• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

"Worn throttlebodies" - 2002 R1150RTP

OfficerImpersonator

Seattle-area Rounder
Yesterday I took my 2002 R1150RTP in for her 84,000 mile service.

When I picked up the bike, the mechanic filling in for my regular mechanic provided me with a list of items soon needing attention, including the notation "throttlebodies VERY worn".

I've never heard of throttlebodies "wearing out", and a search of the Oilhead forum for "throttlebodies" and "throttle bodies" produces no relevant results. Do throttlebodies wear out over time/miles?

If the phenomena is real, and your bike had worn throttlebodies, would you insist on new parts, or would you accept used throttlebodies as replacements? New throttlebodies go for $1000 for the pair, while beemerboneyard.com has one pair available for $195 and another pair for $245.

Thoughts?

Yes they do!

You have a few options....
Replacing new...
Replacing with used
or
Re building them with a kit from Bing

That is the way I went. Bing will rebuild them for you also, but at a cost.
Ed

Like said, the throttle body itself does not wear out, but the throttle butterfly shaft does, as does the bushings. I rebuilt both original throttle bodies on ym 94 RS at about 150,000 miles. I did the work myself using the Bing TB rebuild kit.

But it does require you balance the TB's after the rebuild and installation. Most often the cause of the TB shaft wear is throttle cables setup with no slack in them at idle.

No need to replace the entire TB. Also, buying used TB's means the replacements may be just as worn as the originals, depending on the miles on the engine.

I bought 2 of Dan Cata's kits. cost jsut a tad more than one kit from Bing. Have yet to install, so no feeback on the kit itself, but he's an easy guy to do business with.

Back