• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Need Help! Vario panniers will not expand on my 2005 r1200gs.

espressoforyou

I am having trouble trying to expand my Vario panniers. I have not tried to expand them in a long while and when I try to expand them the lever will not provide enough force to make them expand. I hear a popping noise if I keep pressing on the lever so I stop pushing. I did double check to make sure that they are not already expanded.

Any idea how to get them working properly? Not sure what the popping noise is. It looks like the plastic covering the gears and cam is wanting to push outward when I apply pressure.

I am about to put them on ebay and want to get them working properly before I list them. There is no obvious damage to the cases, they still look new so I am not sure what is causing the problem

Thanks for your help.

Thanks to WD40 the Vario panniers are working fine.

Do you know of any better solution that WD40 to put on the vario panniers to keep the rubber gasket from sticking?

I will be posting the two panniers for sale on the MOA flea market later this week. The two side cases are in excellent condition, just a couple of small scratches. I have all the mounting hardware also. The Vairo top case has some dents in the aluminum on one edge where I dropped the bike on a rocky trail. I also have the all the top case mounting hardware for sale. The panniers where NOT on the bike at the time of the drop so they are not damaged.

One BMW key will be included in the sale.

Obviously I'm late chiming in but my suggestion was going to be WD40. It's worked for me!

Back