Thread: Beware of "The Dragon" this weekend

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.

Beware of "The Dragon" this weekend

'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    That stinks, wife and I are headed to NC as I type this. I have no plans to ride the GAP, but I am afraid that if others avoid i, they may show up on the good roads in the area.

I like the GAP, not to ride, but like that bug zapper, it keeps all the riff raff and LEO in one place, so they don't bother me.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Worry less, they do this every once in a while.
    There are far too many miles of roads for anyone to put high level coverage on all of them. Just play on the NC side and 30 miles away or more..
    What's funny is that they're wasting all this leo effort on a Harley bunch- generally those guys are the snails on the Dragon and the way they get hurt is grounding a footboard. Its the squids that are real jerks there.
    The accidents there rarely relate to drinking and with only 1 fatal so far this year are killing way fewer than the average of previous years.

Quote Originally Posted by racer7 View Post
    Worry less, they do this every once in a while.
    There are far too many miles of roads for anyone to put high level coverage on all of them. Just play on the NC side and 30 miles away or more..
    What's funny is that they're wasting all this leo effort on a Harley bunch- generally those guys are the snails on the Dragon and the way they get hurt is grounding a footboard. Its the squids that are real jerks there.
    The accidents there rarely relate to drinking and with only 1 fatal so far this year are killing way fewer than the average of previous years.
    What he said!!! Those rolling road blocks will saturate the area making most foolishness extremely hard to do.
    Old But Not Dead
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    ...it keeps all the riff raff and LEO in one place...
    It's fun looking at them on Killroy Failure Dragon Fest on ADVrider.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Why the best advice for riding the Dragon is ride it during the week. Simple.

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by RTRANDY View Post
    Why the best advice for riding the Dragon is ride it during the week. Simple.
    Best advice is ride the the store and get the tee shirt, then go ride the real twisty roads, if that is what you like.
    GAP has 220 turns at best, I am in the Carolina's as I type, and in 180 miles yesterday, bet I rode 4000 corners.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    Best advice is ride the the store and get the tee shirt, then go ride the real twisty roads, if that is what you like.
    GAP has 220 turns at best, I am in the Carolina's as I type, and in 180 miles yesterday, bet I rode 4000 corners.
    I agree. The Dragon is something to do so you can say you did it. I made the trip and was terribly disappointed because I live within minutes of better roads where there is little traffic and few LEOs. The roads near where VA, NC and TN meet are all good rides as are the roads near where VA, KY and WV meet. It's nice to just pick a direction and have good riding with no destination in mind. a group of us (4-7)try to meet for breakfast weekly and ride 150-300 miles on crooked mountain roads and get home by supper. There are advantages to being retired.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

{Authorities expect to have a sobriety checkpoint established on U.S. Highway 129 on Saturday.}

Seems to me that intoxicated drivers are not much of a problem on this road. I wonder if their accident & arrest statistics justify this hefty expenditure? The good taxpayers of Tennessee should keep an eye on whether their money is being well spent here. Many riders stay away for a brief pre-announced period of time & then return..lot's accomplished by that.
    Not to minimize the craziness that the area has a reputation for, but I'll bet that many urban areas would be a much wiser place to perform this activity. Sobriety checkpoints with Drivers, warrant and vehicle license checks along with the "driver sniff" should definitely tie up traffic and discourage anyone from the road.