• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Dual exhaust on K100

mwieck

This past Saturday, I went to an auction and on of the items was a 1988 K100 S(I think it was an S). It had the 22l trunk and side cases. Under each case was a conical shaped muffler similar to what might be on an airhead. It looked really nice from the back. The pipes split right after the header and one pipe went to the right side. This part looked kind of cobbled and appeared to interfere with the center stand. It did sound really good when it was running. Did any company manufacture this or was it a homemade item? It brought $1500, about what it was worth. The Cushman Silver Eagle next to it brought $4000.

Luftmeister supposedly made a 4-2 for the K100/K1. I have looked for the elusive part for years, never saw one. I don't know if the muffler were on either side or whether the two end tubes were both on the left.

Inquiring minds want to know! I was informed by JRW of Lubbock, Texas that Ray Randolph of Lubbock who made the large fuel tanks for the K bikes also made the dual exhaust system. This sounds very feasible since the auction site was about 60 miles from Lubbock. The system looked like it was probably made in limited numbers by hand in a small shop. The Y pipe (or more accurately the T pipe ) was functional but the chromed mufflers on each side was good looking and really did sound good.

Yes Bikerfish, I checked the sale bill and it was listed as an RS.

Back