• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

iPhone video mounted camera

deineder

After completing the Oregon Dash thru the scenic beauty of the Rockies including twisties like the Beartooth Pass in July, I realized the value of a mounted video camera. Since I also need a smartphone, I am considering combining the two functions. So who can advise me about mounting say an iPhone on an 08 RT? Or please point me to a link previously posted. Thanks

Lots of folks use GoPro cameras. They have a rather wide angle lens that really helps keep the video smooth vertically.

I don't know how wide the phone lens is - could make quite a difference.

Google the GoPro forum for lots of mounting info and some actual motorcycle video.

I too did a Western trip without a video camera mounted. Guess i'll just have to ride 4000km back! :dance

After completing the Oregon Dash thru the scenic beauty of the Rockies including twisties like the Beartooth Pass in July, I realized the value of a mounted video camera. Since I also need a smartphone, I am considering combining the two functions. So who can advise me about mounting say an iPhone on an 08 RT? Or please point me to a link previously posted. Thanks

Where and how you mount the camera makes a big difference in video quality. Roughly speaking, a helmet or body mount is best, rear of the bike is OK, and most spots on the front of the bike get you lots of video jitter. At least that is my experience. Doesn't help when you're trying to record a GS on rough dirt roads. Example... in this video the front camera was mounted on the light bar, the rear mounted on my panniers. Notice the strong vibration induced jitter on the front view. It's better when the bike is moving, but still pretty bad.

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="640" height="360" src="http://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/2743347938_Njm8NVp?width=640&height=360&albumId=14428225&albumKey=VRMXBx"></iframe>

Either camera (one was a Drift, the other a Contour) could have been replaced with an iPhone in something like an otter box, but then how are you going to control on/off? A way to turn the camera on/off at parts that you think might be interesting is needed. You won't have enough battery or memory to keep the camera constantly rolling. Even with turning record on/off you will still windup with lots more video than you can actually use unless your goal is to bore viewers to sleep -- I've been (rightly) accused of that more than once.

Video uses LOTS of memory. A device with removable media is almost necessary. Unless an hour or two of video is all you need before downloading to a laptop so you can start again.

I have recorded with both the gopro and the Iphone. I used the Iphone on my ram mount where I usually have my GPS. The video was vibrating pretty bad and the mic pics up a lot of sound. I only used it for very short vids at low speeds out of conv, I would not use the phone for more than a little while because of memory. I used the Go Pro mounted on Helmet and it really is pretty smooth but wind noise is pretty strong at speed and you dont get lean prospective because your head smooths that out also. I also mounted it on front fairing and you get a lot more vibration. I am glad It was on head when we passed a bear momma and cub beside road in TN. I could turn my head and get it on video instead of a black blur.

Back