• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Which GS?

kaltblitz

I'm trying to decide whether I want to look for and buy an older R100GS or a newer R1150GS. Most riding will be done on pavement with probably the odd fire trail or gravel road thrown in. My budget will probably be around $6k.

I love the idea of the R100GS being lighter (they certainly are easier to push if need be) and simpler for maintenance. There also just seems to be a heavy appeal any airhead has to me.

I know the R1150GS will have better brakes and be more refined for long freeway travel (which I intend to do plenty of). I worry about them being a tad overly complex to work on myself though.

Any thoughts or advice?

I would go with the 1150GS. In most aspects it's no more mechanically complicated than an Airhead and where it is, you get some substantial benefits for that additional complexity (i.e ABS, better brakes, 6 speed tyranny, higher output alternator, etc).

The 100GS will be cheaper to maintain, but will require more basic maintenance than the 1150. The 100GS is easier to work on for mechanically minded people. Lighter off road and will take more off road abuse. Cable clutch, so no leaky clutch slave. Less power. Major maintenance will be quicker and cheaper!!!!!

The 1150 will have servo brakes which are very sensitive especially for delicate braking on loose surfaces. The 1150 is a pig in the weight category and more of it is up high. Harder to modulate the throttle w/ the 1150. Intergrated ABS and $ervo$, a PITA to bleed. The 1150 doesn't hold value well. Basic maintenance is more time consuming and dealer parts are more costly. Better for more road miles than the 100GS. More power, smoother on pavement and better ride on the super slab with plenty of power. More high tech costly crap to go bad and cost $$$$$ to repair.

For the same money you'll get a nicer 1150 that for the 100GS.

I have an R80 G/S and an R1150RS, and the G/S is worth more, easier to maintain. The G/S requires a lot more tinkering, but I like that stuff. The 1150 requires oil changes, and brake evac every two years.

Both are fine

The 100GS will be cheaper to maintain, but will require more basic maintenance than the 1150. The 100GS is easier to work on for mechanically minded people. Lighter off road and will take more off road abuse. Cable clutch, so no leaky clutch slave. Less power. Major maintenance will be quicker and cheaper!!!!!

The 1150 will have servo brakes which are very sensitive especially for delicate braking on loose surfaces. The 1150 is a pig in the weight category and more of it is up high. Harder to modulate the throttle w/ the 1150. Intergrated ABS and $ervo$, a PITA to bleed. The 1150 doesn't hold value well. Basic maintenance is more time consuming and dealer parts are more costly. Better for more road miles than the 100GS. More power, smoother on pavement and better ride on the super slab with plenty of power. More high tech costly crap to go bad and cost $$$$$ to repair.

For the same money you'll get a nicer 1150 that for the 100GS.

I have an R80 G/S and an R1150RS, and the G/S is worth more, easier to maintain. The G/S requires a lot more tinkering, but I like that stuff. The 1150 requires oil changes, and brake evac every two years.

I have had both and the R100GS is more like an oversized DR650. 60 hp so two up on the interstate is pushing it. Great on fire roads and jeep trail and maybe single track if you don't mind some dings and scratches on it. If you stay on fire roads, forest service roads and county dirt roads the GS1150 is fine. Highway it'll get better gas mileage and a lot more confortable so again, like the others find a good used 1150. . . normal maintenance is about the same if you do it yourself.

K1200LT R100GSPDc DR650

Back