• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1978 r100s

godfather

The R90 I was looking at sold so now I plan on looking at a 1978 R100S this week.

Less than 2000 miles on tires (metzeler lazertec) fresh tuneup and liquids end to end.
It has BMW side cases (no cracks no leaks). Newer brake pads with SS lines.
80,000 miles all original except heated grips and new taller wind shield on the S fairing.
1/2 " x 1.5" dent in tank near the right side of the tank.

Since I am not familiar with the R100S, are there any inherent issues I should be concerned with, or any specific areas to check out. I do know about the basics of looking at any used motorcycles, just curious about this particular model.
From the photos it looks like the clutch adjuster at the lever is out quite far, so it may need a clutch.

Any pros or cons about the 78' R100S are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Nothing particular to consider with a '78. Eventually it will need a top end...80K is starting to get close to that time for at least considering it. Ask about valve clearances...how have they held up between checking? If they've been closing up quickly within each 5K miles, it's getting to be that time. Ask about other maintenace such as transmission splines (if it needs a clutch, he's probably not been inside there) and wheel splines.

I doubt that the clutch cable adjuster at the handlebar being adjuster out (taking up slack) is an indicator of clutch problem. It simply could be, and is most likely the case, that the adjuster at the back of the trans. just needs adjusted "in" (taking up slack) and the handlebar adjuster can then be adjusted back in to compensate for it.

Or...the cable could simply be stretched.

If you had an R60/5 you're fairly familiar with this R100S as it's simply evolutionary changes and a combination of small handlebar and fairing that make it a specific model.

The real changes to Airheads came in 1981 and they make the previous versions farm equipment in comparison. Light flywheel/easy clutch, brakes not under tank any more, no-adjustment-required calipers, electronic ignition, nikasil cylinders. Prices for these are often pretty close to those for early /7s and the old models are overpriced when they are.

Here, for example, is a random ad (just hit my email) for a fabulously better Airhead than a '78 R100S, and if the price of the latter isn't something in the range of 1/3 of this it's overpriced. http://marketplace.ibmwr.org/ads/view/id/213881

100s

Godfather,

The bike you're talking about in Grand Rapids, Bob sold the bike to me on Friday last week. I sent him a check and picking the bike up in a couple weeks. The clutch was replaced at 55k and the spline was taken care of at that time. The tank will be stripped, dent removed, relined and painted along with the scratched fairing and faded cowling. The paint job on this two tone is expensive. My neighbor has the exact same bike.
There is another nice 1983 100s conversion from a RT after I ran the Vin
With a Corbin seat near you, too.
:banghead

QUOTE=Godfather;896315]The R90 I was looking at sold so now I plan on looking at a 1978 R100S this
week.

Less than 2000 miles on tires (metzeler lazertec) fresh tuneup and liquids end to end.
It has BMW side cases (no cracks no leaks). Newer brake pads with SS lines.
80,000 miles all original except heated grips and new taller wind shield on the S fairing.
1/2 " x 1.5" dent in tank near the right side of the tank.

Since I am not familiar with the R100S, are there any inherent issues I should be concerned with, or any specific areas to check out. I do know about the basics of looking at any used motorcycles, just curious about this particular model.
From the photos it looks like the clutch adjuster at the lever is out quite far, so it may need a clutch.

Any pros or cons about the 78' R100S are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

1983 100s

Godfather,

This is a really nice bike, too. It's not too far from you and the only concern is it was converted from a RT based on vin. If you want a bike to ride that looks great, this is a better bike. I just was crazy enough to want to restore either a 90s or a 100s. My neighbor won't ride the identical bike with me due to what people will think.:laugh.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/3986702702.html

What Kurt said

I only have about 48k on my '78 and not much adjustment left on the valves......time for head job. Then again, I had over 80k on my '80 r100rs Euro Mdl. and plenty of adj. left and never had the heads off since new.

DW

Godfather,

The bike you're talking about in Grand Rapids, Bob sold the bike to me on Friday last week. I sent him a check and picking the bike up in a couple weeks. The clutch was replaced at 55k and the spline was taken care of at that time. The tank will be stripped, dent removed, relined and painted along with the scratched fairing and faded cowling. The paint job on this two tone is expensive. My neighbor has the exact same bike.
There is another nice 1983 100s conversion from a RT after I ran the Vin
With a Corbin seat near you, too.
:banghead

That is/WAS the one. I talked to Bob this am and he told me he is waiting for a deposit this week.
Best of luck with it.

M

Back