• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1100RT missing "R1100" decals

Anyone know if all 1100's came from the factory with the "1100" decal on the front fairing? Mine is a 96 and doesn't have one one either side. Can they be bought? Anyone had to re-apply them? I am assuming they are stickers, but maybe they are decals or something else. Is this a tricky job to get them looking like they came from the factory? Sometimes applying stickers can become a mess. It might not be worth the trouble. I kind of like the way they look, and if I ever sell the bike, everyone will think it was repainted. Which I don't think is the case with mine. Thanks.

That's funny, I have been thinking about removing mine! I think they look like 'stickers' that were just stuck on there for random decoration. To each his own. :dance

Anyone know if all 1100's came from the factory with the "1100" decal on the front fairing? Mine is a 96 and doesn't have one one either side. Can they be bought? Anyone had to re-apply them? I am assuming they are stickers, but maybe they are decals or something else. Is this a tricky job to get them looking like they came from the factory? Sometimes applying stickers can become a mess. It might not be worth the trouble. I kind of like the way they look, and if I ever sell the bike, everyone will think it was repainted. Which I don't think is the case with mine. Thanks.

Here are stickers from Max's online fiche:

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51680&rnd=04302013

There are a couple difference stickers in section #46.... 50 bucks.....

That's funny, I have been thinking about removing mine! I think they look like 'stickers' that were just stuck on there for random decoration. To each his own. :dance

I removed mine in short order when I got my R1100RT. Just hideous.

I used a heat gun on low, carefully, and a new (for the sharp edge) plastic paint scraper to lift a corner. Once I had enough to grab, gentle heat and slow pulling did the trick.

To the OP - I'll make you a pair for half BMW's price. Just send me $50 and I'll bust out the scotch tape and crayons.

I saw a very nice RS today

It sure is a preference thing. I took mine mine off my RT as they looked "odd". But I saw an RS today, it looked awesome and the decals made it look like a bike with "class".

When I had the plastic repainted, I decided not to replace the decals. They didn't seem to add anything to the bike and the cost was, well,.....high.

When I bought my RSL, someone had painted hideous flames outlined with blue barbed wire on every panel of the bike.
Needless to say I repainted it, but masked over the decals on the lower fairing. then sanded down the "edges" created by the masking tape until smooth.
Then clear coated over the new paint and the decals.

Now you can not see the outline of the decals, and IMHO it looks great.

ken

When I bought my RSL, someone had painted hideous flames outlined with blue barbed wire on every panel of the bike.
Needless to say I repainted it, but masked over the decals on the lower fairing. then sanded down the "edges" created by the masking tape until smooth.
Then clear coated over the new paint and the decals.

Now you can not see the outline of the decals, and IMHO it looks great.

ken

you got a problem with flames?

to keep on topic- no R1100 decals on it when I bought my bike, no decals now. it was/is mostly "meh" to me.

Your bike looks awesome.
You've posted it before. Those flames are subtle and could be considered pinstriping.

I do have a problem with flames painted on vehicles though.

you got a problem with flames?

to keep on topic- no R1100 decals on it when I bought my bike, no decals now. it was/is mostly "meh" to me.

I was admiring the carbon fiber and anodizing on this bike at Salem but did not know who the owner was. It's funny how we all post stuff here and probably walk right by each other in person at the rallies. :p
We should set up a forum dudes hook up at the National sometime.

Back