• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GS Kills another

It's partly an age thing

Early in my riding experience, I rode a lot of tall bikes without a great deal of problem even with my short inseam. However, as I have gotten older, weaker and less stable, I don't do as well. It's harder to keep a tall bike upright when it gets unbalanced now and it hurts more when I try to keep it from tipping over and I strain something. What was easy in my 20s is more difficult in my 60s. For me, Medicare and a lower seat go together.

........... I bought my GS to run 2 lane, asphalt twisties. Dual Sport? Hell NO! One sport. Why, because it handles great, don't believe me??? Try and chase one. ..........

Absolutely, take a rider off even a R11/12S or any of the K's and on a tight twisty road he will be as fast as ke was on those. Let him get a few miles and get comfortable and he will be faster. They are SO easy to hustle through the tight corners, they immediately raise your confidence, and you ride faster.

Absolutely, take a rider off even a R11/12S or any of the K's and on a tight twisty road he will be as fast as ke was on those. Let him get a few miles and get comfortable and he will be faster. They are SO easy to hustle through the tight corners, they immediately raise your confidence, and you ride faster.

I fortunately found an 03 R1150R that I could afford a couple months back, coming from an 07 WeeStrom and 03 KLR. I have not ridden a GS, but the R is extremely better handling than those dual sports. If I wanted a more off-roadable bike would the GS be much of an improvement over the R on pavement?

I did the Black Hills a few weeks ago and learned so much about riding with the R on the Needles highway... I can't wait to get back!

I never could get comfortable with the Wees top-heaviness at low speed and parking it etc. Is the GS more top heavy like the wee?

Price

A friend just bought a Yamaha Super T after test riding the new GS. He could not justify the $5000 additional price for a bike with similar add ons. I ride a GSA and really like it but I was impressed after riding the Super T.

A GS is a very sneaky bike. You can take turns effortlessly on a GS that were sphincter tighteners on other bikes. It IS different, and takes some getting used to. If you just jump on one and take a short spin, you probably won't appreciate just how good it is.

My local Yamaha dealer, as well as the rest of the US dealers, all received this letter yesterday. I'm a loyal BMW GS Owner/Rider, but the Super Tenere certainly isn't going away!

September 10, 2013

Dear Yamaha Motorcycle Dealer,

The 2014 model year Super Tenere will be introduced in March 2014.

Dealer order allocations for the 2014 Super Tenere will be based on each dealer's retail sales of 2012 and 2013 Super Tenere models.

We hope this information helps you better plan your current and future retail business plans.

Sincerely,

Dennis McNeal
Motorcycle Operations
Motorsports Group Company

My local Yamaha dealer, as well as the rest of the US dealers, all received this letter yesterday. I'm a loyal BMW GS Owner/Rider, but the Super Tenere certainly isn't going away!

Good, now... if we can only get Honda to bring its Crosstourer in.... *with* the aluminum frame.... :nod

honda-crosstourer.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I couldn't find anywhere where the Tenere was being cancelled.

But to get to the meat of this thread. My F800GS is very light and when I pass Harleys and Goldwings in the mountains, I keep thinking it is way too easy. I have a Yacugar shock and front fork springs that have raised the seat height to 36". I can barely flat foot it even though I am 6'2".

But I am lucky to have a K1600GT too. On a well paved or a twisty road, it easily outclasses the F800GS. Much more nimble past 45 mph, and I won't even mention the acceleration. The 21" wheel that makes the F800 great and stable on unpaved sections really resists turning on paved roads, at least compared to the K1600GT. In a twisty road race, the K1600GT would greatly outhandle the GS and leave it far behind. In city traffic though, the big bike is a whale, the F800 is superior. The GS is also more fun.

I can flatfoot a GSA easily, but then my inseam is 36." I'm 6'4."

I sometimes envy short riders because their rides are always roomy. There are a lot of short long-distance riders.

I have a major problem finding a bike that gives me sufficient legroom. My '03 RT with seat jacked up is okay. Some sort of GS may be my next bike.

Harry

I sometimes envy short riders because their rides are always roomy. There are a lot of short long-distance riders.

I have a major problem finding a bike that gives me sufficient legroom. My '03 RT with seat jacked up is okay. Some sort of GS may be my next bike.

Harry

If you had a short inseam like many of us, you wouldn't like it long. Most of the bikes I want are taller than I am comfortable with. BMW doesn't make a bike that fits me since the C was discontinued.

Harry

Harry, I am 6'2" and change, and although my inseam is a little less than yours, I moved to a GS in 2004 because it was the only bike I could find that provided reasonably roomy ergonomics. You should really try one. Especially with a set of lowered pegs and a higher seat, it might be just the thing for you. Of course, it will not provide the cocoon of still air that an RT would, but is still a pretty decent touring rig, IMO.

Back