• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2011 R1200GS Tire Spec Question

mclintoc

I have a 2011 R1200GS and am looking to order some Continental knobbies. I want to ask you more knowledgeable folks if the following are the correct sizes for the tires:
110/80-19 and 150/70-17.
Thanks,

GSA1200 here and since mounting my Hiedenaus 50/50 road/dirt tires , I wont use anything else for forseeable future! The knobs you mention wear away really too quick, but are VERY good offroad tires and do well on street too. The above Hiedenaus do almost as well in dirt and do a TON better on street for miles. My front will go 14000+ easy and my rears are going over 10000m..

Not so fast

Marked on the tires on your bike....

Forgive please, that may not be the correct answer he/she is looking for.
It is possible that different size tires have been mounted on the bike.
I have seen both 140/80 and 160/70 tires mounted on the rear wheel.
Go with the Owners manual, or check the web on Conti's site. (Or Metzeler, etc.)
Max

Last edited:
GSA1200 here and since mounting my Hiedenaus 50/50 road/dirt tires , I wont use anything else for forseeable future! The knobs you mention wear away really too quick, but are VERY good offroad tires and do well on street too. The above Hiedenaus do almost as well in dirt and do a TON better on street for miles. My front will go 14000+ easy and my rears are going over 10000m..

Thanks, for the replies, folks. I will look into the Hiedenaus. A note to all you folks getting ready to change the front tire on your GS: A 23mm allen wrench is very hard to come by!

Thanks, for the replies, folks. I will look into the Hiedenaus. A note to all you folks getting ready to change the front tire on your GS: A 23mm allen wrench is very hard to come by!

Not that hard, most bike shops would have, or can get this tool that works just fine. Or you can order this from Touratech.Screen Shot 2013-09-12 at 9.13.48 AM.png

I have a 2011 R1200GS and am looking to order some Continental knobbies. I want to ask you more knowledgeable folks if the following are the correct sizes for the tires:
110/80-19 and 150/70-17.
Thanks,

I also have a 2011 R1200GS and those are the correct tire sizes according to my Rider's Manual and according to what came on the bike when it was new. They are radial tires of course.

Dave McDougall

Notice the OP is in Illinois..and the poster touting Hiednau's is in Clovis..

To the OP, keep in mind the Hiedis are great tires but, can be a handful in the wet...and the fronts will probably constantly leak a bit..nature of the beast..

TKC's are probably a better wet weather bet..however, some say they feel no difference in them..(Heidis) Lot's of discussion at ADV Rider...

Back