• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1100rs Front Fender Melting

skotlyc

Any of you out there have the problem of your front fender melting from the exhaust heat? Is this normal?

I don't see how that can happen unless you are letting the bike run while standing still for extended periods of time. I have never seen that, although I have seen scorched lower fairings on RTs and RSLs.

Are you warming the bike up before you ride? Don't.

Nope... Dont warm the bike up. Fire it up and start riding immediately. It was bubbled when I got it, but I'm pretty sure Its gotten worse.

Post a pic. Seems to me the stock fender (rear half) is short enough that this shouldn't happen. You might have a different part installed.

+1 on the photo request.

If the engine is misfiring, the charge could burn in the exhaust header, possibly? Is something wrong with the exhaust valve timing? How about a hole in the exhaust header or gasket allowing exhaust air to stream toward the fender.

I'd say too lean a mixture but the highest exhaust temperature occurs at the stock mixtures.

Nope... Dont warm the bike up. Fire it up and start riding immediately. It was bubbled when I got it, but I'm pretty sure Its gotten worse.

How about this thought. The prior owner idled it for long periods and the plastic has bubbled toward the exhaust headers enough that they are too close. Or the material was damaged from prolonged idle and is now more susceptible.

When I got my RT it had been idled enough to deform the plastic slightly around the cylinder heads. That set up internal stresses that allowed the inner attachment to fracture by the base of the cylinder head.

I've noticed that even after a couple minutes the effect of radiated heat is quite noticeable.

I have a fender extender that was added to my RSL. It has deformed slightly from heat, but I"m pretty sure it has happened doing throttle-body sync's.

I straightned it with a heat gun.

Ken

I have had a fender extension on my 94RS since day one. Never melted or deformed from heat, including sitting in Chicago freeway traffic. Still riding the same bike now and no melted fender issue.

I also never "warm up" my RS, haven't since day one in Oct 94. Bike is not even started until I am sitting on it ready to go. I may on ocassion start it while seated on it, then pull my gloves on, and go. But no need whatsoever for any extended warmup.

Back