• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Beware of "The Dragon" this weekend

That stinks, wife and I are headed to NC as I type this. I have no plans to ride the GAP, but I am afraid that if others avoid i, they may show up on the good roads in the area.

I like the GAP, not to ride, but like that bug zapper, it keeps all the riff raff and LEO in one place, so they don't bother me.

Worry less, they do this every once in a while.
There are far too many miles of roads for anyone to put high level coverage on all of them. Just play on the NC side and 30 miles away or more..
What's funny is that they're wasting all this leo effort on a Harley bunch- generally those guys are the snails on the Dragon and the way they get hurt is grounding a footboard. Its the squids that are real jerks there.
The accidents there rarely relate to drinking and with only 1 fatal so far this year are killing way fewer than the average of previous years.

Worry less, they do this every once in a while.
There are far too many miles of roads for anyone to put high level coverage on all of them. Just play on the NC side and 30 miles away or more..
What's funny is that they're wasting all this leo effort on a Harley bunch- generally those guys are the snails on the Dragon and the way they get hurt is grounding a footboard. Its the squids that are real jerks there.
The accidents there rarely relate to drinking and with only 1 fatal so far this year are killing way fewer than the average of previous years.

What he said!!! Those rolling road blocks will saturate the area making most foolishness extremely hard to do.

Why the best advice for riding the Dragon is ride it during the week. Simple.

Best advice is ride the the store and get the tee shirt, then go ride the real twisty roads, if that is what you like.
GAP has 220 turns at best, I am in the Carolina's as I type, and in 180 miles yesterday, bet I rode 4000 corners.

Best advice is ride the the store and get the tee shirt, then go ride the real twisty roads, if that is what you like.
GAP has 220 turns at best, I am in the Carolina's as I type, and in 180 miles yesterday, bet I rode 4000 corners.

I agree. The Dragon is something to do so you can say you did it. I made the trip and was terribly disappointed because I live within minutes of better roads where there is little traffic and few LEOs. The roads near where VA, NC and TN meet are all good rides as are the roads near where VA, KY and WV meet. It's nice to just pick a direction and have good riding with no destination in mind. a group of us (4-7)try to meet for breakfast weekly and ride 150-300 miles on crooked mountain roads and get home by supper. There are advantages to being retired.

{Authorities expect to have a sobriety checkpoint established on U.S. Highway 129 on Saturday.}

Seems to me that intoxicated drivers are not much of a problem on this road. I wonder if their accident & arrest statistics justify this hefty expenditure? The good taxpayers of Tennessee should keep an eye on whether their money is being well spent here. Many riders stay away for a brief pre-announced period of time & then return..lot's accomplished by that.
Not to minimize the craziness that the area has a reputation for, but I'll bet that many urban areas would be a much wiser place to perform this activity. Sobriety checkpoints with Drivers, warrant and vehicle license checks along with the "driver sniff" should definitely tie up traffic and discourage anyone from the road.

Back