• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2012 R1200GS "Burnt Oil Smell"

Paul,

It's not as easy to remove the intake tubes on the hexhead/camhead engines as on oilhead engines. Instead of screw clamps BMW used a type of reusable CV joint clamp that requires a special tool to remove and replace it. I found one of the tools on Amazon for about $15 or so.. it's made by Lisle (same one the BMW dealer had actually.)

The rubber tubes - unlike the oilhead tubes - do not extend into the airbox, there is a tube cast into the airbox that it connects to.

It is quite possible he has some oil in the airbox. Unlike earlier bikes, there is no oil drain in the airbox. I suspect BMW thought the crankcase vent would suffice for that purpose.. it comes off the left (port) forward corner of the airbox and goes straight down to the left side cylinder head. But - I have seen oil buildup in the airbox if the engine is overfilled. The bottom of these airboxes is molded to closely match the contours of the transmission.. meaning there are hills and valleys in the bottom. The valleys can fill with oil which won't drain back unless you lay the bike on it's side. I had what appeared to be a transmission output seal leak on my bike - that ended up being oil seeping out of the airbox and running back along the top of the transmission, dripping eventually down on the forward edge of the front swingarm boot. Sopping up the oil with a rag on a stick through the air-filter opening "cured" the leak.

It's possible his is leaking/seeping at some other airbox joint that isn't really visible and eventually ending up down on the exhaust. I'd suggest that he find someone with a borescope and take a good look at the inside/bottom of the airbox. That's how I found the oil in mine (Harbor Freight borescope works just great for this sort of thing.. bought it for the Porsche, used it for lots of other things now.. was on sale for $89.)

Don,

thanks for the input. I'll locate a borescope and follow up on your suggestion.

Update on "burned oil smell"

9,5k miles, still no oil consumption to speak off, the GS runs great.

Alas, finally obvious signs of oil, located on the right side, on the black plastic breather box, where the upper and lower plastic pieces come together. Not a lot but sufficient to reflect spotting on other areas to the rear.

Returned the GS to the dealer, they took the snorkels off from the plastic breather and cleaned the inside as best they could, finding engine oil! They suggested an oil change going back to 20/50 dino oil that was originally used. Indicating the thicker oil would aid in getting the rings to seat???? Earlier they suggested going to 10/50 semi synthetic, which was BMW new recommendation. The new semi synthetic oil was used at the 3k oil change, and again at 6k. The service manager stated, it was not unusual for BMW motors taking upwards to 18k miles to get the rings to seat????

After the oil and filter changed at the dealer and driving home some 75 miles home, I detected engine oil coming from the two plastic air box pieces.

Your thoughts please on:

Why the engine oil is flowing into breather box (note: oil level has been and is currently at 1/2 to 2/3 up the sight glass, it is not and has not been over filled)

What is causing the engine oil to bypass into the breather box

Does it really take upwards to 18k mikes to seat the rings, trust me when I say, I use the full range of rpm's.

Serious input is most welcome.

Thanks

This may sound stupid, but I will throw it out there.

I try to be very careful when I drain my trans oil. Many times some oil seems to find it's way onto the center stand springs anyway. I try wiping most of it off, but in the past I have experienced the burn oil smell and it turned out it was a bit of oil seeping out of one of the springs and onto the exhaust. May be a longshot, but thought I would put it out there.

30k on my Gs and last oil change is the first time I noticed oil smell:

May just be a coincedence but last time I went to dealer for 15w50 BMW oil when I got ready to change I discovered it was actually semi synthetic Castrol not synthetic Spectro oil in that BMW bottle. Since I changed oil I have noticed a slight odor I never had before. I am switching to Mobil1 20w50 full synthetic and will make close examination to see if there is a seep anywhere. If there is it is not obvious.

May just be a coincedence but last time I went to dealer for 15w50 BMW oil when I got ready to change I discovered it was actually semi synthetic Castrol not synthetic Spectro oil in that BMW bottle. Since I changed oil I have noticed a slight odor I never had before. I am switching to Mobil1 20w50 full synthetic and will make close examination to see if there is a seep anywhere. If there is it is not obvious.

Mine appeared right after the dealer switched the weight of oil. With the oil weeping out of the mating surfaces of the breather box on the right side, not sure why. The dealer called me and advised they are ordering a new air breather box system. I still don't why the oil is ending up in the breather box, I hope it was something simple like the dealer over filled the engine oil prior to my ownership, and the pooling of oil in air box just worked it ways out of the upper/lower seam in the air box. With a new air box being ordered, installed, and oil free, maybe my problem will go away, I hope.

I'll keep my findings posted.

Your thoughts please on:

Why the engine oil is flowing into breather box (note: oil level has been and is currently at 1/2 to 2/3 up the sight glass, it is not and has not been over filled)

The crankcase breather from the port side cylinder (at least on the early hexheads) leads directly to the airbox. If there is a lot of oil vapor floating around in the engine, or any blowby on the rings (from not being fully seated) it will tend to blow the vapor into the airbox where it condenses and falls to the bottom. The bottom isn't a simple flat surface, it's fully of valleys and ridges so it fits snuggly on the top of the transmission, meaning a considerable amount of oil can accumulate there.

What is causing the engine oil to bypass into the breather box

See above..

Does it really take upwards to 18k mikes to seat the rings, trust me when I say, I use the full range of rpm's.

It can. Mine didn't. Mine seated at about 3,000 miles after taking a nice mountain ride for 3 days to the first RA in Asheville rally. Doing steep downhills in 2nd gear using engine braking seemed to do the trick. It pretty much stopped using any oil after that trip. My suggestion is take 3 days riding in West Virginia.. it's a dirty job but someone's gotta do it (didn't notice where you're located, but if it's Kansas - you're SOL.. :)

Serious input is most welcome.

Thanks

Michigan.

The dealer has ordered a new breather box, so I'm curious what the inside of the OEM looks like. I've have never needed to add oil between changes, oil level drops minimally.

Thanks for you feedback.

The dealers's thoughts that the rings haven't yet seated, suggested draining the synthetic oil that BMW now recommends and refill with Dino 20/50, which was done with a new filter and refilled up to half the sight glass.

Follow up: The dealer installed the breather box, it took nearly 8 hours to complete. Had to split the bike to gain access. The original breather box as noted by Don E. lots of nooks and crannies that contained various amounts of oil that pooled there. Absent removing the box, you would never be able to remove all the deposits of oil. Once removed exposing the rear of the engine and top of tranny, ZERO sign of any oil. So I'm a bit bewildered why the "burnt" oil smell, unless the the heat of the engine/tranny affected the pooled oil in the breather box?????

So for now I continue the journey, I'll keep this forum posted as to whether the switch makes any difference.

Thanks to all.

Cordially,

i have found that i get the burnt oil smell when i spill oil or gearbox lube on the exhaust....in particular the collector near the gearbox drain.....there is a strap hanger that wraps around the collector that is difficult to get any spilled lube out of.....takes a while for it to dissipate....

just my 2 cents worth from my sandbox....

wyman

Back