• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1150r

Braddog,
I'm wondering why you got rid of theR100S and not the RS.I think I would have done just the opposite.
Hey George,

My R100RS is an early '77 with the 40mm carbs and pipes. It was also my first airhead. My '77 R100S had been heavily modified by at least 1 user over the years, and had an RS fairing on it. So, basically, I had 2 RS's, one original, one modified. The "S" may actually have been a better bike due to the modifications, but I needed to move one, so I chose the "S". I really have no regrets.

I was able to pick up a '94 R11RS for a song from a friend of a friend. I almost feel guilty in that I've put waaaay more miles on the R11RS than I have the R100RS this past riding season.

For the record, the person I sold the '77 R100S to "converted" it back to a real live "S", complete with "S" fairing. He also put in new pistons, Delorto carbs, and painted it white with red stripes in a motosport vein. He wants me to come ride it. Yeah, right, ride it and sell it back to me is what he wants to do.

That sounds like a nice problem to have.The one bike I have always wanted is an R100S.I'm actually thinking of converting my R80/7 to an S.I'm still undecided on an Oilhead.Should i get one or not.I think if I did I would ride it and the Airheads would sit.Good thing the season is about to end here.

An 1150r caviat

I have a 2002 R1150r that I bought new, and have taken it to Canada three times, and pretty much all around the Western United States. I love the bike, except for one thing: the transmission splines seem to fail every 40,000 miles or so. I had the tranny rebuilt at 46,000, and it is now sitting in the shop again with the same problem, with 82,000 miles on it. From what I gather, some do this and some don't, but it's not a rare problem, and it runs about $1,900 to rebuild the transmission. So it's a great bike if you get one that doesn't self destruct every 40,000 miles.

I have a 2002 R1150r that I bought new, and have taken it to Canada three times, and pretty much all around the Western United States. I love the bike, except for one thing: the transmission splines seem to fail every 40,000 miles or so. I had the tranny rebuilt at 46,000, and it is now sitting in the shop again with the same problem, with 82,000 miles on it. From what I gather, some do this and some don't, but it's not a rare problem, and it runs about $1,900 to rebuild the transmission. So it's a great bike if you get one that doesn't self destruct every 40,000 miles.

I suggest you look at having the shop go thru an alignment procedure, that is the very likely cause of your repeated input shaft strippings. without doing that procedure, that bike will continue to eat shaft splines on a regular basis. no amount of lube will prevent it.

I suggest you look at having the shop go thru an alignment procedure, that is the very likely cause of your repeated input shaft strippings. without doing that procedure, that bike will continue to eat shaft splines on a regular basis. no amount of lube will prevent it.

What does an alignment procedure look like? I've done clutch disc alignments but the transmission to engine face alignments are a guide pin and bolt on affair are they not? If they were made wrong at the factory they are not going to ever line up perfectly without some modification no? :scratch

What does an alignment procedure look like? I've done clutch disc alignments but the transmission to engine face alignments are a guide pin and bolt on affair are they not? If they were made wrong at the factory they are not going to ever line up perfectly without some modification no? :scratch

requires measuring axial runout, drilling new holes for guide pins, yada yada. not an easy task, but the only one that is going to resolve this issue, short of eternal parts replacement.
some good write-ups, with extensive pics, buried in here from guys that have done it.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r1100s-r1200s-tech-forum/

Your bike has an alignment problem, or I'm on borrowed time at 170,000 on the original splines.

You and me both Paul. My 94 RS now has over 175k on it. The tranny was replaced under warranty at 68,000 miles, and the rear drive is all oroginal. Its been a great bike.

I still have my 76 R100RS, and bought the 94 R1100RS in Oct 94. The R1100 is so much more bike than the R100, but each has it's own character. If you like your airhead RS, then I'd suggest finding a late 90's R1100RS, the one with the improved tranny is a great bike!! And now, reasonably low miles R1100RS can be found for great prices!

Your bike has an alignment problem, or I'm on borrowed time at 170,000 on the original splines.

I tend to agree...and...how can I say / ask this gently ? How much does riding habit play into it? As they call'em "jack-rabbit" starts etc? Not pointing an accusing finger...just asking.

I tend to agree...and...how can I say / ask this gently ? How much does riding habit play into it? As they call'em "jack-rabbit" starts etc? Not pointing an accusing finger...just asking.

that's a tough one to quantify. "common snese" seays that "jack rabbit" starts can't help, but common snese is not always correct.

iHowever; f you have an trans/engine alignment problem.. behavior probably doesn't matter at all, as riding habits have nothing to do with the underlying problem. if it's lack of appropriate lubrication, well, riding habits aren't going to add/subtract/change the lube status either.

remember- the problem being addressed here is stripping of the splines, not excessive wear to the clutch surface- which could be more likely impacted by riding behavior. j
mho.

Back