• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

unusual mutations of airheadis motorcyclis found in the wild.

Roguetek

So, I had to change out the carbs on my 77/7 r75.

boy, did -that- turn out to be an adventure.

See, the carbs were not spec for that bike, they were off of a 78 r100. Installation of a set of properly jetted carbs for a r75 resulted in the bike -immediately failing to run.

Adjusting the carbs as richly as possible resulted in anemic operation of the motor, resulting in what looked suspiciously like fuel starvation when the throttle was opened.

this resulted in closer inspection of the motor...revealing that the heads were not /7 heads, but /6 heads... curiouser..

jetting the carbs all the way out to .175/.518(yes, I know, not a custom size), and adjusting the carbs to moderate richness resulted in pleasing performance, if somewhat poor fuel consumption.

As near as we can figure, someone put an r90 top end and a .336 cam in this thing, -we think-. I've not had a chance to open it up and find out yet.

it does -not- perform like a 750cc bike.

however, it has a few limitations.

I/met's running a /5 4 speed gearbox, and a 37:11 rear end. this results in it being 'quick' but not 'fast'. Also, horrible gas milage.

Rummaging has produced an older 5 speed w/kicker, and a 33:11 rear end.

I -think- this will wind up right around 75mph @4,000rpm, with fuel consumption right around 40mpg.

Thoughts?

The final drive ratio should vastly improve your fuel economy and top end. All airhead transmissions turn at a rate of 1 to 1 in high gear, so the transmission wouldn't change a thing. I am sending a PM about the 37:11 final drive.

Back