Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ride Route Advice - Lake Superior Loop Around Ontario to Duluth, MN

I did the Lake Superior Circle Tour a few years ago. Google it and you will find a web site where you can order a pin/decal/certificate after you complete the journey. It is a 2-dayer from St. Sault Marie to Thunder Bay, on the Canadian side. White River (birth place of Winnie the Pooh) is about half way and has a good motel and restaurant. If you are on the US side, I highly recommend Brown's Fish House in Paradise, MI. I have a route saved on my GPS, but am not at home to check it out. I think it is this one. It worked well for me.

http://www.sundaymorningrides.com/lo...ce/7184472/gps

Lake Superior Loop

Kenn45,

Thanks for the recommendation.

We have resolved to stay on the U.S. side, since the Canadian loop would take us more time and we would not arrive at the BMWMOA Rally on time.

Thanks also for the GPS route, but I am sorry to admit that I don't know how to download it into my Garmin Zumo 550. I can't even get the thing to load all of the U.S. off their map updater. It says I only have enough room for the Eastern U.S., so that's what I have.

Thanks,

Bill
    BMW R1200R
    Alpine White

You should try the Zumo Forums. There is a wealth of information on how to get the most from your GPS, including how to download the map updates to an SD card so you have the whole map available.

Anyway, the US side is beautiful.

http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?action=forum

Gps

OK, I will try it, but I think the only choices I have are to download the maps either to the Zumo or my computer. How do you transfer it to an SD card? Don't you need a separate device to hold the SD card? I don't know if my computer will handle the load of the maps or what the download speed would be.

I hope I can make it work. I tried to use the Garmin map software when I first got the Zumo and that was like trying to learn Calculus. Others on the forum talked about something called base camp and that sounded even more complicated.

Why don't they have a program for those of us who are not as computer literate that will allow you to create a map and then hit "Save," to have it load onto the GPS?

Bill
    BMW R1200R
    Alpine White

Since you have decided to stay on the U.S. side...the south shore of Lake Superior...I recommend you include Tahquamenon Falls on the eastern side of the UP as part of your trip.

I took my grown daughter on a lighthouse tour a couple years ago on that shoreline. Lots of beautiful and interesting sights. I started taking my daughters on trips when they were little girls and it continued while my wife watched the grandkids.

Some of the roads into lighthouses and other tourist stops are not paved. Most of the time the gravel is well packed. If they have recently graded the roads there can be some soft spots to watch for.

In the summer, Munising, Michigan will have a tent pitched near the water where there are musicians and other performers featured...small venue.

If you have time, do the boat tour of the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore...beautiful and interesting.

Be sure to eat some pasty's (a pastry meat pie the miners used to take deep into the earth in their lunch bucket).

The Michigan UP is one of my favorite places to ride!
    George
    R1200RT, K1200RS. Previous K1200LT, R80RT, R100R, R75/5

The Zumo Forum has full instructions on how to download maps to the SD card at this link. http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=12972.0

Also, the Tahquamenon recommended just above is just down the road from Brown's Fish House that I recommended. Also, the road from Grand Marais to Munising is supposed to be great. It is 58 (I think a county road) It was recommended to me last summer, but I ran out of time. It is on the list for the coming year. The Pictured Rocks boat trip is really worth it. There is a light house at Grand Marais. The UP is a great place to ride.

In MN, the Itasca State Park is worth it. It is the source of the Mississippi, and you can walk across on stepping stones. There is also a boat tour to see it from the lake side. I stayed and had dinner at the lodge.

I hope you enjoy the trip.

Pusser's Pyrate Society Zygmund's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fastdogs2 View Post
    I am seeking some advice from riders who have done the loop around Lake Superior from Sault Saint Marie to Duluth, MN. I am considering riding this as a route to get to the rally in Minnesota next year.

How long would this loop take (miles or days riding)?

Thanks
    Copper Harbor, Bayfield, Superior/Duluth, North Shore to Split Rock, hang in Duluth and hit the Aerostich factory.
    Duluth west to Itasca is a sweet ride and you can wiggle your toes in the headwaters. Do some research on the Great River Road from Itasca to St Paul, 35 will bore you.
    The lake region around Itasca is a wonderful area to visit and a A+ ride.
    Take some time to look at a map and check out our state!
    Glad to have you!!

'02 R1150RT

Lake Superior Loop

Zygmund,

Thanks to you and everyone who have made suggestions regarding this trip.

We have decided to cut across Wisconsin from Ironwood, MI and visit the fresh water fishing museum at Hayward, WI on the way to St. Paul, so we won't be going to Duluth. I have purchased many items from Aerostich and enjoy receiving their catalog.

My friends and I are looking forward to another great ride to/from the Rally.

Bill
    BMW R1200R
    Alpine White

Electric Kaiser
    Quote Originally Posted by fastdogs2 View Post
    Zygmund,

Thanks to you and everyone who have made suggestions regarding this trip.

We have decided to cut across Wisconsin from Ironwood, MI and visit the fresh water fishing museum at Hayward, WI on the way to St. Paul, so we won't be going to Duluth. I have purchased many items from Aerostich and enjoy receiving their catalog.

My friends and I are looking forward to another great ride to/from the Rally.

Bill
    You will love riding through the North Woods from Ironwood.
    Stay on Letter roads preferably double letter such as B / FF I would suggest a stop for a refresh before you get to Hayward at the Garmish Resort in Cable. Its on your way and a great place to stop for lunch or just a pit stop. Its a little bit of the Old World tucked in the North woods.
    http://garmischresort.com/index.php

Its nice talking about riding when the snow if flying outside. Have to plan trailering to AZ this winter.