• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

91 K75s wider bars

plehman

Anyone ever experiment with wider bars on a K75? I spent a 1000 miles on a new GS (not my own), came home and found my old K75 felt really funny. That's odd since I have so many more miles on it than a GS.

I have a feeling it will be a real pain to widen (bars, cables, etc.), but it could give more control and leverage.

Any thoughts?

It can be done. Lots of folks have transplanted BMW K75C bars without issues. But other transplants require new wiring for the controls, new custom or mismatched cables, and new brake lines. Wider bars may also have clearance issues with the fairing or windshield.

C-bars

The K75 C bars have been the upgrade standard for K100RS. Flatter, wider and about 1 1/2 " higher and further back. I didn't have to change anything on my '89 K100RS to make them fit other than the angle of the banjo fitting on the master cylinder, just loosened enough to turn it.
Tip: slide the control assemblies onto the bar before you bolt it on.

Also consider the K100 Standard bars - I believe similar rise and setback of the K75C bar, but a little bit wider. I put them (along with the heated grip kit which included the bar, NLA unfortunately) on both my K75S and my K1100RS and it made a world of difference.

I started with RT bars then moved to C bars and eventually S bars.

The RT setup uses the longer clutch, throttle and TPS cables while the C and S bars share the shorter clutch, throttle and TPS cables.

I've never had to change any electrical cables when switching bars.

I bet the longer RT versions of the cables would work best with wider bars.

If you can find them, how about bars from a K1? It is my understanding that they are still low like the "S" bars, but wider. It seems to me that would be the best of both worlds.

It can be done. Lots of folks have transplanted BMW K75C bars without issues. But other transplants require new wiring for the controls, new custom or mismatched cables, and new brake lines. Wider bars may also have clearance issues with the fairing or windshield.

+1 Mine is an "S" model - I'm going to an "S" bar, possibly with my handlebar risers as I've got a Parabellum and the C's hit the windshield when trying to make a tight turn - not safe!

Ken,

I would suggest that you PM plehman and see about working out a trade. REMEMBER, no negotiating on the forum. PM only.

Just be sure to go through the differences in the dash pad and the master cylinder brake hose.

:dance:dance:dance

Back