• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Shelter in addition to my tent

I

ironoxide

I'm new to camping at the event, thus the questions. I have a 15' X 15' shelter (tarp) that I would like to set up in addition to my tent. Is that in poor taste? Is it permitted? I don't want to hog space, but it would be nice to have a bit of shade to retreat to.

There is so much room for camping that I would be really suprised if this was a problem.......................Sounds like a good (shady) idea to me. The forecast is for sunnier skies later this week, but climbing temps, so shade will be nice!

From the maps of the site I have seen, there is plenty of room. Camping space is always 1st come 1st served. Only one of the MOA sites that I have been to would that have been an issue. Besides if it gets that crowded you could take it down. Bad form is Loud noise in the Quiet camping area.

ironoxide said:
I'm new to camping at the event, thus the questions. I have a 15' X 15' shelter (tarp) that I would like to set up in addition to my tent. Is that in poor taste? Is it permitted? I don't want to hog space, but it would be nice to have a bit of shade to retreat to.

I dont not have an official say in this but I bet it would be fine. I can tell you if you have shade, and in the spirit of the event, I would expect to get some guests in the shade with you. If you are ok with that, I would go for it.

Koop

As long as you share your shade, you should be okay. People and clubs have been doing that for a while.

Under the old shade tree....

ironoxide said:
Oxide. . .If you have your October 2004 issue of ON handy, the 2004 Spokane Rally awards issue, check out page 75. I can count at least EIGHT shelter tarps in that mass of campground tents.
It's amazing how many campers come over and ask about your tarp on a really hot day - or when it's pouring rain. Be prepared for company under the tarp on these occasions. I have a 19' MOSS 'ParaWing' and it's a dandy for keeping the sun and rain off the tent. Looks like Lima won't get you any rain this time but you'll be a happy camper out of that HOT sun.
Have a good one! :thumb

That's it

/5 Tourer,

That's my Parawing! I guess MSR bought Moss,no? I'll bring it and enjoy the company!!

Thanks to all, see you there.

ironox,

Ironoxide - you have my very officious and duly authoritative permission to erect a tarp - BUT only if you let me park my butt under it for a bit :D

See you there, Steve

MOSS ParaWing...revisited

ironoxide said:
/5 Tourer,
That's my Parawing! I guess MSR bought Moss,no? I'll bring it and enjoy the company!!
Thanks to all, see you there. ironox,
Ox...yessir, she's a dandee, right? You'll be makin' new friends on campus this weekend if that sun gets to 90 degrees!

And, yeah...MSR bought out MOSS a couple of years ago and that was the end of a good set of tents. My old MOSS is over 15 years old and still going strong! I actually don't care for the MSR stuff so I'll be buying some other brand when it's time to retire my MOSS. If they were still in business, I'd certainly buy another MOSS product. This ParaWing will go for years.

Have a good rally, bud, and let us know how you enjoyed Beemerville when you get back. :wave

Back