• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Member From The Midwest

ellengtrgrl

Hi,

I live in the Milwaukee area, and I'm a returning (to the fold) rider. My last cycle required repairs that cost more than it was worth, so it got sold. Life intruded (didn't have enough money to buy a new motorcycle, or I had nowhere to garage it), and getting a motorcycle got put on the back burner. But, I always told myself that I'd get another one. I've always had an interest in BMWs, ever since I read about them (and saw the few go by that were in my neck of the woods) back in the 80s, when I was a teenage, and 20-something college student riding 250 dual purposes (all I could afford at the time). But they always seemed to be out of reach for me financially. Recently due to increases in my salary at work, the situation changed.

As a result, this past Saturday (yeah, at the height of the Harley 110 Anniversary Celebration! :laugh), I bought a 2004 R1150R at the local BMW dealership! The bike was delivered yesterday after work ( I couldn't ride it home on Saturday, since I went to the dealership in my car), and I took it for an hour plus ride, to get used to how it handles. Today, I used my R1150R, for my commute to and from work (with a few back roads thrown in for the ride home). The bike ran and handled great. LOVE, the torquey engine. Wahoo! I haven't taken a photo of my machine yet, but I'll hopefully ppost one within the next few days.

'Later,
Ellen

Welcome back Ellen!

I love riding in WI. I enjoy attending the Great River Road Rally (GR3) put on by the Madison BMW Club. Great roads and great people. :thumb

Enjoy and ride safe.

Thanks! :) I'm still not at 100% capability-wise, due to the long layoff from riding. But with time, I'll get there. I'd forgotten how cold 52 degrees can even be without gloves. That was the temperature this morning, and my hands were downright cold without gloves! Actually, I should get a pair for riding in general (not just when it's cold outside).

Welcome to the forum Ellen! Good move keeping the M/C lic :p Any questions just ask.
Gary

Welcome~

We always need more Midwestern members here.

Love riding in Wisconsin as I'm a cheesehead by birth. :laugh

Going to the Dells Rally this weekend to see some old friends and meet some new ones. Hope to meet you on the road somewhere.

Welcome, Ellen! Love that you rode against the traffic during Harley Season! :p

Thanks for the welcome people! :)

The ride to work this morning went much better, due to wearing a pair of gloves (I'm at my desk at work, eating a quick breakfast, before I start my workday). About the only downer, was parking related at my apartment building. My apartment building has underground parking (that I have to pay an additional $30/month in rent to have). You can keep a cycle in the same parking spot your car is in, as long as it doesn't stick too far out of the parking space, into where cars drive to get out of the lot. Well, my neighbor (who parks next to me), asked me why I didn't get a separate parking spot for my motorcycle (I told her what I mentioned above). She said, that if I didn't park further in to the wall, she might not have enough room to back out of her spot in one fell swoop have to back out of he spot, and might have to do additional maneuvering to do so. When I left for work this morning, my neighbor had her car in another parking spot (since the spots are assigned by the landlord, I would assume that she requested it). That makes me feel like I'm being a problem for my neighbors, and I don't to be that.

By the same token, I don't get it (please tell me if I'm acting like a jerk), because I typically make 2 or 3 maneuvers when I park (to get my car positioned to my satisfaction - I try to provide exta space between my car and other cars). I've moved my car over further way from my neighbor's car, to provide additional clearance for her, when she backs out of her space. I also pulled my car in further to the parking space (I can't go any closer, or I'll hit the R1150R, which I keep next to the wall, with enough space between my car's bumper, and the bike, so I can pull out the bike). My car is inside of the marked lines. From what I can see, the other tenant who has a motorcycle parked in the underground garage (it's a Yamaha YZF600), leaves more space than me, between his car and his cycle, and his car sticks out further from his parking spot. My car is a Nissan Versa, which isn't a large car. I don't want to cause problems, but by the same token, I don't get what the big deal is.

Maybe I should take the panniers off, to see if it slims things spacewise.

My cycle (this is the dealer's photo, from where I bought the bike):

My2004BMWR1150R_zpsae382ff9.jpg

Ask the grumpy neighbor if they would like a ride on the bike and then take them by something scenic.
OM

Ellen, three things:
1. Welcome to BMW MOA forum! Great place to snoop around and read some good info.
2. Riding w/o gloves!???? Hope you had ALL the other gear on. Don't ever do that again, too many people love you.
3. Regarding the grumpy neighbor ... some people simply like to have something to complain about, so give her the benefit of the doubt that perhaps she was having a bad day. As long as you were inside the assigned parking space lines, you were obeying the rules and have nothing to feel guilty about. Try and have a non-threatening chat with her and talk the issue out. But if she wants to move to another spot, that's her choice.

I always wear a helmet, and I wore gloves today. As for my neighbor's parking spot - we didn't exchange any cross words (she stated that she wasn't complaining). I usually get along with her pretty well. I told my co-workers about the issue, and they said to just let it slide. Oh well.

I agree on the neighbor.

Many of us here are ATGATT (All The Gear, All The Time) and the very best argument that I have ever seen is this website.

http://www.rockthegear.org/index.php?/testimonials/view/brittany_morrow_the_roadrash_queen/

On hot, humid, mid-western summer days, it's a bitch to put it on. But we only get one set of skin so I figure I will dress for the crash I hope I never have than wish I had after I crashed.

Great looking bike.

Thanks for the compliment. And yes, after the reminder from you guys, I went back to doing ATGATT (In retrospect, I pretty much practiced that principle 100% of the time when I last rode). :) I've never gotten road rash, and I'm not about to experience it. When funds allow, I'll get some better (as in more breathable) gear, to replace the heavy jacket and gloves I'm using at the present time. I always wear a helmet (I feel naked without one - mine's a full face). It never ceases to amaze me/creep me out, when I see all of the squids, out on their GSXRs, and CBRs - with no helmets, and in some cases wearing shorts, and just a T-shirt (or no shirt in some cases!), cutting in and out of lanes at 70-80 mph on the freeway! Yeesh! It's an accident waiting to happen!

I wish I could go riding today, but it's been raining off and on for most of the day, and I don't care for riding in the rain, unless I have to. :( I need to find an owner's manual, or a service manual for my bike (it came without either of the two), so I'll know when I have to do service work. Oh well, maybe I'll get lost in a book, or play some guitar (the "gtrgrl" in my username, stands for "guitar girl" - I've been playing guitar for 34 years [of which some of that time was spent being the lead guitarist in rock bands]).

On a rainy & humid day (although the rain has stopped for now),
Ellen

Keep on Riding

Last edited:
Welcome to BMW's and to the BMWMOA.

Nice bike.

I am ATGATT always, even if I go around the block. I like my life and everything working the way it is, so I don't chance it - ever!

I know many people are not, and quite frankly I don't get it. To ride costs money, to be safe costs a little more, but way cheaper and less pain than the alternative.

I am going to do a post on gear, in the gear section of my BMW gear and some new stuff I got. So, if you want to read some personal thoughts on stuff/reviews, take a look there. The thread may create a few comments, or not. We'll see.

Enjoy your ride, be safe.

Neil

Ellen,
I think I may have an extra oil filter wrench in my garage if you're interested. That's about all the service I know how to do but changing your own oil can save you some bucks.
I'm just straight west of you in Oconomowoc.
Sharon

Welcome to the madness we call the BMW family. If you need some help, Sharon knows where to find me. I'd be happy to show you around your bike, maybe get your hands just a little dirty while learning about it.

Ellen,
I think I may have an extra oil filter wrench in my garage if you're interested. That's about all the service I know how to do but changing your own oil can save you some bucks.
I'm just straight west of you in Oconomowoc.
Sharon

Hi Sharon,

Yep, I know where Oconomowoc is. I'm just 2 miles east of the Waukesha County line (just off of '894), and you're close to the Jefferson County Line side of the county. Thanks for the offer. :) I have about 2500 miles to go yet, before that ritual needs to be done. Hopefully I can get it in before it gets TOO COLD! It's supposed to hit the high 40s tonight.

Welcome to the madness we call the BMW family. If you need some help, Sharon knows where to find me. I'd be happy to show you around your bike, maybe get your hands just a little dirty while learning about it.

Daddy showed his youngest daughter how to use tools (he was a maintenance man, and also occasionally helped my uncles with their cycles), but I'm never averse to help with servicing. Not all bikes are the same. I see you're in Manitowoc. Manitowoc is my hometown. I moved to my present location for a better job opportunity, several years ago. The rest of the family still lives up in your neck of the woods.

Back