• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hit and run

I hope someone saw it and comes forward. Like Paul said, get the police involved NOW. Local TV news stations are good about this as well.

I bet the idiot in question was texting or on the phone, basically distracted. May be he didn't have insurance or a license and I suppose it's also possible he was under the influence. Whatever the case, he didn't want to stop because he would be in more trouble than a simple accident. Good luck in finding this creep.

I can't believe that this wasn't given more attention by someone.

I don't know if it would make a difference, but i would be screaming bloody murder to someone.

now as to the visibility question:

even as a motorcyclist, i can't tell you how many times that i have been behind a bike and thuoght to myself "there just is not enough lighting on the back of that bike". I'm not talking about the itty bitty LED tail lights that some of the rice rockets call taillights... even our very own BMW's.

For that very reason, my hard bags all have SOLA reflective tape on them, and all of my bikes have auxilliary LED lights on the back. I'm a big fan of SKENE, but there are plenty of others out there that make a big difference. IN fact, i have more than a few times had people stop me and ask what i have added to my bike to make it so visible.

I was rear-ended once... i don't ever want it to happen again.

sdc

I, too, am sorry for the bad luck

To have been hit by a completely heartless a hole.
A couple good suggestions here- one, to check all the body shops or car repair places in the surrounding 100 miles -possibly a daunting task- to see who came in for front end and undercarriage damages,

Next, I, too, suggest staying on the local police's radar by constantly calling them and as someone else mentioned, climb up the command chain to the top- if need be.
The less satisfaction you get from the police, or if your case doesn't get continued attention, step even higher and bug your local representatives, and even judges.

Next step, call all the local papers, and see if the TV stations run any sort of program where they "ask the public" if they saw or know of anything that might move the case forward. Seek even national TV or network attention if you can.

I mean, what else do you have going on right now?

PS- so glad your injuries weren't worse. Heal well- physically AND emotionally AND mentally.

Hit & Run

The right answer is to move on but I can't help but think that the POS that hit you will have no problem doing this again. How someone can walk away from his fellow man in your state -- especially after having caused the injuries -- is beyond me. Have you thought about posting something to Facebook or Twitter with photos of the bike and your injuries asking anyone who sees a vehicle with front end damage to report it? I would also think he's going to have this fixed by his insurance company so why not contact them and body shops in the area to see if you can catch this dirtbag? Sorry, but I have this unrealistic desire for the world to be fair and just.

Kent

Your story is very frightening. I am glad to hear that you are alright, despite the initial injuries sustained. Hope that the driver had some body work repaired professionally and he can be traced, located and prosecuted.

What I've been able to get so far is that it was a dualie pickup. A beast like that can sustain a fair amount of damage before it's not driveable. And it doesn't take much of an impact to total a bike. So I doubt the guy took it to a shop. If he can hit me and leave me in the middle of an intersection he probably doesn't care about getting a little ding fixed.

The good news is I'm home and walking short distances with a cane (gave up the walker last weekend), I can take deep breaths and even laugh without pain. Still have to sleep on my back, though. Sticking with the PT and it's helping.

Two more things

1. Insurance reps can sometimes be your friend. Many years ago I was heading home after a music gig (in my car, 2:00 am) and following an old station wagon with one tail-light out. Four lane highway in the city. When the SW pulled over to the shoulder, I switched to the left lane. Then he made a U-turn across my bow. Hit him in the left rear quarter panel. Got my car to the shoulder. Guy continued his U-turn, parked on the opposite shoulder, and came over to see if I was OK. I was, but my car was not drivable. "I'll be right back," and he ran across the road, sat in his car for a couple minutes - thinking about his options, I presume - and drove off. Half an hour later a cop came along. Maybe not the brightest cop in the city, as he didn't want to believe my story though there was nothing in the vicinity I could have hit and the fender was rubbing against the tire. Car gets towed to an ICBC lot and I call a friend who picks me up. Next day, the women processing claims are chatting about their cases over lunch. "Hey, I had a guy in with the vehicle you described. Claimed he was the victim of a hit and run." Never found out what happened to the guy, but that accident ending up not costing me a cent.

2. The moral of my story (not the story of the OP) is that when somebody does something unusual like pulling over to a shoulder, "slow down and get ready." Unusual actions often precede truly stupid actions - like pulling over to the shoulder before making an illegal U-turn across two lanes.

1. Insurance reps can sometimes be your friend. Many years ago I was heading home after a music gig (in my car, 2:00 am) and following an old station wagon with one tail-light out. Four lane highway in the city. When the SW pulled over to the shoulder, I switched to the left lane. Then he made a U-turn across my bow. Hit him in the left rear quarter panel. Got my car to the shoulder. Guy continued his U-turn, parked on the opposite shoulder, and came over to see if I was OK. I was, but my car was not drivable. "I'll be right back," and he ran across the road, sat in his car for a couple minutes - thinking about his options, I presume - and drove off. Half an hour later a cop came along. Maybe not the brightest cop in the city, as he didn't want to believe my story though there was nothing in the vicinity I could have hit and the fender was rubbing against the tire. Car gets towed to an ICBC lot and I call a friend who picks me up. Next day, the women processing claims are chatting about their cases over lunch. "Hey, I had a guy in with the vehicle you described. Claimed he was the victim of a hit and run." Never found out what happened to the guy, but that accident ending up not costing me a cent.

2. The moral of my story (not the story of the OP) is that when somebody does something unusual like pulling over to a shoulder, "slow down and get ready." Unusual actions often precede truly stupid actions - like pulling over to the shoulder before making an illegal U-turn across two lanes.

And I will add that in today's day and age, get your cell phone out and take a picture of his car/person, if you can. Same if you witness it.

Back