back roads and freeway maximum speeds to a speed faster than the fastest car (and motorcycle) can achieve. No more speeding.

Sent from my iPhone

I've found it interesting that because of the differences in math, different countries find speed limits safe for the same type of roads with the same amount of traffic.

For instance, in the USA we wouldn't have the speed limit at 62.5 MPH but in Canada 100 KPH is considered very, very fast. At least I assume that is true based on how few roads have a 100 KPH speed limit.

And I'm sure, from a Canadian POV, it is just as strange when they visit the US.

:laugh:lurk

I disagree, many Canadians will go YAHOO, a speed limit where we can be relaxed, focus on driving and not constantly looking for the hiding cop out to get you.
And if the limits seem a little too fast for some's tastes, they will go slower in the right lane and let others pass. What a concept!

hmmmmm, wait a minute, that is written in most rules, and taught in driver's training, oh ya, people ignore it and never get ticketed for it. Right, easy money giving out speeding tickets. :)

It strikes me that all too many speed limits are posted based on a (one size fits all) set of formulas. Every time I exit an expressway on an unfamiliar ramp I wonder what the "correct" speed is. I know that sometimes 25 mph is seriously the safe speed, but how often do we see ramps posted at 25 when 35 or more would be safe? We motorcyclists have sufficient acceleration capability to drop to an unnecessarily low speed & then accelerate to a proper merging speed. Trucks etc that accelerate slower end up with an excessively long merge that effects the rhythm & tempo of the traffic flow. Politics and luck work against us as well. Hereabouts over the years we have had a situation or two where several nasty accidents take place within a short period of time at almost the same spot, public outcry to add traffic signals or reduce speed soon follow. The fact that few accidents have ever taken place in that spot before makes no difference.
I'll bet that some of the best income producing stretches of road have a posted speed lower that most of us perceive and know to be proper.

Freedom is like credibility. Once you lose it, it is very difficult to get it back.

Considering that construction of public roads isn't mentioned in the original constitution, how can you claim you have a freedom to travel on them any speed you deem appropriate?

"Public roads" (beyond city streets) didn't really appear until after the War of 1812 when the federal gov't finally realized that inland trade was effectively strangled by the lack of roads (i.e., infrastructure). However, with the arrival of train technology in the 1840's, the next 70 years were dominated by the rail barons that controlled most all transcontinental transport and "public road" construction was pretty much ignored by the federal and state governments. US public road construction didn't really occur until the Great Depression with the expansion of federal highway system as public works programs. Then, in the 1950's, Eisenhower passed the Interstate Highway Program as a Cold War defense program to aid rapid mobilization, based on Mussolini's Autostrade and Hitler's Autobahn.

Laying claim to a right and paraphrasing a few selected lines from the Constitution is a surefire path to end-up on the wrong side of the law and your neighbors.

If no speed limits are a good thing, why did the state of Montana reinstate theirs?

I find that, here in the States, most highway speed limits are fair, but I agree that speed fines are not a means to prevent road accidents.

Since signage cannot be changed quickly to reflect current weather or road conditions, the limits must be calculated to lean towards worst case scenarios to keep most drivers safe. The quality and experience level of drivers on any one road at any time covers a wide range so the posted limit must account for that.

I see two possible solutions that could make everyone happier in the future:

1. Speed limit signs that automatically update to reflect current conditons. These exist on I-5 near Seattle now and work well.
  2. Separated express lanes with unlimited speed limits and increased liability in the event of an accident.

I personally would be a safer rider if I didn't need to spend time looking at my speedometer.

If no speed limits are a good thing, why did the state of Montana reinstate theirs?

Didn't the feds threaten to withhold highway funds if they didn't reimpose speed limits? I think Montana caved at the thought of losing several million $$$. Not sure of my facts, but pretty certain I read that somewhere a few years ago.

I like this thread good discussion. It seems the majority of attitudes are leaning in a direction of more liberal rules with more conservative enforcement, or maybe my view is tainted as that is my position...
If in fact that is a general consensus on this forum I think it would be interesting to note our demographic; and by that I specifically would draw your attention to the notion that those calling for this change are not what one might expect, one would expect a lot of 20 year old males riding crotch rockets who believe they are invincible to be advocates for relaxed speed limits, but as far as I can tell on this forum, we're not. One would be wise to take that into account when forming an opinion or enacting a law. If a conservative, safe, responsible, proven track record, demographic think the laws don't reflect their needs it would stand to give one pause and maybe rethink the issue.

Wouldn't it be great if qualified drivers/riders could get permission to drive fast?

We all have a special notation on our driver's licenses that permit us to operate motorcycles.

What if, in exchange for high-liability insurance and special driver's training and testing, we were allowed to legally exceed posted highway speed limits? Certainly reckless driving would not be tolerated, and perhaps a one strike and you're out policy would be prudent. Seems viable to me.

From what I understand, it was due to a lawsuit. The law was subjective, and a guy got a speeding ticket, as the cop had a different interpretation of reasonable speed, than the ticketed driver. So the driver took it to court and out of the mess, the state government decided that the way the former law was written was in essence not enforceable, so they put a value on reasonable.

From what I understand, it was due to a lawsuit. The law was subjective, and a guy got a speeding ticket, as the cop had a different interpretation of reasonable speed, than the ticketed driver. So the driver took it to court and out of the mess, the state government decided that the way the former law was written was in essence not enforceable, so they put a value on reasonable.

You mean a law that establishes a minimum standard of conduct? That's novel.

The principal point to be taken here is that Canadian speed limits are artificially low. I had just started driving in the 1970's when the limit on Ontario's 400 series highways was reduced from 70 mph to 60mph. (pre-metric days) The justification given was fuel savings because of the energy crisis. When the "crisis" was over American speed limits went up, but Canadian politicians didn't reciprocate.

Vehicles are far more fuel efficient today, far safer and highways are still designed for significantly higher speeds than the current 100 km/h limit. Transport Canada statistics show that vehicular injuries and fatalities are at their lowest rates in decades. Only a tiny percentage are attributed to excessive speed, and in those cases it's mostly relative to weather conditions.

Given current technology and the huge distances encountered in Canada the low speed limits are a travesty. The functional speed limit driving through Toronto (other than at rush hour) is 125+/-, with the speed limit unenforced. I would urge Ontario residents to look at stop100.ca. I signed their petition and sent the e-mails and just got a response from the Minister of Transportation. Maybe there is some hope.

The principal point to be taken here is that Canadian speed limits are artificially low. I had just started driving in the 1970's when the limit on Ontario's 400 series highways was reduced from 70 mph to 60mph. (pre-metric days) The justification given was fuel savings because of the energy crisis. When the "crisis" was over American speed limits went up, but Canadian politicians didn't reciprocate.

Vehicles are far more fuel efficient today, far safer and highways are still designed for significantly higher speeds than the current 100 km/h limit. Transport Canada statistics show that vehicular injuries and fatalities are at their lowest rates in decades. Only a tiny percentage are attributed to excessive speed, and in those cases it's mostly relative to weather conditions.

Given current technology and the huge distances encountered in Canada the low speed limits are a travesty. The functional speed limit driving through Toronto (other than at rush hour) is 125+/-, with the speed limit unenforced. I would urge Ontario residents to look at stop100.ca. I signed their petition and sent the e-mails and just got a response from the Minister of Transportation. Maybe there is some hope.

Dave,

Are you saying you want 82.5-mph to be the speed limit on the road from Windsor to Toronto? I-95 from NYC to the DC beltway is only 65-mph.

Jon

This is a good thread. One of the things that seems to be lightly pointed out is that the few push the envelope so government has to set limits.

I have two points to make: Older gent in a Buick doing 60 kmh on a two lane highway designated to be 100 kmh. In Canada, my province anyway, he has the right to do so. Push the speed limit up to reasonable for a nice highway, accidents will happen.

Middle of winter, icy highway designated 100 kmh, reasonable speed is way lower. Somebody, either a new driver or a New Canadian will set their cruise at the posted limit. It usually isn't long before the vehicle is upside down in the rhubarb and if they are still alive, have a look of' "what just happened?" In Canada, the posted limits are only when safe to do so.

For those of you unfamiliar with treacherous ice conditions, never, ever, use your cruise control. That one should be a law.

In my case, I had a 6,000 kg, four wheel drive service truck, doing 80 kmh in a designated 100 kmh on a really bad day. Icy, low visibility but I still thought I was being careful. The RCMP dis-agreed, pulled me over, handed me a ticket for "Imprudent Driving". An HTA offense that came with a $680.00 fine and four demerit points. That drove my license up and removed any discount on my vehicle insurance.

I still don't what that RCMP Officer was thinking when he had to get his ancient Crown Vic turned around and chase me down.

The higher your speed, the lower your miles-per-gallon.

Safety is only one factor in speeding. When most people are 10 or 15 mph over already high speed limits of 70 mph or 75 mph, fuel economy takes a nose dive and CO2 emissions rise greatly as well. It doesn't help that most are driving gas-hogs.

Harry

Dave,

Are you saying you want 82.5-mph to be the speed limit on the road from Windsor to Toronto? I-95 from NYC to the DC beltway is only 65-mph.

Jon

120 km/h with zero tolerance would be my choice. Prevailing speed is 115-120 in the left lane, faster in metro Toronto.

I run with my cruise control set at 115 and cannot even count the number of times the OPP have been running radar and you just cruise right by them. I haven't had a ticket in 30 years with that strategy. Demerit points and an increased fine schedule begin at 116km/h and they can't be bothered to write a ticket for less than that.

As it sits now vehicles doing 100 in the right lane are mobile chicanes, and if you aren't doing 115 you get passed by the majority of the cars. The worst thing is when somebody doing 120 sees a cop and stands on the brakes causing a near pileup. The problem is the bar is set artificially low, people ignore it and there is minimal enforcement. Right now nobody even knows where the bar is set.

Better to set a realistic limit, announce there will be zero tolerance and stick to that.

When most people are 10 or 15 mph over already high speed limits of 70 mph or 75 mph, fuel economy takes a nose dive

Harry,

Some people apparently want to spend more money to travel a given distance. In the wide open expanse beyond the Mississippi River, I understand speed limits of 70 or, perhaps, 80 mph. But, from the Midwest to the east coast, traffic and population density dictates lower speeds.

Jon

Back