• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

'89 k100rs

macstudley

Ambassador since 1984
I have a friend that is a MOA member but doesn't have a computer who has a question. He is the original owner and has talked to his dealer in Tucson about replacing all coolant hoses, radiator, and other coolant components as a preventive measure because of the age of the bike. The dealer told him that there's no reason to replace anything at this time. There are less than 30,000 miles on the bike.

Is the dealer giving him the right advice or should he replace some of the components?

My '86 K (186,000 mi) still has all the original hoses, radiator. etc. Fairly regular coolant changes, the hoses seem to last forever, if they're not cracking they're probably good. I have replaced the fuel lines and the crankcase vent.

My '86 K (186,000 mi) still has all the original hoses, radiator. etc. Fairly regular coolant changes, the hoses seem to last forever, if they're not cracking they're probably good. I have replaced the fuel lines and the crankcase vent.

Thanks, it sounds like his dealer is right.

Hey Guys

I had a 85K100rs from 1986-2002. It had 230k miles on it when I reluctantly sold it. I never replace the water hoses(they were in great shape), I did replace the fuel hoses. There was one time I was leaving the Falling Leaf rally on Sunday and smell fuel and notice that I was leaking fuel from one of my fuel lines. I saw 87K100rt burn up and heard of other K bikes catching fire.

About the only hose in the coolant system that goes bad is the one that goes to the coolant reservoir. Cheap & easy to replace.

I told my friend that if he were to replace anything to replace the fuel hoses which he had already done.

Have him check the crankcase vent hose for ANY cracks. Those hoses crack often (every few years) and when they do, they allow unmetered air into the intake causing the engine to run lean (a good way to burn exhaust valves).

:dance:dance:dance

Back