• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ride Route Advice - Lake Superior Loop Around Ontario to Duluth, MN

fastdogs2

I am seeking some advice from riders who have done the loop around Lake Superior from Sault Saint Marie to Duluth, MN. I am considering riding this as a route to get to the rally in Minnesota next year.

How long would this loop take (miles or days riding)?

Thanks

I did this route on my R75/5 many years ago, starting in Saginaw, Michigan.

From the Sault Ste. Marie to Duluth is a little over 600 miles of mostly 2 lane roads if my memory serves me right and the roads have not been upgraded much.

While you could do it in one day, an overnight makes it a more pleasant ride. If you want to stop frequently to enjoy the sights, spend two nights.

Dress warm. It can get cold on the north shore in July let alone this time of year.

Grand Marais, Minnesota used to have a free city campground...totally primitive, but the price was right.

My wife and I just came back from doing that route and the roads are generally pretty darn good. Both highways into Copper Harbor (26 & 41) are recommended! My wife only likes to do 200-250 miles a day as she's a new rider and we spent 3 days with LOTS of sightseeing. If i was on my own, riding my normal pace I'd say 2 days. . .

I have made that journey, I would take 3 days there are a lot of things to see. I highly recomend the museum at whitefish point and the copper harbour area is beautiful. While in the copper harbour area check out a place called The Jampot, excellent home made pastries and jams.

Lake Superior Loop

Thanks, Guys, for the feedback!

Now I just have to wait until next July to make it happen.

Bill

Copper Harbor won't work on the route I want to take

I just checked the map and found that Copper Harbor is on the Michigan side of Lake Superior, so I can't go that way for what I want to do.

My intent is to take routes 17 And 61 in Ontario, Canada and loop the top side (North side) of Lake Superior to go from Sault St. Marie to Thunder Bay, Ontario and then on to Duluth, MN.

Sorry, I did not make myself clear in the original post.

Bill

Yeah that's too bad because the trip to the Keeweenaw peninsula would be worth the extra miles. Way more to see and do than going over the top of the lake, I have done it. If you were to go in to Ontario at Sarnia and go up through Manitoulin Island would be better, that's a nice area.
Make sure you have a passport, yo need that for Canada now (got one then haven't been back since I got it, which I need to correct once I get more vacation time at work).
There are some nice views going over the top of the lake, mostly near the Soo and the western part, but in between it is mostly dodging logging trucks, but the roads are fine.
If you are dead set on doing it though, I'd plan on 2 or 3 days just in case I am totally whacked on my assessment and you think it's like heaven with logging trucks, LOL. 2 days anyways.
Thunder Bay check out the Terry Fox Memorial
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Fox_Memorial_and_Lookout

And in the same general area (short side trip) Kakabeka Falls
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kakabeka_Falls

IF you get in to Canada at the Soo and need a place to stay, another short side trip (40 miles one way to get there, but going east not west) is a nice German Restaurant and motel in Bruce Mines Ontario, good German food and beer and then you can crash right there:
http://www.bavarianinnbrucemines.com/

Lake Superior Loop

GILLY,

Thanks very much for the tip about the logging trucks. We have those in NC and I have dodged them in FL, as well. Not much fun to ride with those ahead of you, with the bark chips flying in your face. It's even worse to have them behind you, pressing you because they are trying to get somewhere fast. Perhaps I should reconsider my plans and stay on the US side.

My friends and I do have passports so that is not a problem with entering Canada.

I have plenty of time to plan the route, so I will work on a US routing.

Bill

I really enjoy the picturesque ride along the north shore of Lake Superior. The lake is to your left and the Canadian Shield is on your right. The two times that I have done it (last time in '08), I was able set my speed to be totally alone going in my direction. The road is in good repair with slow/fast passing lanes going over many of the hills, permitting you to either pass or be passed. Good accommodation can be found at the Little Beaver in Wawa and Kings Motel in Thunder Bay. There is also a hostel on a farm, just outside of Thunder Bay. During the summer, you can also stay in residence at Lake Head University in Thunder Bay. Confess I haven't made the trip over to Duluth, as I have always headed off to Winnipeg from there. With the small tank on my K100, I have always filled up at every second town, just to certain that I have enough fuel. With my R1100, I'd most likely fill up at every 3rd town. Be certain to check out the giant Goose in Wawa (in need of some repair these days) and the Terry Fox memorial park just east of Thunder Bay. Have a good trip!

No real advise or wisdom I can add to what has already been posted. Other than to say {IMO} Copper Harbor is worth the 'detour' ? And having been up that way just last year, the roads were in excellent condition. Another 'detour' worth it {IMO} is a stop at Pictured Rocks national shoreline. And if ya like fish ?...stop at one of the many fish houses and get yourself a nice smoked lake white fish, some crackers, & few beers...yum-yum! Best of course if you're in for the night and need not ride anymore that day.....:clap

Keep on your toes watching for animals!!!

If you do the UP of Michigan, has been already noted that Copper Harbor and the Keeweenaw Peninsula is a great destination, the Hwy 41 drive is scenic, canopy-covered, and winding/rolling, great road for cycles. There is a few alternat routes, you should set aside time to do them all. They are MI26, which runs more to the north, along Lake Superior with a few quaint harbor towns to visit, and Brockway Mountain Drive, very rugged and scenic overlooks. If you are in to camping there is a great state campground just outside of Copper Harbor, Ft Wilkins State Park.

Before you get to Copper Harbor (closer to the Soo actually) is the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum (has been mentioned before in this thread), that is in Paradise, MI. They have the ships bell from The Edmund Fitzgerald, also a lighthouse and lots to see. There is good lodging in Paradise.

Like beer? I recommend trying this place, you can eat and try the beer and also there are beautiful falls in walking distance:
http://www.michigan.org/redir.asp?u...ty=G42&p=B6724&app=TM_Profile&campaign=TM_Web

Fun from the soo to Duluth

2 days is needed to ride and enjoy the scenery. Check out the town of Rossport, situated on the shores of superior. Like they say... You will not forget this small place. We stayed there once and enjoyed the experience. Once in Duluth you may want to check out the Aerostitch factory. I have done the north side of superior several times . It is one of my favorites. By Ontario standards, I find the hwy rt for this leg of your trip to be in good condition. Dress warm as the wind off the lake can be chilly. I am also thinking of the rally in Minnesota.it would be my first BMW rally. But I would cross in the soo into Michigan going west. It would be new scenery to me. And I am also planning to keep going through to S.D. Wyoming, montana,Utah , Colorado ,,,and back to Ontario. Sounds like a great LOOP. I have posted in the forum that covers this geography for tips on routes and highlights. Enjoy your trip!!!
Happy trails ...rob.

Riding north of Superior on the Trans-Canada Highway at Schreiber, stop at Pina's Voyageur Restaurant. The food is good and they care about food. We had a great breakfast and will make it a must stop on future trips.

I did the Lake Superior Circle Tour a few years ago. Google it and you will find a web site where you can order a pin/decal/certificate after you complete the journey. It is a 2-dayer from St. Sault Marie to Thunder Bay, on the Canadian side. White River (birth place of Winnie the Pooh) is about half way and has a good motel and restaurant. If you are on the US side, I highly recommend Brown's Fish House in Paradise, MI. I have a route saved on my GPS, but am not at home to check it out. I think it is this one. It worked well for me.

http://www.sundaymorningrides.com/longdistance/7184472/gps

Lake Superior Loop

Kenn45,

Thanks for the recommendation.

We have resolved to stay on the U.S. side, since the Canadian loop would take us more time and we would not arrive at the BMWMOA Rally on time.

Thanks also for the GPS route, but I am sorry to admit that I don't know how to download it into my Garmin Zumo 550. I can't even get the thing to load all of the U.S. off their map updater. It says I only have enough room for the Eastern U.S., so that's what I have.

Thanks,

Bill

Gps

OK, I will try it, but I think the only choices I have are to download the maps either to the Zumo or my computer. How do you transfer it to an SD card? Don't you need a separate device to hold the SD card? I don't know if my computer will handle the load of the maps or what the download speed would be.

I hope I can make it work. I tried to use the Garmin map software when I first got the Zumo and that was like trying to learn Calculus. Others on the forum talked about something called base camp and that sounded even more complicated.

Why don't they have a program for those of us who are not as computer literate that will allow you to create a map and then hit "Save," to have it load onto the GPS?

Bill

Since you have decided to stay on the U.S. side...the south shore of Lake Superior...I recommend you include Tahquamenon Falls on the eastern side of the UP as part of your trip.

I took my grown daughter on a lighthouse tour a couple years ago on that shoreline. Lots of beautiful and interesting sights. I started taking my daughters on trips when they were little girls and it continued while my wife watched the grandkids.

Some of the roads into lighthouses and other tourist stops are not paved. Most of the time the gravel is well packed. If they have recently graded the roads there can be some soft spots to watch for.

In the summer, Munising, Michigan will have a tent pitched near the water where there are musicians and other performers featured...small venue.

If you have time, do the boat tour of the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore...beautiful and interesting.

Be sure to eat some pasty's (a pastry meat pie the miners used to take deep into the earth in their lunch bucket).

The Michigan UP is one of my favorite places to ride! :)

Back